ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Valo
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Valo » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:38 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:40 pm
Valo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:52 pm
JackESC wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:32 pm
Probably an impossible question to answer but... I am a Sept 22 applicant - what are the predications that I will hear back sometime next year?
I've seen November and December 2021 applications get their confirmation of address email on here so I'd wager there is a decent chance you'll hear back in 2022. Not entirely sure though. Depends on application numbers but I doubt there will be a Brexit style backlog like we saw in 2019 and early 2020. I'm a January 2022 applicant and I'm currently keeping a close eye on my emails.
Yeah, if the spreadsheet is indicative of the backlog and they continue at the pace they have been, they should continue to shrink the wait time.

I'd bet they have a goal to get the average under 12 months.
According to the spreadsheet the current average has went down steadily and is currently sat at 12 months as of December 2022.

PatientWaiter
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by PatientWaiter » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:17 pm

I emailed the urgent enquiries email a month ago as I've become an expectant parent (due date in 7 months). I got an email reply the next day asking about the due date, then received no reply or request for proof for a month, so rang up again today.

The person who answered the phone said that applications are expedited based on the expected due date. From the tone of the conversation it sounded like if there's still quite a bit of time on the due date, the application doesn't get immediately expedited. (Alternatively my application might just be taking longer to process due to a complex case where one birth certificate comes from a country that no longer exists).

Pretty academic as it looks like my January 2022 application should be processed by the due date regardless of being expedited. But hopefully other expectant parents find this info useful.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:35 pm

PatientWaiter wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:17 pm
I emailed the urgent enquiries email a month ago as I've become an expectant parent (due date in 7 months). I got an email reply the next day asking about the due date, then received no reply or request for proof for a month, so rang up again today.

The person who answered the phone said that applications are expedited based on the expected due date. From the tone of the conversation it sounded like if there's still quite a bit of time on the due date, the application doesn't get immediately expedited. (Alternatively my application might just be taking longer to process due to a complex case where one birth certificate comes from a country that no longer exists).

Pretty academic as it looks like my January 2022 application should be processed by the due date regardless of being expedited. But hopefully other expectant parents find this info useful.
A fellow Jan 2022 applicant. Shouldn't be too long now.

HPFA
Newly Registered
England

Post by HPFA » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:03 pm

Daughter's certificate arrived today - she now has a right to Irish citizenship.

Also got all the documents back so I can apply for an Irish passport myself when UK one expires.

A long journey but she has her Freedom of Movement back!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Valo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:38 pm
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:40 pm
Valo wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:52 pm
JackESC wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:32 pm
Probably an impossible question to answer but... I am a Sept 22 applicant - what are the predications that I will hear back sometime next year?
I've seen November and December 2021 applications get their confirmation of address email on here so I'd wager there is a decent chance you'll hear back in 2022. Not entirely sure though. Depends on application numbers but I doubt there will be a Brexit style backlog like we saw in 2019 and early 2020. I'm a January 2022 applicant and I'm currently keeping a close eye on my emails.
Yeah, if the spreadsheet is indicative of the backlog and they continue at the pace they have been, they should continue to shrink the wait time.

I'd bet they have a goal to get the average under 12 months.
According to the spreadsheet the current average has went down steadily and is currently sat at 12 months as of December 2022.
Down to a year from 2 1/2 years in the first half of 2022 is downright incredible. I'm wondering how much of this is attributable to the lack of applications sent in over the period that FBR was technically closed for Covid, and how much is attributable to additional staff and a slowdown of Brexit related applications from UK?

Will be interested to see if they can keep the numbers at a year, which was the listed timeframe when I myself applied in Feb of 2020. Hoping for all you waiting that it stays at a year or so!

sstewart50
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sstewart50 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:58 pm

I've received my Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and I'm looking to apply online. I live in the USA...any ideas on who offers passport photo services that include digital photos?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:14 pm

sstewart50 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:58 pm
I've received my Foreign Birth Registration Certificate and I'm looking to apply online. I live in the USA...any ideas on who offers passport photo services that include digital photos?
I did mine at a Fedex office. I had to pay a little extra because they put the digital versions on a thumb drive for me. Super easy tho.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:18 pm

sstewart50 wrote:
I took my own photo. Phone on a tripod with a timer.
I used a free passport photo app, but I don't think it was necessary.
Follow the guidelines for size, aspect ratio, neutral background, etc
I found it to be not difficult.

