ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization for minor not currently living in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Miranda0412
Mood:
Ireland

Naturalization for minor not currently living in Ireland

Post by Miranda0412 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:55 am

Hi,
I would like to ask if it is possible to apply for my teen's naturalization while she is studying outside of Ireland for 2 years. She has lived in Ireland for 7 years and since last year she is studying in another country an IB program.
I am checking the form 9, the only condition I see there is "Your child
should generally have 3 or more years residence in the State prior to the date of application."

I would apreciate any info with respect to this matter.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Naturalization for minor not currently living in Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:58 pm

That's unclear. In Scorecard everyone, even minors, has the following in the column:
"Proofs must be provided that provides evidential support that the applicant has achieved the final year continuous requirement."
But if we're going with Scorecard, minor has to provide P60/social welfare/bank statement, which is often impossible, so can't fully rely on it.

Best bet would be to clarify it with Citizenship Division - send them an email!
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

RCCar
Belarus

Post by RCCar » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:36 am

The minor should live in Ireland all the time when applying naturalization (with max absence 6 weeks annually): 1 mandatory year prior application, DURING application process and waiting time and intend to live after naturalization.

RCCar
Belarus

Post by RCCar » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:59 pm

Scorecard NOT applies to minors!

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to- ... inor-Child

If you read this - scorecard applies ONLY to adult applications

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:25 pm

RCCar wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:59 pm

Baffles me why'd they put a section on the scorecard dedicated to minors. But I see your point and you're most likely right.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:49 pm

RCCar wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:59 pm

I would not agree here, scorecard applies to minors as well, even if that is not said in your link, in table minors explicitly mentioned

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:38 am

Scorecards do not apply to minors, as they cannot obtain most of the required documents mentioned in the scorecard. Which table did it say minors need to have 150 points per year by submitting things like EDS or P60?

GTO
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by GTO » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:39 pm

I suppose OP's question is still unanswered in relation to applying minor's naturalization while living abroad.
I see the rule of continuous stay before applying for naturalization as relevant for minors however after the application is unknown. Does that mean a minor can live outside Ireland while the application is in progress?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:52 pm

GTO wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:39 pm
Does that mean a minor can live outside Ireland while the application is in progress?
There's no formal requirement for a minor (or adult) to live in Ireland, as far as I know. But ISD states:
If you are outside the State for longer than 6 weeks after you submit your application, you must notify ISD by letter or email to explain why.
In adult applications there's Section 6, which asks you where you intend to live and, theoretically, if you don't put Ireland there/put Ireland there and reside somewhere else, theoretically you may be considered as someone who provided incorrect information and be refused.

For minors there's no such field, so I don't have anything in mind to make it a problem to reside abroad. But since ISD has to be aware, I'd better not take the chances.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:58 pm

In terms of scorecard:
Having a look at forms, neither form 9 nor form 11 have reference to scorecard the way it's put on form 8; both of those were updated after Jan 22. I'd concur with littlerr's statement on that one.
Scorecard does mention minors, but as it only has school letters with 100 points as the only way to get points, how are minors supposed to get 150 is a big question.