ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residency for Naturalization in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mmssaa
India

Residency for Naturalization in Ireland

Post by mmssaa » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:04 pm

Hello there,

I am writing to inquire about the maximum period of absence from Ireland that can be considered for residency purposes when applying for naturalization. According to my understanding, an individual can be absent for a maximum of 6 weeks per year and still be considered a resident.

I arrived in Ireland in August 2020 and began working immediately. Therefore, I believe my first year of residency started in August 2020. In May 2021, I was away for a period of 3 weeks, which I believe can be counted towards the 6 weeks maximum absence for the first year. Am I correct in this assumption?

Additionally, I was made redundant in August 2021 and was without a job for 3 months. I would like to know if this period of unemployment counts towards my residency for naturalization or if it should be excluded.

During this period of unemployment, I travelled outside of Ireland for 3 weeks in October 2021. I returned in November 2021 and found employment again. My question is, does my second year of residency start again in November 2021 or is it still considered August 2021?

Lastly, between May 2021 and February 2022, I was away for a total of 9 weeks. Will this affect my eligibility for naturalization in any way?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Residency for Naturalization in Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:30 pm

mmssaa wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:04 pm
Hello there,

I am writing to inquire about the maximum period of absence from Ireland that can be considered for residency purposes when applying for naturalization. According to my understanding, an individual can be absent for a maximum of 6 weeks per year and still be considered a resident.

I arrived in Ireland in August 2020 and began working immediately. Therefore, I believe my first year of residency started in August 2020. In May 2021, I was away for a period of 3 weeks, which I believe can be counted towards the 6 weeks maximum absence for the first year. Am I correct in this assumption?

Additionally, I was made redundant in August 2021 and was without a job for 3 months. I would like to know if this period of unemployment counts towards my residency for naturalization or if it should be excluded.

During this period of unemployment, I travelled outside of Ireland for 3 weeks in October 2021. I returned in November 2021 and found employment again. My question is, does my second year of residency start again in November 2021 or is it still considered August 2021?

Lastly, between May 2021 and February 2022, I was away for a total of 9 weeks. Will this affect my eligibility for naturalization in any way?

There is no exact answer how they count the period of residancy. Year like 1st Jan to 31st Dec OR year between you came and + 365 days, most of the people as I understand use second approach, since you need to have exactly 1825(6) days for last 9 years to be able to apply, and full year with no absence (excluding 6 weeks) prior to date of application.
If you will count by second approach, use that period, however it will be good if you can provide free format table/descriptions if your absence is over then 42 days at any kind of calculation style, this is just unofficial, I did so, but had once, one day over then 42 for whole 5 years, but anyway provided the table with dates and details

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:18 pm

mmssaa wrote:
Hello there,

Like jesonn explained there is no clear answer but some people use 1 year as period between your residence permit. If you registered on August 2020 then you can be absent 6 weeks till August 2021 etc etc.
mmssaa wrote:

As long as you had valid and countable residence permit (no Stamp0 and no Stamp2) it all counts towards your residency, employed or not, doesn't matter.
mmssaa wrote:
If you are away for more than 6 weeks in a year those days won't count towards your residency. So you should have 1826 days + 9 weeks to fill the gap in your residency day requirement.

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:44 pm

mmssaa wrote:

Agree with metlamind, I was redundant in 2019, for short period - one month, then started new job, it was nothing to worry about, since you have legal stamp covered that period.
Fill all over your gaps to have clear 1826 days and explain them if exceeded 42 days within year period