ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing british passport while carrying a foreign passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

R-graphite
Mood:
United Kingdom

Renewing british passport while carrying a foreign passport

Post by R-graphite » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 am

Hi,

If my foreign passport was expired but not cancelled and I decided not to renew it, is it ok to send it as it is to HMPO as part of my British passport renewal? Or would HMPO ask me to renew it first?
Note: my expired foreign passport has the same exact information as my British passport (no name change or any other differences)

Thanks
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Renewing british passport while carrying a foreign passport

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:32 am

No issue HMPO don’t require a valid foreign passport. Even if you didn’t have a foreign passport currently they will issue as you are British after all.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

R-graphite
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by R-graphite » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:03 pm

Thanks Alterhase58they do ask to send any foreign passport that is uncancelled - I did send it before but at the time it was still valid, now it has expired and I just wanna know that it’s ok if I don’t renew my foreign passport - in their guidance they didn’t mention anything about renewing it but they did say to send all uncancelled passports as part of the application (foreign or British)
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 pm

R-graphite wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:03 pm
Thanks Alterhase58they do ask to send any foreign passport that is uncancelled - I did send it before but at the time it was still valid, now it has expired and I just wanna know that it’s ok if I don’t renew my foreign passport - in their guidance they didn’t mention anything about renewing it but they did say to send all uncancelled passports as part of the application (foreign or British)
You new passport would most likely not be processed until you send your other passport. To avoid excessive delays. send expired British passport and Expired other passport.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!