ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 for Child Born outside UK - Current Immigration status UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Children British Citizenship

Post by vicky8319 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:33 pm

Hi

Child current age - 9
Children born outside UK and both the parents did not have ILR or citizenship during child's birth
One parent is a British citizen by naturalisation now.
One parent is on ILR.
All residential requirements are met (Have been in the UK continuously for 5 years and have not been outside of the UK more than 90 days continuously in any year)

Need to apply for british citizenship and get the british passport ready for my son.
Can you please help with the best route for my child to gain a citizenship / passport please ?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Children British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:40 pm

Child current age - 9
Children born outside UK and both the parents did not have ILR or citizenship during child's birth
One parent is a British citizen by naturalisation now.
One parent is on ILR.
Does the child have ILR? A child born abroad is required to have ILR before they can apply for citizenship.
All residential requirements are met (Have been in the UK continuously for 5 years and have not been outside of the UK more than 90 days continuously in any year)
There is no such requirement for children.
Need to apply for british citizenship and get the british passport ready for my son.
Does the child hold ILR?
Can you please help with the best route for my child to gain a citizenship / passport please ?
There is only ONE route, an application on form MN1 under section 3(1), which at discretion. The child needs ILR first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:07 pm

Sorry. Missed the main point.

Child is on ILR and has been on ILR since late 2018 due to expire in 2023.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:08 pm

Yes, you can apply for citizenship for the child on form MN1.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:21 pm

Thank you....

I can't exactly remember which form I used. But I got naturalisation prior applying for British passport.

Is naturalisation for child possible leading to british citizenship / passport ? If yes, then What is the differnce between -

Citizenship via Naturailsation for a child (as the child is on ILR for quiet some time now)
vs
Citizenship via MN1 for a child ?

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:24 pm

Is naturalisation for child possible leading to british citizenship / passport ? If yes, then What is the differnce between -

Citizenship via Naturailsation for a child (as the child is on ILR for quiet some time now)
vs
Citizenship via MN1 for a child ?
Children under 18 are REGISTERED as British on form MN1 and this applies to children born abroad and children born in the UK prior to parents obtaining ILR. The length of time a child born abroad holds ILR is completely irrelevant. The child needs to be registered as British before they can apply for a British passport.

Only adults 18+ are naturalised.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:27 pm

Thanks again. Really helpful. Will start off the process asap. Will let you know how this goes.

Regards

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:46 am

Clarifications -

In 1.1 under Section 1, I believe I write in full as - Section 3(1)
(Child born outside UK and is on ILR. Both parents did not have ILR at the time of child's birth. Child has been on ILR since 2018. One parent holds British passport now and another parent on ILR)

1.2 State any reference numbers used in your immigration applications:
What reference number should I give here ?

Section 4 - Good Character Requirement
Applicant is 9 years old. So I believe this section 4 is not applicable and can be skipped.

For 3.1, what should I select for the below one? There are only 2 options to select. We both parents are not a british citizen by descent. Not sure what to select here.
Section 3 - Parents’ residence in the UK or the British overseas territories, where applicable
3.1 State which parent is the one who is a British citizen by descent and on whom this application is based

Mother
Father

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:51 am

Clarifications -

In 1.1 under Section 1, I believe I write in full as - Section 3(1)
(Child born outside UK and is on ILR. Both parents did not have ILR at the time of child's birth. Child has been on ILR since 2018. One parent holds British passport now and another parent on ILR)
This is completed irrelevant to the application. Note that we do NOT have access to the form so unclear what the questions are you are referring to.
What reference number should I give here ?
ILR BRP card. It does also state applications, plural. It is also an 'if known' about reference numbers.
Applicant is 9 years old. So I believe this section 4 is not applicable and can be skipped.
Are you sure you are completing the correct form, MN1? If yes, children over a certain age, 10 or 11 I think, are subject to the good character requirements.
For 3.1, what should I select for the below one? There are only 2 options to select. We both parents are not a british citizen by descent. Not sure what to select here.
Section 3 - Parents’ residence in the UK or the British overseas territories, where applicable
3.1 State which parent is the one who is a British citizen by descent and on whom this application is based

Mother
Father
What is the actual question and the question before this one? The option for a child born abroad is 'Other - at discretion', the only option you can use to apply for the child. You being British is completely irrelevant for this application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:33 pm

Yes, it's form MN1 from here - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 2-2020.pdf
Version 02-2020

Below are the extracts from the application form itself -

Section 1 - Personal Information
1.1 Indicate the section of the British Nationality Act 1981 under which you would like the application considered. See MN1guide (www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-mn1-guidance) for
further details:

This section applies to the child applicant if they are aged 10 and over. You need to give
information which will help the Home Secretary to decide whether they can be satisfied that
you are of good character. Checks will be made with the police and possibly other Government
Departments, the Security Service and other agencies.

Note that this a Section 3 in the Application form. This is just the beginning of the section 3 in the MN1 form and that (3.1) was the first question
(See ‘Residence requirements’ section of the Nationality forms guide www.gov.uk/government/publications/nati ... orms-guide)
3.1 State which parent is the one who is a British citizen by descent and on whom this application is based:
Father
Mother

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:47 pm

You need to apply online. You should not be using the paper form, which is for applications for those who live OUTSIDE the UK.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1673181182
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vicky8319
United Kingdom

MN1 for Child Born outside UK - Current Immigration status UK

Post by vicky8319 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:03 pm

I am applying for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen using Form MN1 (online).

There is one section which asks for Grandparent details and it goes as below. I am not sure If I should even fill this or should I select the option "I do not know these details".

Can someone please advise ?

---------------------

Provide details of your grandparent from whom your mother or father derived British citizenship by descent.
Grandparent's full name
Title

Given names

Family name

Date of birth (Required)

Enter date in the format DD MM YYYY

Village/Town/City of birth

Country of birth

Country of nationality

Relationship to you (Required)
Paternal grandfather
Paternal grandmother
Maternal grandfather
Maternal grandmother

Did they become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies or British citizen by registration or naturalisation?

---------------------

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: MN1 for Child Born outside UK - Current Immigration status UK

Post by CR001 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:37 pm

What option did you select earlier in the form for the basis on which the child is applying for citizenship? The last option in the list is "OTHER", this is what you should have chosen and not an option of one parent being British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Thu May 18, 2023 1:01 pm

These are the things I have selected on the form. Hope this helps

Choose which category to apply under.
You are a child under 18
and
You were born outside the UK
Other - apply at the discretion of the Home Secretary

And there was another question next to this one -
Register child as British citizen

Are either of the parents of the child (as stated in this application) applying for naturalisation as a British citizen on an AN form?

I selected No (We are only applying for my child's registration for British passport now). I am a British passport holder now and my other half is on ILR.

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:22 am

We don't have to send any original documents with the application right ?

We just have to scan the documents and upload on the "UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services" website right ?
Should I send any original documents physical to them (including applicant's passport) right ?

Please let me know.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:16 am

vicky8319 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:22 am
We don't have to send any original documents with the application right ? Correct

We just have to scan the documents and upload on the "UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services" website right ? Correct
Should I send any original documents physical to them (including applicant's passport) right ?
No you upload scans.
Please let me know.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vicky8319
United Kingdom

Post by vicky8319 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:56 pm

Thank you @alterhase58