ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Child Passport query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mushyhuz

First Child Passport query

Post by mushyhuz » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:26 am

Hi all,

I'm an non-eu immigrant who attained his ILR in June 2022 and my child was born in Nov 2022. I tried applying for his british passport online as I assumed that children born to parents with ILR are automatically british.While filling out the application only a question on ILR through EU settlement scheme was asked and there was no question in regards to ILR for non-eu settlement schemes, which made me doubt my original assumption regarding automatic citizenship. What confuses me even more is at the end the following documents were requested

"Applicant’s documents
Send the following:

full birth or adoption certificate

For 1 of your parents, send 1 of the following:

naturalisation or registration certificate
the non-British passport they had when you were born showing indefinite leave to remain

Grandparents’ documents
Send all of the following for both maternal grandparents:

grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)
And all of the following for both paternal grandparents:

grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)"

I am not claiming citizenship for my child through my parents i.e grandparents, nor do I have original copies of their details. My non-eu passport certainly doesnt have any stamp or details to show I've got Indefinite leave to remain, all I have is a BRP. Can someone guide me as to what all documents I definitely need to send?

thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: First Child Passport query

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:23 am

The passport application form caters for all scenarios.
For your circumstance (UK ILR) you need to submit
- child's birth certificate
- your BRP card
- your passport (not sure?)
Other may comment if anything else is needed.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mushyhuz

Post by mushyhuz » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:08 pm

Thanks alterhase58

I've gotten a printed form from the Post office and weirdly it doesnt mention anything about Non EU ILR holders, was this always the case? or has something recently changed?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:31 pm

mushyhuz wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:08 pm
Thanks alterhase58

I've gotten a printed form from the Post office and weirdly it doesnt mention anything about Non EU ILR holders, was this always the case? or has something recently changed?
Well, EU ILR came in not so long ago, so it was something new a few years back and HMPO got lots of applications on that basis. Assume they updated for this but UK ILR has been around for a long time and they clearly didn't think of updating for this at the same time .... just me guessing. Nothing to worry about, lots of children apply on the basis of UK ILR.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mushyhuz

Post by mushyhuz » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:17 pm

Thank you so much for the reassurance