ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Steps after British naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rahuldwh2000
United Kingdom

Steps after British naturalisation

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:48 am

Dear members

While I am waiting for decision on citizenship application, have got a few questions to prepare for the steps after naturalisation. This is based on current Indian nationality.

Do we take following steps in that order?

1. Return the BRP once naturalisation certificate received
2. Apply for British Passport
3. Surrender Indian passport
4. Apply for OCI

It is said one must surrender the Indian passport within 3 months of acquiring foreign nationality/naturalised. Is there a requirement to provide British passport also while surrendering Indian passport? What if getting British passport - step 2 above takes more than 3 months? Which documents are required to surrender the Indian passport?

Which documents will be required for step 2 for first adult passports including one for 16 year old?

Regards

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Steps after British naturalisation

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:35 am

You will lose Indian nationality as soon as you acquire British nationality (according to Indian law). For steps on your Indian passport that has to do with Indian legislation, not British, same goes for OCI and surrendering Indian passport - other members may be able to advise on that better.

To apply for your first British passport you will need to send your current passports and your naturalisation certificate, plus the details of one professional referee (it can be the same person if they have known all the applicants long enough). You will also need a digital picture if applying online. Your Indian passport will be returned to you when the British passport is printed.

For timelines, be aware that once you attend the ceremony and you obtain your citizenship you won't be able to travel until you get your British passport (which could take 10 weeks or more, as applications are backlogged). If you attempt to travel back to the UK on your Indian passport, you may well face issues once you are a British national.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

rahuldwh2000
United Kingdom

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:46 am

Thank you so much for your reply :)

Can it be that I first surrender my current valid Indian passport and then apply for British passport along with cancelled Indian passport? One anyway looses Indian nationality after being naturalised.

I am concerned that if I give my Indian passport while applying for British passport prior to surrendering it and if this step takes more than 3 months, might cause issue?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:07 am

I am not an expert in Indian law so please take this advice with a grain of salt.

Here https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/in ... n-passport I see:
Applicants of Indian Origin, who acquired foreign nationality on or before 31 May 2010 and produced last held Indian passport, will be issued 'Surrender Certificate' on payment of miscellaneous service fee of £ 20.00 plus applicable charges including Consular Surcharge of £ 2.00 and applicable charges for M/s VFS (UK). Penalty for misuse of Indian passport would be imposed if the last held Indian passport expired on or after 1 January 2005 and it is retained beyond three years i.e. not surrendered or the PIO travelled on this passport beyond the grace period of three months or the validity of the last held Indian passport was renewed after acquiring foreign nationality;
I think the points highlighted mean that you have 3 years to return the passport, and the 3 months grace period applies to travelling. If my interpretation is correct, it means that you would have 3 years to surrender your Indian passport (but must not travel on it).
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

ganeshb5u
Newly Registered
India

Post by ganeshb5u » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:30 pm

Hi rahuldwh2000,
I am also looking for similar information for my son who is being registered as a UK citizen. While i am on ILR.
Please do share your experiences, it will be very helpful.

Regards
G

rahuldwh2000
United Kingdom

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:15 am

Dear board,

Do we need to send current valid foreign passport along with the passport which was stamped for tier 2 general visa while coming to UK for the first time and if that passport expired/different from the current passport? The passport application guide says - send foreign passport used to enter UK.

Regarding sending back BRP after getting registration/naturalisation certificate, can we send BRPs for all family members (who got naturalised) in the same one envelope to UKVI or each BRP should be sent separately?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:09 pm

rahuldwh2000 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:15 am
Dear board,

Do we need to send current valid foreign passport along with the passport which was stamped for tier 2 general visa while coming to UK for the first time and if that passport expired/different from the current passport? Yes!The passport application guide says - send foreign passport used to enter UK. That's what the rule says.

Regarding sending back BRP after getting registration/naturalisation certificate, can we send BRPs for all family members (who got naturalised) in the same one envelope to UKVI or each BRP should be sent separately?Cut them in 4 and send them together, with a note saying everyone is now naturalised as a Brit.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

rahuldwh2000
United Kingdom

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:13 pm

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciate it.

Will send both passports (current and the expired one) for passport application.

I guess - will send separate envelopes with naturalisation/registration certificates for 3 of us applying for the passport.

rahuldwh2000
United Kingdom

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi, can someone please share the address (possibly with its source) where we need to return the BRPs after receiving naturalisation (adults) and registration (minors) certificates?

This is to ensure I am returning BRPs to correct address for self, spouse and one under 18 kid.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:02 pm

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

rahuldwh2000
United Kingdom

What do I need to send along with supporting documents

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:56 am

Hi

I am sending 3 supporting documents for first adult British passport such as naturalisation certificate, foreign passport that was stamped with visa to come to UK and current foreign passport.

Is there any application form that I need to send along?

While filling in online application, I opted for secure delivery for the passport office to send back supporting documents.

I wanted to check if we also need to send self addressed envelopes for them to send back 1. Supporting documents as listed above 2. The new British passport?

Regards
Rahul

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: What do I need to send along with supporting documents

Post by Ticktack » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:36 am

rahuldwh2000 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:56 am
Hi

I am sending 3 supporting documents for first adult British passport such as naturalisation certificate, foreign passport that was stamped with visa to come to UK and current foreign passport.

Is there any application form that I need to send along? No

While filling in online application, I opted for secure delivery for the passport office to send back supporting documents.

I wanted to check if we also need to send self addressed envelopes for them to send back 1. Supporting documents as listed above 2. The new British passport? No

Regards
Rahul
All you need for your passport application is Naturalisation cert and other passport(s).
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

rahuldwh2000
United Kingdom

Post by rahuldwh2000 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:53 am

Thanks for your reply 😊