The PassportOnline website does an automated check to make sure the photo you upload is good before you can complete it.

sstewart50
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sstewart50 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:58 pm

Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:18 pm
sstewart50 wrote:

The PassportOnline website does an automated check to make sure the photo you upload is good before you can complete it.
Thanks...I've tried this at home but the photos weren't being accepted. I think they were too dark and when I used extra lights the PassportOnline website didn't like the shadows. This is why I'm looking for a professional shop to get it done...unless there are other suggestions for doing at home.

sstewart50
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sstewart50 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:00 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:14 pm
sstewart50 wrote:
I did mine at a Fedex office. I had to pay a little extra because they put the digital versions on a thumb drive for me. Super easy tho.
Thanks...I'll contact a Fedex store or maybe look to see if the UPS Stores do this same service. I live in a small town in a remote area so likely these stores will be over an hours drive away.

sstewart50
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sstewart50 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:33 pm

sstewart50 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:58 pm
Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:18 pm
sstewart50 wrote:

Thanks...I've tried this at home but the photos weren't being accepted. I think they were too dark and when I used extra lights the PassportOnline website didn't like the shadows. This is why I'm looking for a professional shop to get it done...unless there are other suggestions for doing at home.
I tried once more on the Home Photo....and was successful. Keys to this were:

1. Find a good photo app online that has the Irish and measures against the Irish requirements
(This frees you up to not be required to be in front of a white or beige background in the house)
2. Follow the Photo App instructions and focus on...
a. Standing in front of a window in your house (Face the window for more balanced lighting)
b. Stare Straight into the camera (I had my phone on a tripod and could see that I was looking at it)
c. Neutral expression - no smiles - Head straight not tilted
d. Make sure to have it framed right - particularly a little head room and from the chest up.

The app was a godsend because the background doesn't matter...ie...the apps are able to substitute a white background behind you so you can stand anywhere to get the best light. Also...if your picture fails a requirement, the app tells you where you failed and how to correct it with another picture that it will allow you to upload. (Uploaded 5 different ones before I got one that met the Irish Photo Standard) The service I used was Photoaid but there were others. It cost about 6EUR just for emailing to you a qualified photo to use on the online application. The app approved photo was immediately accepted by the online passport application. Googling Ireland Approved Passport Photos brough up a couple of apps to choose from.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:07 pm

sstewart50 wrote:
Yes, good lighting is critical.
I had access to a well-lit space with lots of diffuse natural lighting.
Extra lights will help. Placing them so they fill the shadows is critical.

CVS does passport photos. I don't know if they'll give you the digital file, but probably.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:02 pm

Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:07 pm
sstewart50 wrote:
Yes, good lighting is critical.
I had access to a well-lit space with lots of diffuse natural lighting.
Extra lights will help. Placing them so they fill the shadows is critical.

CVS does passport photos. I don't know if they'll give you the digital file, but probably.
Yea, my wife and I tried the home photos for about an hour but they kept getting rejected. Fedex Office is a place that does passport photos and will give you a digital copy on a USB drive. think the whole thing cost about $20. Very easy, and unlike the physical photos you don't have to worry about the Ireland specific sizing or anything. Makes it much easier.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:17 am

We used a free app: id photo maker, which was easy peasy.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:20 am

It’s the one with the picture of photos in the icon.

JT97
United Kingdom

Post by JT97 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:48 pm

A rather delayed update!!

I’m finally Irish!!!

Online application - 2 September 2020
Doc received confirmation email - 16 September 2020
Address confirmation - 4 November 2022
Congratulations email - 15 December 2022
Documents received - Pending

So just one day shy of 2 years 3 months (27 months) from documents received to congrats email.

I had rather unconventionally already found out my application had been approved by at least 29th November through directly talking to the person handling my application. However, he could not tell me how long it would be until my certificate would be printed. Turns out it took at least 16 days. I’m intrigued to see when my approval date was according to my fbr certificate.

I know the passport office was saying they weren’t sending out any documents to the UK due to Royal Mail strikes. However, I’m not sure whether this pertains to fbr as well. So, my certificate was either posted and is now stuck in postal strike limbo or it’s still in Ireland and will be there indefinitely. But for now I’m just happy I’m finally Irish!!! This has been something I’ve had in my mind for well over a decade now so what’s a few more weeks of waiting…

I should note this was a joint sibling application so we both received our address check and congratulations emails at the same time.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:22 pm

JT97 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:48 pm

I’m finally Irish!!!

