ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU/US marriage

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bunny80

EU/US marriage

Post by bunny80 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:29 am

what rights would a US spouse have the second after the 2 are married in a EU country ( denmark, since marriage there seems to be the easiest way)? so if the US spouse is here on a tourist visa , can they remain inside schengen once they are married? do they need any permits or to go back to the US for some reason? would it be a problem is the marriage takes place with only a few days left out of the tourist visa?cheers!!

PS: i understand all americans get 90 days in schengen, is this correct? she has the entry date and the number 28 on her passport..

cantaro

Re: EU/US marriage

Post by cantaro » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:00 am

bunny80 wrote:what rights would a US spouse have the second after the 2 are married in a EU country ( denmark, since marriage there seems to be the easiest way)? so if the US spouse is here on a tourist visa , can they remain inside schengen once they are married? do they need any permits or to go back to the US for some reason? would it be a problem is the marriage takes place with only a few days left out of the tourist visa?cheers!!

PS: i understand all americans get 90 days in schengen, is this correct? she has the entry date and the number 28 on her passport..
US citizens will typically be issued with a 90-day visit visa valid for all Schengen countries at the port of entry. You can then get married in Denmark. If I understand the process correctly, a stay of 5 days in the country is required to get married there, but I am sure that others may have better information on that. From that point on, the US citizen would be legally resident in Denmark as the dependent of the EU spouse, and can avail of the provisions of Directive 2004/38/EU to move to and reside freely in the country where the EU spouse lives. If that country is, however, the same country the EU spouse is a citizen of, it may take some persuasion skills, as officials are typically not aware of the regulations and European Court decisions this claim would be based upon, and would rather apply national legislation which in most cases is less favourable than the Directive.

If you can provide some info as to what country the future spouse is a citizen of, and in which one he/she resides, it may be easier to give advice on this.

bunny80

Post by bunny80 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:17 am

thanks, cantaro!

i am romanian and my fiancee is american but we 'd like to settle in the UK (at least for the next few years). i am self-employed and work online so i don't have to live in any specific country. neither of us wants to settle in romania. i've been told by a UK lawyer that she could get into the UK right after we get married if we just show them the marriage certificate (but she would need a family permit if she were to travel alone).

i still need to find out what legalizing the marriage means.. i thought once we get the certificate from the danish town hall it's legal but it seems we have to go to some other danish authority and register. we asked the odense town hall on the phone but they didn't know so i am wondering how long it would take , if we need an apostille etc. we want to get married on the 7th and her visa expires on the 10th.

you are right, some danish provinces require a minimum stay but others don't, you can just register through the mail and arrive there on the very day you plan to get married.

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:20 pm

I do not know about all this. I can tell you this, however:

I am a UK citizen.

I live and work in Italy.

My fiancé was Russian.

She came to Italy on a tourist visa (though Americans need no visa nor are they issued with any, if they stay for less than 90 days for tourism.

We married in Italy.

The day after we applied for a residence card.

We received it 2 hours later.

She can go with me everywhere (except the UK and Ireland).

Americans need no EEA FP to go to the UK. They can go without a visa when not married to an EEA citizen, why would they need one when married?

Legalising means that a public official certifies that the person who signs a document is entitled to do so. The official has access to a large database of signatures (from consuls and so on). and can compare the ones in the database against the one on the document.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!