ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JT97
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JT97 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:02 pm

meself2 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:59 pm
JT97 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:56 pm
The DFA has nothing to do with it so should have no need to remove resources from their processes whilst the ceremonies are taking place.
Partly fair, but passport apps still fall under DFA.
True but the number of people receiving citizenship through naturalisation isn’t comparable to the fbr backlog and the passport backlog which the dfa has been facing all year. A few thousand more passports is nothing to them in the grander scheme of things.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:11 pm

JT97 wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:00 pm
input-output wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:01 am
I consider complaining because the person who deals with our application is inept at best or simply throwing every spanner in the works. Recently, she asked for address confirmation again, having been provided one less than 3 weeks ago. Not a word on actually processing an application, which is a bit too much of a cognitive challenge. And this is a straightforward application! Grrr. Having waited 2 years i have to deal with that mediocracy on top of that
They tried to get my brother to confirm his address twice. Turns out there was a system error that prevented dfa staff from receiving emails from applicants confirming their addresses. It didn’t affect everyone. For example, I replied on the same day as my brother (the day we received the email) and the person handling our case confirmed to me that he had an issue receiving my brother’s email but not mine. So it may just be that as far as the dfa is concerned you never replied to the original email. Would be worth just sending a reply back and the ball should get rolling again.
I understand but she responded to some information in my email response (i.e. I was under impression that a digital photo was needed and hence, alongside the address, I attached the digital photo of the child). She was quick in correcting misunderstanding and NOTING the address. Then, 3 weeks later, she had the another 'groundhog day' and requested address again. Not much of a ball rolling in the past two weeks.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:15 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:59 pm
I'm skimming through the fist few pages of this thread and it's remarkable how different things were back in 2018-2019.

Applications were sent to your local consulate or embassy where there was (perhaps) some kind of initial review, then sent on to Dublin for further review.

Also funny to see people getting fuming mad about having to wait 12 months for their FBR.
my child's FBR back in 2018 was approved in under 2 weeks. Thankfully, it was handled by an experienced consular worker, not some lass who did not qualify for a M&S christmas job and landed FBR one instead to clear the backlog

Themag62
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Themag62 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:53 pm

I have been waiting for over 50 working days for my passport. The received my documents on Sept. 27.
Contacted the passport office via webchat and was told it was being processed, and they would inform their supervisor and "hopefully I would see an update on its processing soon". It's been 10 days and no update. All is not rosy for those waiting for passports either. The article is not mistaken. Passports are backogged.

Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:47 pm
Themag62 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:05 am
News about passport staff and backlog. I know this is the FBR thread, but the passport thread says to only post timelines and since most here will be applying for a passport eventually-https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irela ... s-passport
Hmm, I wonder if that article is mixing up FBRs with passport applications? A backlog of 30k FBRs makes sense. 30k passports does not. Or if there is such a backlog of passport applications, they are keeping up with it.

Compared to FBR, the passport process is fantastic.
The expected turnaround time for our passports is 20 business days (from when your documents arrive to when they mail your passport). We've waited ~2 years for FBR. Another month for a passport is peanuts. My passport seems to be on track.

The process is much more transparent than the FBR. There's a website and you can enter your application number and see where it is in the process.
https://passporttracking.dfa.ie/PassportTracking/

Similar to FBR, you need a witness to sign your passport application. You should know that they will call your witness.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:07 pm

input-output wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:15 pm
[quote=GoingBackBackToEire post_id=2098695 time=<a href="tel:1670453948">1670453948</a> user_id=257805]
I'm skimming through the fist few pages of this thread and it's remarkable how different things were back in 2018-2019.

Applications were sent to your local consulate or embassy where there was (perhaps) some kind of initial review, then sent on to Dublin for further review.

Also funny to see people getting fuming mad about having to wait 12 months for their FBR.
my child's FBR back in 2018 was approved in under 2 weeks. Thankfully, it was handled by an experienced consular worker, not some lass who did not qualify for a M&S christmas job and landed FBR one instead to clear the backlog
[/quote]
input-output wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:59 pm

Input-output do you think you could be a little more civil when discussing your experiences? Most of us on the forum are profoundly grateful for the opportunity to become Irish and are waiting patiently for a small department to deal with a huge backlog. Everybody makes mistakes.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:55 am

JoannaKJ wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:07 pm
input-output wrote:
Input-output do you think you could be a little more civil when discussing your experiences? Most of us on the forum are profoundly grateful for the opportunity to become Irish and are waiting patiently for a small department to deal with a huge backlog. Everybody makes mistakes.
Hi, I am grateful for this forum, which has been nothing but a positive experience for its members. With regards to the work of the government body, which to date is taking more than 2 years (with no end in sight) to confirm the citizenship of the child who just happened to born abroad during the lockdowns of 2020. No other European nation did this to its citizens except for Ireland as essential services (like citizenships and passports) were processed as normal, albeit in a delayed fashion. The child has to rely a non-EU passport she derived from me. Put this into the perspective to understand our grievances.

