ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bramarcan
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by bramarcan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 pm

Today's the day! I'm officially Irish! What a fantastic feeling! To those feeling anxious about the wait between the address confirmation email and congrats, try not to worry. I think radio silence tends to be a good thing - it seems if there are issues they'll contact you directly.

Final update:
Application submitted online: 03/09/2021
Documents received at Balbriggan (no email confirmation, just postal tracking): 03/10/2021
Confirmation of address email: 14/12/2022
Congrats email: 16/01/2022

Thank you to everyone on this forum - it's been the best, and a real lifeline seeing everyone else's journeys too. Good luck!!!

sloanb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by sloanb » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:51 pm

bramarcan wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 pm
Today's the day! I'm officially Irish! What a fantastic feeling! To those feeling anxious about the wait between the address confirmation email and congrats, try not to worry. I think radio silence tends to be a good thing - it seems if there are issues they'll contact you directly.

Final update:
Application submitted online: 03/09/2021
Documents received at Balbriggan (no email confirmation, just postal tracking): 03/10/2021
Confirmation of address email: 14/12/2022
Congrats email: 16/01/2022

Thank you to everyone on this forum - it's been the best, and a real lifeline seeing everyone else's journeys too. Good luck!!!
Congratulations bramarcan, hopefully I'm not too far behind you, I got my address confirmation an hour ago :D

My update:
Application submitted online: 15/01/2022
Documents received : 27/01/2022
Confirmation of address email: 16/01/2023
Congrats email:

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 pm

Patpatriot wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:30 pm
Did they ask for extra doc's with the confirmation of address email?
They did for me. Then radio silence. Then email confirming the doucuments were acceptable and another address confirmation. Then radio silence. :roll:

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:08 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:47 pm
Patpatriot wrote:
They did for me. Then radio silence. Then email confirming the doucuments were acceptable and another address confirmation. Then radio silence. :roll:
I got my address confirmation a week ago and they never actually told me if they’d process it or not (same situation of estrangement as you) it’s been silent since then so I’m a bit nervous lol.

sloanb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by sloanb » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:28 pm

Valo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:08 am
Mr_Knight wrote:
Patpatriot wrote:
I got my address confirmation a week ago and they never actually told me if they’d process it or not (same situation of estrangement as you) it’s been silent since then so I’m a bit nervous lol.
Can I join the nervous club? Yesterday I got the address confirmation from 'fbrclarification'. Is this the usual address for the address confirmation? No documents requested just the address. I responded straightaway and this morning I got a thank you note to tell me:

"Thank you for confirming your address. Your application has been updated accordingly and is now in the final stages of processing.

Receiving this email is in no indication of a successful outcome of your application, but by confirming your address you are enabling us to process your application more efficiently.

We will be in touch if we need any more information and/or when your Foreign Birth Registration certificate has been printed and is ready to be dispatched to you."

onlyzuul
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by onlyzuul » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:33 pm

I just received my certificate in the mail and my documents. The mail person didn’t have me sign. They rang the doorbell and left it with another package on the steps.

Application date: 10 October 2020
Document received date: 15 October 2020
Address confirmation email: 7 November 2022, but had an issue with my Marriage Certificate that has been fixed.
Congratulations email: 9 December 2022
E-mail that certificate was sent: 9 January 2023
Certificate received: 17 January 2023

Now to get a passport.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:36 pm

sloanb wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:28 pm
Valo wrote:
Mr_Knight wrote:
Patpatriot wrote:
Can I join the nervous club? Yesterday I got the address confirmation from 'fbrclarification'. Is this the usual address for the address confirmation? No documents requested just the address. I responded straightaway and this morning I got a thank you note to tell me:

"Thank you for confirming your address. Your application has been updated accordingly and is now in the final stages of processing.

Receiving this email is in no indication of a successful outcome of your application, but by confirming your address you are enabling us to process your application more efficiently.

We will be in touch if we need any more information and/or when your Foreign Birth Registration certificate has been printed and is ready to be dispatched to you."
That's new. My confirmation of address email was from a woman.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:49 pm

Valo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:36 pm
sloanb wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:28 pm
Valo wrote:
Mr_Knight wrote:
Patpatriot wrote:

I also didn't get a "thank you for confirming" email either

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:11 am

Valo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:49 pm

[/quote]

There really is no universal format anymore. I think they do this on purpose to throw us off :lol:

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:37 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:11 am
Valo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:49 pm

There really is no universal format anymore. I think they do this on purpose to throw us off :lol:
[/quote]

Yep. Seems to be a lot of people waiting a pretty long time after their confirmation of address email to get their congrats email too. Seems they chop and change how things work every few months.

Shanners
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Shanners » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 pm

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience to me, and might be able to offer advice.

FBR registration rejected as there was no birth certificate for grandmother.

Great-grandmother married in Cork, had two children, then widowed in 1904 (still in Cork). She is on the 1901 census with husband and first child.

On 1911 census, she lives in Dublin as a widower with 2 children.

My grandmother was born in 1906, probably in Cork or Dublin - as she was illegitimate, I wonder whether this might have been the reason for the move to Dublin.

There was no birth certificate for my grandmother. She was baptised in Shrewsbury a month after her birth in 1906, with my great-grandmother listed as her mother, and the name of her father (different surname). It is likely that her parents were unable to have her baptised in Ireland without causing a scandal, at the time.

She was placed into a Catholic children's home in Westminster in 1908, with her parents names listed on the entry and a Dublin address given for her mother.

Her parents married in 1915 in Dublin.

