ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR status after citizenship approval for children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mapreader
Hong Kong

ILR status after citizenship approval for children

Post by mapreader » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:44 am

Dear all,

I would like to clarify about the ILR status after the granting of citizenship.

Understand the ILR status (and the BRP) will become invalid after attending the citizenship ceremony. One cannot travel then, until getting a British passport. In other words, the ceremony is the timeline to observe, if one may need to travel.

But children would not need to attend the ceremony. So I would like to check whether children's ILR status (and the BRP) would become invalid upon approval of the citizenship.

Would like to clarify that for travelling plan with kids.

Thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ILR status after citizenship approval for children

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:18 pm

From the date children are registered as British citizens (date on certificate - not approval email) their ILR lapses as no longer needed. Therefore the BRP is redundant also.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:14 pm

Thanks alterhase58 for your feedback.

If we travelled out of the UK and then return, we used to use the BRP for identification verification when re-enter.

In this situation (children registered as British citizens where BRP became redundant), and before obtainin the British passport, is there any document that can be used for re-entering UK? I gather the children already had a valid status to live in the UK. Hoping to avoid unnecessary issues at the immigration checkpoint.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:35 pm

mapreader wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:14 pm

If we travelled out of the UK and then return, we used to use the BRP for identification verification when re-enter.

In this situation (children registered as British citizens where BRP became redundant), and before obtainin the British passport, is there any document that can be used for re-entering UK? I gather the children already had a valid status to live in the UK. Hoping to avoid unnecessary issues at the immigration checkpoint.
The usual advice and the rule of thumb is that every British Citizen should apply for and receive a British passport before exiting the UK. Whatever problems you encounter for not following that rule is entirely up to you.

Most people don't see the UK as a country with rules, sadly.
It's simply seen as a place of residence. I don't understand why.

Can your children enter your country of origin without a passport? I believe the answer is no.

Same scenario happens here too. ILR BRP is now invalid. Why try to use an invalid document to enter the UK. It just shows blatant disregards to the rules.

I also believe that you were required to obtain a passport from your country of origin before you could exit. Same thing applies here in the United Kingdom.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Bash_
Syria

Post by Bash_ » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:43 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:35 pm
mapreader wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:14 pm

The usual advice and the rule of thumb is that every British Citizen should apply for and receive a British passport before exiting the UK. Whatever problems you encounter for not following that rule is entirely up to you.

Most people don't see the UK as a country with rules, sadly.
It's simply seen as a place of residence. I don't understand why.

Can your children enter your country of origin without a passport? I believe the answer is no.

Same scenario happens here too. ILR BRP is now invalid. Why try to use an invalid document to enter the UK. It just shows blatant disregards to the rules.

I also believe that you were required to obtain a passport from your country of origin before you could exit. Same thing applies here in the United Kingdom.
Unfortunately, I think the issue does stem from a non-functioning government that doesn't enforce the rules properly.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:34 pm

Unfortunately, I think the issue does stem from a non-functioning government that doesn't enforce the rules properly.
The UK is just nice and flexible, but people intend on not just bending it to see how far it can go, they don't mind breaking it either.

Countries like America would not let their citizens enter the US with any foreign passport. Even US citizens are questioned randomly when they return to the US, on where they've been and how long they've been away for. In very harsh tones if I might add. Things we take for granted here.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:08 pm

Thanks Ticktack for your feedback.

I understand the rules and I would very much like to obey them.

On the other hand, for a practical situation of citizenship application, which probably many applicants would encounter
. when applying for it it is uncertain how long it will take for the approval.
. so when there is need to travel out of the country (e.g. maybe a short trip to visit elderly family members) there is always consideration needed - it is ideal to wait for the result settled. But it would take an unknown period (best can be 2 months, worst can be 2 years). And with the result one need to apply for the passport which would take another 8 weeks.
- for adult there is still some leeway - as after the approval one can still schedule the ceremony within 3 months, and before that the ILR BRP is still valid. But it seems this is not the case for children.
- so for a family with kids, it is difficult to decide for travel need coming up after the citizenship application.

And the matter is worse with the pandemic in the last 2 years, where a lot of trips to see family members need to be held up.

What I want to say - I respect the rules, but the rules also impose difficult situation to some cases like above - where the persons involved had no intention to disregard the rule.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:44 am

mapreader wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:08 pm

On the other hand, for a practical situation of citizenship application, which probably many applicants would encounter
. so when there is need to travel out of the country (e.g. maybe a short trip to visit elderly family members) there is always consideration needed - it is ideal to wait for the result settled. But it would take an unknown period (best can be 2 months, worst can be 2 years). And with the result one need to apply for the passport which would take another 8 weeks.
- for adult there is still some leeway - as after the approval one can still schedule the ceremony within 3 months, and before that the ILR BRP is still valid. But it seems this is not the case for children.
- so for a family with kids, it is difficult to decide for travel need coming up after the citizenship application.

And the matter is worse with the pandemic in the last 2 years, where a lot of trips to see family members need to be held up.

What I want to say - I respect the rules, but the rules also impose difficult situation to some cases like above - where the persons involved had no intention to disregard the rule.
I get what you're saying 100%. Unfortunately, it's a half empty, half full scenario. It always depends on the perspective you're looking at it from.
There's no way to satisfy all parties involved.

Quick scenarios based on your correspondence above. Most adults would kill to be made citizens immediately with a simple postage to their homes. Then they still have to go to the local councils to swear allegiance. So even when they've been approved, they are at the mercy of the council. Citizenship can't come soon enough.

For kids, yes they can't travel and have to wait for a passport for 8 weeks. It's just the nature of the beast. My children renewed their British passports in March. Bearing in mind that they are born British, not that it matters. But it was a renewal.
It took about 5 weeks for 1 and 6.5 weeks for the other. Applied for both same day in February. I was having palpitations as we had booked an holiday for the 1st week of April to Canada. Got the passports with 2 weeks to spare.

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes it doesn't matter if it's the 1st, 2nd or 3rd issued passport. You can have delays and one has to plan accordingly.

The alternative to that would have been to travel first, when you come back, then one can apply for citizenship for the child when you know you've time to spare.

Bash_
Syria

Post by Bash_ » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:09 am

I mean if you have an urgent travel need, why not apply for 1-wk fast-track kid passport?

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgen ... ck-service
mapreader wrote:

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:54 pm

mapreader wrote:

...the matter is worse with the pandemic in the last 2 years, where a lot of trips to see family members need to be held up.
You might want to wait anyway if your family members are in Hong Kong (your flag), or China.
COVID spread fears grow as China unwinds zero-tolerance curbs.
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/too ... 022-12-08/