So just one day shy of 2 years 3 months (27 months) from documents received to congrats email.

I had rather unconventionally already found out my application had been approved by at least 29th November through directly talking to the person handling my application. However, he could not tell me how long it would be until my certificate would be printed. Turns out it took at least 16 days. I’m intrigued to see when my approval date was according to my fbr certificate.

I know the passport office was saying they weren’t sending out any documents to the UK due to Royal Mail strikes. However, I’m not sure whether this pertains to fbr as well. So, my certificate was either posted and is now stuck in postal strike limbo or it’s still in Ireland and will be there indefinitely. But for now I’m just happy I’m finally Irish!!! This has been something I’ve had in my mind for well over a decade now so what’s a few more weeks of waiting…

I should note this was a joint sibling application so we both received our address check and congratulations emails at the same time.
I love how you got your address confirmation for a Sept 2020 application in November and then by December they were on December 2021 applications. So an entire year worked through in just over a month. Blimey.

Congratulations!

climbpear29
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

New Ref

Post by climbpear29 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:29 pm

Hey,

Can't quite navigate the current spreadsheets. Both of the resurrected sheets still seem active, one edittable, one view only. Instructions tab on both saying to add yourself, but only 1 allowing it. While most data is consistent there are differences.

Would it be possible to remove access to whichever sheet is being deprecated to avoid confusion, then provide the general edit access, or update the instructions on how to submit info.

For me application date: 24 Jun 2022
Docs Received: 05 Oct 2022
Doc date was about 10 days after I sent them, delay was in preparation my side.

walter3ca
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by walter3ca » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:35 pm

JoannaKJ wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:17 am
We used a free app: id photo maker, which was easy peasy.
I used this guy: https://orders.passportphotonow.com/testimonial. But the photos that I submitted to him at first were not approved by him. Finally, one was. But the Irish Passport web page rejected his photo. He tweeked it several times, all with the same result. Finally, I didn't follow his rules. I took my own, with a white door behind me and lots of light, and it passed.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Re: New Ref

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:22 pm

climbpear29 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:29 pm
Hey,

Can't quite navigate the current spreadsheets. Both of the resurrected sheets still seem active, one edittable, one view only. Instructions tab on both saying to add yourself, but only 1 allowing it. While most data is consistent there are differences.

Would it be possible to remove access to whichever sheet is being deprecated to avoid confusion, then provide the general edit access, or update the instructions on how to submit info.
SLwlss made the original spreadsheet. One day it disappeared. Deleted.
Fortunately, I had made a copy a couple of months prior, so I made that public. It's "FBR Timelines - Resurrected!" and it's linked in my signature.
Then I went back through the forum posts and recreated the missing data.
But then SLwlss came back. Restored the original document. It had been deleted accidentally.
We're going to merge them back to the original from SLwlss at some time, but haven't done it yet. I don't know a good way to do it, so I hope SLwlss can take the lead there.

For now, keep using the one linked in my signature.

I added your data to the sheet already.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 am

Happy new year

Here's to getting my citizenship this month or next.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:34 am

Valo wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:22 pm
JT97 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:48 pm

I’m finally Irish!!!

I love how you got your address confirmation for a Sept 2020 application in November and then by December they were on December 2021 applications. So an entire year worked through in just over a month. Blimey.

Congratulations!
Crazy right? but remember that the FBR was closed nearly all of 2021, so there must've been very few applications. They cruised right through them it seems. One would also hope that the Brexit era application deluge is over and future applications will get closer to the 12 month wait as it was prior to all this madness.

spencer0523
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by spencer0523 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:12 pm

Passport question.

Do I really need to send in my canadian (national) passport in order to get the irish one? It stipulates "if in possession" but that means it may not be totally mandatory. Any advice?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:42 pm

spencer0523 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:12 pm
Passport question.

Do I really need to send in my canadian (national) passport in order to get the irish one? It stipulates "if in possession" but that means it may not be totally mandatory. Any advice?
folks here sent certified copies, eg post2095240.html#p2095240
and probs better ask these in passport discussion thread
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:47 pm

HNY folks!

I'm just hovering about the forum waiting for the trickle of Congrats emails to come in for the last few folks who had their address checks pre-Xmas.

As you can tell, I'm pretty patient and chilled about it all :lol: