ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Use of force to obtain thumb prints

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

legendary
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Use of force to obtain thumb prints

Post by legendary » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:41 pm

Hi

I am currently on reporting requirements under Bail 201 conditions (previously IS96) and today, I was asked to come into a room to attend an interview, where after a brief interview, three men handcuffed me and then took my left hand and used my thumb to apply thumbprints in various places on a number of documents, which now I have copies of and they are ETD documents issued by the High Commission of India and filled in the Home Office branch where I report.

I did not want to sign any documents without any legal advice, let alone be made to sign whilst being assaulted where they took my hands and fingerprinted whatever they wanted to and applied tactics to maximise pain under my ears.

How can I deal with this? Is there anywhere I can report this? Can I ask the High Commission of India to ignore these documents since I did not sign them of my free will?

secret.simon

Re: Use of force to obtain thumb prints

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:15 pm

The use of force in such case is almost certainly illegal and should be reported to
(a) the local police where the incident occurred,
(b) the Home Office itself, via the Complaints procedure for Immigration Enforcement,
(c) the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration("chiefinspector@icibi.gov.uk").
(d) your local MP's office.

As for the High Commission of India, obviously the HCI and Indian government are not subject to British law (at least not for the past 75 years) and their workings are up to them.

In 2021, India and the UK have signed a treaty speeding up deportations of Indian citizens illegally resident in the UK.
Gov.UK: UK and India sign ground-breaking partnership migration deal wrote:On illegal migration, the Partnership will ensure swifter and more efficient returns by accelerating timescales for removals, by committing appropriate resources to facilitate returns, and steps to make it easier for Indian nationals to be identified and returned.
Reuters: India to take back illegal migrants to UK in return for visas for young workers wrote:The pact will provide enhanced employment opportunities for 3,000 young Indian professionals annually, in return for India agreeing to take back any of its citizens who are living illegally in the UK.
So it may be that the HCI are working with the Home Office to expedite such returns and may be unlikely to slow the process down.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: Use of force to obtain thumb prints

Post by JB007 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:44 am

The new agreement with initial validity of seven years allows ‘forced repatriation’ of individuals who refuse to cooperate but whose nationality is confirmed. In cases where the UK has evidence that an Indian national is unlawfully present in the UK, and is the parent of a minor child born in the UK but whose birth has not been registered with the Indian mission, India will accept a UK birth certificate as evidence for securing an emergency travel document for the child only if the nationality of both the parents and their relationship with the child is conclusively established.
Besides setting out details how suspected illegal Indians would be identified and returned within specified time limits, the agreement includes a new exchange scheme by which 3,000 young Indian professionals would be allowed to take up jobs in the UK for two years
https://www.khaleejtimes.com/editorials ... l-migrants