ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

adopting a child

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

trutru
Newly Registered
Nigeria

adopting a child

Post by trutru » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:15 pm

Hello,
please I will need advice on this. This forum has been very helpful to me.
So, My dad has a child outside wedlock, she just turned 8, I m 38 with a 5 years old myself. Both my parents are in their late sixties, I mean they are grandparents already.
This was a big issue in my family, there was alot of apologies and forgiveness and we accepted the child as she is innocent in all of this. The mother of the child is not responsible. as she can just dropped the child as my parents house for days before coming to pick her. the little child which I ll call my sister now doesn't like to stay with her mum.
My parents are old, and for me this is really unnecessary stress
I want to adopt her and bring her over to the Uk. I am ok to look after her, she is just 3 years older than child.
Pls what is the best way to bring her over to the UK? Should I adopt or I sponsor her to come visit and then apply for her to stay?
I ll appreciate ur advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: adopting a child

Post by Ticktack » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:36 am

trutru wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:15 pm
Hello,
please I will need advice on this. This forum has been very helpful to me.
So, My dad has a child outside wedlock, she just turned 8, I m 38 with a 5 years old myself. Both my parents are in their late sixties, I mean they are grandparents already.
This was a big issue in my family, there was alot of apologies and forgiveness and we accepted the child as she is innocent in all of this. The mother of the child is not responsible. as she can just dropped the child as my parents house for days before coming to pick her. the little child which I ll call my sister now doesn't like to stay with her mum.
My parents are old, and for me this is really unnecessary stress
I want to adopt her and bring her over to the Uk. I am ok to look after her, she is just 3 years older than child.
Pls what is the best way to bring her over to the UK? Should I adopt or I sponsor her to come visit and then apply for her to stay?
I ll appreciate ur advice.
Your only way is to adopt her. You have to sort out things with the child's mother first. There would have to be court papers showing that she's given up her parental responsibilities of the child. Your dad as well needs to give up his right as a parent.

Any other way apart from this would be seen as child smuggling or even kidnapping. The fact that she's your half sister wouldn't save you from the full weight of the law.
Even parents "can" be seen as kidnapping a child if the other parent doesn't consent.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:07 am

Adopting family/siblings won't give her access to a visa to live in the UK though you.

She has two parents who are alive, who are responsible for her and she likely has other family in her home country too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

trutru
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by trutru » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:17 am

I see, thank you very much for ur prompt response. Highly appreciated

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:05 am

Adoption by sibling falls under the category of adoption by a relative, also known as a kinship adoption. Generally, adoption agencies do like to keep families together, so kinship adoptions are encouraged whenever possible.

But it could be a very tricky one, even on a good day as stated by CR001.

But based on your Nigerian flag, it's not even remotely possible.
Restrictions
The UK has restricted adoption from the following countries:

Cambodia
Guatemala
Nepal
Haiti
Ethiopia
Nigeria
https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption/adopt ... m-overseas
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!