I still think I was cordial enough but pointing out to the training gaps was a factual, not emotional, observation

Tourin31
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tourin31 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:28 pm

input-output wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:55 am
input-output wrote:
Hi, I am grateful for this forum, which has been nothing but a positive experience for its members. With regards to the work of the government body, which to date is taking more than 2 years (with no end in sight) to confirm the citizenship of the child who just happened to born abroad during the lockdowns of 2020. No other European nation did this to its citizens except for Ireland as essential services (like citizenships and passports) were processed as normal, albeit in a delayed fashion. The child has to rely a non-EU passport she derived from me. Put this into the perspective to understand our grievances.

I still think I was cordial enough but pointing out to the training gaps was a factual, not emotional, observation
Unless you know that the individual who has been working on your application failed to get another job - which you state here - then it's certainly not a factual observation. Some might consider it an emotional response, or a witty one, but it's also incredibly rude.

I'm sorry your infant child has been waiting for two years, but she's not stateless, the Irish government has not neglected their duties towards her or you. In fact many nations are not as generous with their citizenship by descent, and unfortunately she is a victim of a perfect storm of global events. It's not really the fault of the Irish government or the poor individual dealing with your child's application. So please try and style out the last few weeks of the process with some dignity.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:08 pm

Tourin31 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:28 pm

I'm sorry your infant child has been waiting for two years, but she's not stateless, the Irish government has not neglected their duties towards her or you.
OK, finally spoke to someone experienced in the section. My child application was approved on 04/12, some 1 week ago byt we never got notification email. Nevertheless, I am very happy for another (newly confirmed) Paddy in our family. 2years, two confirmations of address and two sets of counter-signed photographs, and its the end of the road.

For someone who approach this phase, the following may be helpful

According to our records, your application was fully approved on 04/12/2022 and it has now gone to the printing/postal section. This section will forward you an email to confirm a tracking number in respect of your certificate and documents in due course. The estimate printing times are approximately 4-5 weeks – unfortunately, I cannot give you an exact timescale for same. This will be a recorded delivery and will require a signature on delivery.

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:10 pm

Hurrah, almost at journey's end after receiving a system email from the DFA today.

Online application: 28.08.2020
Posted: 28.08.2020
Delivered to Balbriggan: 02.09.2020
Email acknowledgement of receipt: 03.09.2020
Address confirmation email: 21.10.2022
Approval email: 13.12.2022

"Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful. A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope."

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:39 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:10 pm
Hurrah, almost at journey's end after receiving a system email from the DFA today.

Online application: 28.08.2020
Posted: 28.08.2020
Delivered to Balbriggan: 02.09.2020
Email acknowledgement of receipt: 03.09.2020
Address confirmation email: 21.10.2022
Approval email: 13.12.2022

"Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful. A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope."
Congrats! 2 months in between address confirmation and approval emails is a long time!

eireaus
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by eireaus » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:50 pm

Another happy Irish citizen here! 🍀

Online application: 29-Jun-2020
Documents received: 09-Jul-2020
FBR request for further documentation (original death certificate): 12-Oct-2022
Address check email: 11-Nov-2022
Congratulations email: 13-Dec-2022

It's hard to believe the day finally arrived! Thanks to this forum for keeping me hopeful during the long wait 😀

bramarcan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bramarcan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:57 pm

bramarcan wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:07 am
I am really loving this forum and I have appreciated seeing other people’s journeys and timelines with their applications so I thought I’d also share my dates on here (I’ve added them to the Google doc too).

Application submitted online: 03/09/2021
Documents received at Balbriggan (no email confirmation, just postal tracking): 03/10/2021
Confirmation of address: TBC
Congrats email: TBC
FBR certificate received: TBC

Fingers crossed it will be a smooth, albeit long, process!
OMG OMG OMG!!! I've received my address confirmation! I can't believe how quickly they're processing applications now. I really didn't expect to hear anything until well into next year.

Documents received at Balbriggan (no email confirmation, just postal tracking): 03/10/2021
Confirmation of address: 14/12/2022

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:47 pm

bramarcan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:57 pm
bramarcan wrote:
I am really loving this forum and I have appreciated seeing other people’s journeys and timelines with their applications so I thought I’d also share my dates on here (I’ve added them to the Google doc too).

