ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Worry about possible overstay situation

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Worry about possible overstay situation

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:20 am

Hello everyone,

On previous posts I've explained that I'm still waiting for my visa to be processed yet but I'm still in the UK with my partner, it's been more than 6 months sinces I've entered on a visit visa before my hearing for appeal took place, I've recieved successful decision approx. only 2 months after i've entered and was told back then that I'm legally allowed to be in the country beyond the 6 months visit period as my status has changed after receiving the decision and only problem would arise if I were to fly out for any urgent reason during this time until I get my visa, but recently others are saying to me that what I was told are wrong and that i'm now an overstayer and might have issue coming back even after my visa is issued. is that right? if yes, how could it be dealt with moving forward?

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Re: Worry about possible overstay situation

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:24 am

Just adding to this that it is partially not my fault as this very huge delay from the Home Office and the 8 or 12 weeks period of implementing the decision must've took place 3-4 months into my visit visa period which mean that I could have stayed within my visa limits if my visa was issued on time.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:48 am

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:24 am
Just adding to this that it is partially not my fault as this very huge delay from the Home Office and the 8 or 12 weeks period of implementing the decision must've took place 3-4 months into my visit visa period which mean that I could have stayed within my visa limits if my visa was issued on time.
Struggling to follow here. Oman citizens don't need a visa for the UK. So I'm guessing you entered on EVW. Correct?
Have you then claimed asylum?
Or what visa have you applied for?
Has this visa now been granted?
Was there a letter from the HO to this effect?
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:44 am

Struggling to follow here. Oman citizens don't need a visa for the UK. So I'm guessing you entered on EVW. Correct?
Yes
No
what visa have you applied for?
Family Reunion - partner of a refugee
Appeal allowed, but visa still being processed
Recieved an email of decision overturn and was asked to resubmit passport to VAC which I did weeks ago, other than that currently I only have the court decision document as a proof of legal status

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:59 am

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:44 am
Yes
No
what visa have you applied for?
Family Reunion - partner of a refugee
Appeal allowed, but visa still being processed
Recieved an email of decision overturn and was asked to resubmit passport to VAC which I did weeks ago, other than that currently I only have the court decision document as a proof of legal status
Everything takes time now. You have to sit back and wait. Not sure how it works for partners of refugees regarding international passports. It might be taken and not given back, but don't quote me on that.
If that happens, you would need to apply for a travel document.

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:15 am

Everything takes time now. You have to sit back and wait. Not sure how it works for partners of refugees regarding international passports. It might be taken and not given back, but don't quote me on that.
If that happens, you would need to apply for a travel document.
Yes im aware indeed and been waiting patiently for a long time now but my question currently is i'm I currently considered an overstayer or not? plus I dont understand why would my passport be taken away as I'm not the refugee here but my partner is, has this happened before in some instances?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:26 am

If you made an in-time valid application in the UK, then you are not an overstayer.

Else, if you entered more than six months ago, then you are an overstayer.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:56 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:26 am
If you made an in-time valid application in the UK, then you are not an overstayer.

Does section 3c applies in my case when my application was made overseas and not in the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:01 pm

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:56 am
vinny wrote:

Does section 3c applies in my case when my application was made overseas and not in the UK?
No it does not apply if an initial application was made overseas.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:47 pm

what VAC were you asked to submit your passport to? as in UK one or abroad
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:01 pm
binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:56 am
vinny wrote:

No it does not apply if an initial application was made overseas.
Could I possibly be asked for it when arriving back to UK after my visa is processed? is it possible that I could be refused to enter based on it? would explaining this in full details to border officer help me to avoid being refused to enter?

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:54 pm

meself2 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:47 pm
No not in UK, I've posted my passport to a family member back home to be submitted on my behalf

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:57 pm

Why did you do that?

You need to enter the UK on the family reunion entry clearance visa and get stamped in to effectively "activate" the visa. How do you plan on doing it if you are in the UK?

You are still an overstayer I'm the UK if you have been here for more than 6 months. This has nothing to do with ukvi and everything to do with you not following the rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:59 pm

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:54 pm
meself2 wrote:
No not in UK, I've posted my passport to a family member back home to be submitted on my behalf
And there's your problem.
If they expected you to submit your passport in your home country, so you could enter with proper clearance, they wouldn't expect you to switch your status in the UK.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:57 pm
Why did you do that?

