ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK BRP validity when inviting family on tourist visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

UK BRP validity when inviting family on tourist visa

Post by jrs1984 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:50 pm

Hi,

I wish to invite my brother's family in the UK for a short visit of 3-4 weeks starting first week of Feb'23. I want to send them an invitation letter this week, however my current VISA in UK (Tier 2 dependent) is valid only until 22 Jan'23.

I shall be applying for my ILR in first week of Jan but that is still in future and waiting until then may delay their trip in Feb even if I apply a super priority route.

Is there a way around this please? My understanding is that the officer may consider their invitation as invalid due to my current leave ending in Jan.

Thanks.

Chapelle57
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: UK BRP validity when inviting family on tourist visa

Post by Chapelle57 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:40 am

Hello jrs1984,
I am not sure your invalid BRP will affect the decision. My mum was granted her visit and currently in the UK for 3 weeks now even though my BRP expired months before I invited her to join me in the UK. But I would like to state that my application for an extension for leave to remain was already submitted months before applying for my mum's visit application and I am still waiting for a decision.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:02 am

jrs1984 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:50 pm
Hi,

I wish to invite my brother's family in the UK for a short visit of 3-4 weeks starting first week of Feb'23. I want to send them an invitation letter this week, however my current VISA in UK (Tier 2 dependent) is valid only until 22 Jan'23.

I shall be applying for my ILR in first week of Jan but that is still in future and waiting until then may delay their trip in Feb even if I apply a super priority route.

Is there a way around this please? My understanding is that the officer may consider their invitation as invalid due to my current leave ending in Jan.

Thanks.
If I recall correctly it ask on the application what right the person being visited in UK has or something along the line,
Ensure at the time of their application you still have legal rights to be in UK and this subsist when you have an application in progress.

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Thank you, everyone.
Yes the list of documents ask for proof of my rights to stay in UK - so at this point in time I can share my BRP but i dont think i would have an option to update their application once I apply my ILR in first week of Jan. My brother's application may already be in progress, and until I actually apply I cannot write a letter beforehand saying I will apply for ILR.

Is it necessary for an invitation letter to be shared?

Can they not come as a tourist by themselves without mentioning me (showing hotel accommodation etc.) and then stay at my place once they actually arrive. They are Green card holders in US. They came to UK for few weeks once around 5 years back on a tourist visa when I sponsored them.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:57 pm

jrs1984 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:47 pm
Thank you, everyone.
Yes the list of documents ask for proof of my rights to stay in UK - so at this point in time I can share my BRP but i dont think i would have an option to update their application once I apply my ILR in first week of Jan. My brother's application may already be in progress, and until I actually apply I cannot write a letter beforehand saying I will apply for ILR.

Can they not come as a tourist by themselves without mentioning me (showing hotel accommodation etc.) and then stay at my place once they actually arrive. They are Green card holders in US. They came to UK for few weeks once around 5 years back on a tourist visa when I sponsored them.
They can visit the UK in their own rights as stated if nothing is required of you.
And on another note....Visit visa holders Don't require sponsorship

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:54 pm

jrs1984 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:47 pm
Thank you, everyone.

As clearly stated by AmazonianX, you're not exactly sponsoring them, you're inviting them. Yes, they can come in their own rights obviously. You're not mandated to present any documents.
The system by default would ask for family in the UK.
They can book a hotel and show their hotel reservation. That would suffice as place of residence whilst in the UK.
If they mention that they would be at yours, then the HO needs to know what your current stance is in the UK. This in my opinion is very normal.
FYI, you can send in your current BRP as it currently stands, you can't apply for what you're not due for, and the HO knows this.
Most importantly, your family is coming in from the US and have been here before. Not sure why you're worried. This works in their favour.

Are they currently employed in the US?
Have they got substantial funds in their account to cover the trip?

If both answers are "yes", you can go in advance and meet up with them at Heathrow. :D
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:09 pm

Thank you. Yes, the answer to both is yes, much relieved. We will apply through their normal tourist route then,

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:45 am

My family got their visa back in 3 days, thank you all for helping.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:17 am

jrs1984 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:45 am
My family got their visa back in 3 days, thank you all for helping.
Congratulations