OMG OMG OMG!!! I've received my address confirmation! I can't believe how quickly they're processing applications now. I really didn't expect to hear anything until well into next year.

No chuffing way?!?? I'm a July 2021 applicant with docs received in Dec 2021... I'm daring to hope it won't be that long now.

Congratulations!!!! They are flying through them now.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:07 pm

October 2021??? Thats just 3 months away from January 2022. NOT LONG NOW.

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:45 pm

bramarcan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:57 pm
bramarcan wrote:

While I'm extremely happy for you, it confuses me more each day as to their planning format!?!?!!? My application was March 2021 and my documents were received August '21, and there are still people from 2020 waiting on theirs. It makes no sense at all....however, congratulations. :D :D :D

bramarcan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by bramarcan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:07 pm

I have no idea honestly. I've been checking the forum and spreadsheet almost daily, and seeing that there were a fair few applications received ahead of mine on the spreadsheet made me think it was going to be a little while before I received any word.

I received the address check that states it's not an indication of a successful application, so I'm going to go ahead and assume it'll be a few weeks at least before I hear anything more...

I hope you get an email soon! And thank you for the congratulations!

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:33 pm

DFA recently added this note to their website.
https://www.dfa.ie/passports/updates/
It says passports, but I'd guess it applies to FBRs too.

Update on Passport Services
*** DISRUPTION TO POST IN THE UNITED KINGDOM AND NORTHERN IRELAND ***

Due to the current Royal Mail industrial action, we have temporarily suspended posting passports and documentation to Great Britain and Northern Ireland with effect from December 12th. We will keep this under review. In the meantime, all passports and documentation will be stored securely with the Passport Service in Dublin. If you have applied for a passport or are awaiting the return of documentation and you need these urgently, please contact the Passport Service on +353 1 671 1633.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:15 pm

Seems a very wise decision IMHO. I've got an FBR applied for and ready to post (from UK). I don't think I will until Feburary!!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:23 pm

corky100 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:15 pm
Seems a very wise decision IMHO. I've got an FBR applied for and ready to post (from UK). I don't think I will until Feburary!!
There are alternatives to Royal Mail. The Irish government probably has a contract/deal with them thats why they use them exclusively. Personally I would just use another service to send correspondence to the DFA.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:19 pm

I'm not in a rush......But UPS et al do not post to PO BOX's

tom606
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by tom606 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:30 am

Received address check yesterday! Hopefully all goes smoothly from here

Docs were originally received in Oct-21.
Spreadsheet updated. Looking forward to not checking this forum everyday for 14 months ever again haha

Thanks all and good luck

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:21 am

tom606 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:30 am
Received address check yesterday! Hopefully all goes smoothly from here

Docs were originally received in Oct-21.
Spreadsheet updated. Looking forward to not checking this forum everyday for 14 months ever again haha

Thanks all and good luck
Congratulations! I am sure you will miss us!

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:06 am

Apologies as I know there is another thread for passports but this may apply to FBR as well. There was a recent question about contacting witnesses in different time zones. This worried me too as I live in Melbourne which is currently eleven hours ahead of Dublin so no office hours overlap whatsoever. Yesterday my witness was contacted by the Irish Embassy in Canberra. I needn’t have worried - given much of their work is international of course they have a workaround for awkward time zones. Incidentally, when my witness told the embassy worker how excited I was to become Irish, she replied, “Well we’d better hurry up and get this passport sorted then,” and within a few hours my status changed from ‘being processed’ to ‘being printed’. I do like a bit of Christmas good will 😁

SLwlss
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SLwlss » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:03 am

Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:57 pm
BrexitEscapee wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:07 pm
Re. the Google docs spreadsheet: this was nothing to do with @Sulla. It was created by @SLwlss who hasn't been logged in since June.
Thanks for the correction.
I can't send SLwlss a PM either. Perhaps they have them turned off?

The good(?) news is that I made a copy of it on 26 October. It's a few months out of date, but it's better than nothing. If the original from @SLwlss becomes available again in the future, we can merge them.

Here it is: Almighty Spreadsheet Resurrected
Hello, sorry for issue with the spreadsheet, I didn't realise that it was hosted on a gmail account that was deleted. I've managed to recover it here and will merge them shortly ( Thanks for your help and happy for you to also be an editor/coowner? It is now hosted on my personal gmail account that will never disappear

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:52 pm

Just 2 days ago I was questioning the FBR system as to who gets picked and when!?!?

Here I am today to say that both my husband and I received our address confirmation emails this morning!! Hubby has to get his mother's ID redone, but that's just a formality now!!! :D :lol:

WooHOOO!!!!

Applications March and May 2021
Paperwork received 3rd August 2021
Address confirmation 16th December 2022!!!