You need to enter the UK on the family reunion entry clearance visa and get stamped in to effectively "activate" the visa. How do you plan on doing it if you are in the UK?
I couldn't leave my partner alone indefinitely, since I do hold a valid schengen visa I was planning to go spain for couple of days visit to a friend and then come back to UK to activate it, i'm very worried now that I could be asked about my overstay and never thought that the advice I was given previously that my status has changed after recieving court decision could be challenged now.

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:13 pm

meself2 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:59 pm
binji9186 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
If they expected you to submit your passport in your home country, so you could enter with proper clearance, they wouldn't expect you to switch your status in the UK.
we checked with VAC previously and were told that it is possible to authorise a friend or a family member to collect my documents, so it will be on records that I wasn't the one who collected it.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:28 pm

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:13 pm
meself2 wrote:
binji9186 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
we checked with VAC previously and were told that it is possible to authorise a friend or a family member to collect my documents, so it will be on records that I wasn't the one who collected it.
Your letter to resubmit your passport should have said something along these line;

The decision to grant you a visa blah blah blah.
In order for you to do this, you would be required to submit your passport to the VAC center. If already in the UK, you would need to go back to your home country and do this.

This isn't verbatim of course, just an assumption.

Now, the HO records would show that you're still in country. You've now completely destroyed all the immigration rules by doing this.
Fingerprinting was started mostly because of scenarios like this. Where people would get UK visas, stay in the UK and send passport back home for renewal. Without actually being on home soil.

VAC aren't the HO, they are just regular people doing a job as a middle man. They couldn't care less who picks up your passport or where you are. They just need to know that you authorised it. Almost like a banker would do.

I can't even think of a way forward at this juncture! :?

binji9186
Newly Registered
Oman

Post by binji9186 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:38 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:28 pm
binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:13 pm
meself2 wrote:
binji9186 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
Your letter to resubmit your passport should have said something along these line;

The decision to grant you a visa blah blah blah.
In order for you to do this, you would be required to submit your passport to the VAC center. If already in the UK, you would need to go back to your home country and do this.

This isn't verbatim of course, just an assumption.

Now, the HO records would show that you're still in country. You've now completely destroyed all the immigration rules by doing this.
Fingerprinting was started mostly because of scenarios like this. Where people would get UK visas, stay in the UK and send passport back home for renewal. Without actually being on home soil.

VAC aren't the HO, they are just regular people doing a job as a middle man. They couldn't care less who picks up your passport or where you are. They just need to know that you authorised it. Almost like a banker would do.

I can't even think of a way forward at this juncture! :?
is this possibly why they are now taking so long to process my visa? could I be refused visa issue on that basis after all this wait? if visa is issued subsequently, does that means im off the hook?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:02 pm

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:38 pm
if visa is issued subsequently, does that means im off the hook?
and what will happen then?
to get it right you need to enter the UK on your new visa; how would you do that without having an exit stamp before the expiration date of your tourist visa? Even if issued, it will cause issues with renewal.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:21 pm

is this possibly why they are now taking so long to process my visa? could I be refused visa issue on that basis after all this wait? if visa is issued subsequently, does that means im off the hook?
I couldn't tell you that for a fact. However, you can't show blatant disregard for the rules and expect that there wouldn't be repercussions. At every turn, you break the rules.

Let's see how things pan out.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:34 pm

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:07 pm
I couldn't leave my partner alone indefinitely,
Why not? According to your previous thread, your partner has been in the UK for 4 years in a few weeks time.
immigration-for-family-members/refugee- ... l#p2092088

You might want to check if your health insurance in still valid for your visit to the UK. The NHS bills at 150% of the national cost. If you are in England, NHS England wants the estimated cost of treatment up front.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:37 pm

A bad situation that turned in your favour you just turned it all upside down by yourself.
Even though HO sometimes gets it wrong but rules are rules and to be adhered to. Imagine what chaos it would be if all immigrants or visa liable person has such mindset.
Hopi g there is a redemption from what you brought on yourself.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:21 pm

binji9186 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:20 am
I've recieved successful decision approx. only 2 months after i've entered and was told back then that I'm legally allowed to be in the country beyond the 6 months visit period as my status has changed after receiving the decision
Who told you this?
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."