ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

To Get ILR/PR Must I Be On SAME VISA CLASS For 5yrs

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ESCO
Newly Registered

To Get ILR/PR Must I Be On SAME VISA CLASS For 5yrs

Post by ESCO » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Hello,
Wonder if anyone can answer my question.
To Get Permernent Residency Must I Be On SAME VISA CLASS For 5Yrs
I am currently working on 2yrs WP visa (Pre Tier 1). On expiry of my 2Yrs WP, I want to change to Tier 1 for 3yrs.
So at the end of 5yrs I would have done 2Yrs (WP) + 3Yrs (Tier1) = 5yrs for PR

I've always thought that to get your PR/ILR you must have been legally resident (with the exception of your years as a studnet) in the UK for 5Yrs.

I just read somewhere (I would try to locate the link and paste later) that after 5yrs, You can get PR/ILR ONLY if you have been on the "SAME VISA CLASS"
for 5yrs (ie if you did 2yrs WP and Extended for another 3Yrs WP all 5yrs must be WP, or all 5Yrs must be Tier 1) , otherwise you cannot get PR/ILR.

Can someone please clarify if this is TRUE or NOT? Any authentic/useful links to the truth would also be helpful

WP - Work Permit, PR - Permernent Residence, ITL - Indefinete Leave to Remain.

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:48 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.