I submitted all the evidence that I have for this, which does tend towards the strong likelihood that my grandmother was born in Ireland; however, without a birth certificate, the very nice lady who processed my application explained that she was unable to confirm my application. She told me that it would be worth appealing, then someone "higher" can look at the application.

I just wondered whether anyone else has a similar history and has found a way around this situation.

Thanks.

BlimeyOReilly
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by BlimeyOReilly » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:40 pm

I don’t know how to find the spreadsheet to update but have received address confirmation emails today 😀

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:06 pm

Shanners wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:53 pm
I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience to me, and might be able to offer advice.

FBR registration rejected as there was no birth certificate for grandmother.

Great-grandmother married in Cork, had two children, then widowed in 1904 (still in Cork). She is on the 1901 census with husband and first child.

On 1911 census, she lives in Dublin as a widower with 2 children.

My grandmother was born in 1906, probably in Cork or Dublin - as she was illegitimate, I wonder whether this might have been the reason for the move to Dublin.

There was no birth certificate for my grandmother. She was baptised in Shrewsbury a month after her birth in 1906, with my great-grandmother listed as her mother, and the name of her father (different surname). It is likely that her parents were unable to have her baptised in Ireland without causing a scandal, at the time.

She was placed into a Catholic children's home in Westminster in 1908, with her parents names listed on the entry and a Dublin address given for her mother.

Her parents married in 1915 in Dublin.

I submitted all the evidence that I have for this, which does tend towards the strong likelihood that my grandmother was born in Ireland; however, without a birth certificate, the very nice lady who processed my application explained that she was unable to confirm my application. She told me that it would be worth appealing, then someone "higher" can look at the application.

I just wondered whether anyone else has a similar history and has found a way around this situation.

Thanks.
That sounds very odd. Not one I've heard of before. The thing is, since FBR is on the basis of a grandparent, you'd very likely I'm guessing absolutely 100% need a birth certificate for that grandparent you are claiming on behalf of. I'd defo appeal it if you can though.

Also, just out of curiosity, when did you receive your address check? I'm asking because I'm wondering if they highlight any issues with the application either during or after the address check stage.

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:11 pm

Some of you might have noticed that the DFA webpages state "Due to the current Royal Mail industrial action, we have temporarily suspended posting passports and documentation to Great Britain and Northern Ireland with effect from December 12th. We will keep this under review."

I contacted the DFA to see if this was still accurate, as the last Royal Mail strike was on 24th December. The webchat agent stated that intercountry post has been suspended by the Royal Mail due to an internal issue <that ransomware attack affecting their international operations> and that the suspension will last till the end of January at the earliest, with no indication as to when it might be lifted. So, for anyone in the UK waiting on FBR certificates or passports, either they were shipped in early December or are being held back. My approval email arrived on 13th Dec so I'm pretty sure the certificate hasn't even been posted.

I also checked the Royal Mail website and today's update (https://t.co/vAqqaDZfSo) states that international services are beginning to resume. Interestingly, the same bulletin says that "Our import operations continue to perform a full service, with some minor delays." so perhaps the DFA have taken a unilateral decision to suspend posting or they've made some agreement with the Royal Mail. Either wouldn't be surprising given the value of the documents concerned.

Anyway, for those Brits who've received approval emails but no certificates, it seems we must be patient for a little longer.

BlimeyOReilly
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by BlimeyOReilly » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:41 pm

Application online: 30/1/22
Docs received email: 4/2/22
Address check email:18/1/23
Emails to say Certificates going into a Print Queue: 19/1/23

The email I got today said the print queue is currently 3-4 weeks long and I will get another email once the certificates are printed. I was also supplied with an An Post tracking number that will be activated once the package hits their postal system, no mention of the Royal Mail strikes affecting anything - not to say that they aren't, just no reference made about them

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:56 pm

BlimeyOReilly wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:41 pm
Application online: 30/1/22
Docs received email: 4/2/22
Address check email:18/1/23
Emails to say Certificates going into a Print Queue: 19/1/23

The email I got today said the print queue is currently 3-4 weeks long and I will get another email once the certificates are printed. I was also supplied with an An Post tracking number that will be activated once the package hits their postal system, no mention of the Royal Mail strikes affecting anything - not to say that they aren't, just no reference made about them
Eyy congratulations! I still haven't heard a peep and I got my address confirmation on the 9th of Jan for a 12th of Jan 2022 application. However, the fact they have told you that the print queue is 3-4 weeks long actually helps shed some light on why it might be taking some people so long to get their congratulations emails.

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:18 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:11 pm
Some of you might have noticed that the DFA webpages state "Due to the current Royal Mail industrial action, we have temporarily suspended posting passports and documentation to Great Britain and Northern Ireland with effect from December 12th. We will keep this under review."

I contacted the DFA to see if this was still accurate, as the last Royal Mail strike was on 24th December. The webchat agent stated that intercountry post has been suspended by the Royal Mail due to an internal issue <that ransomware attack affecting their international operations> and that the suspension will last till the end of January at the earliest, with no indication as to when it might be lifted. So, for anyone in the UK waiting on FBR certificates or passports, either they were shipped in early December or are being held back. My approval email arrived on 13th Dec so I'm pretty sure the certificate hasn't even been posted.

I also checked the Royal Mail website and today's update (https://t.co/vAqqaDZfSo) states that international services are beginning to resume. Interestingly, the same bulletin says that "Our import operations continue to perform a full service, with some minor delays." so perhaps the DFA have taken a unilateral decision to suspend posting or they've made some agreement with the Royal Mail. Either wouldn't be surprising given the value of the documents concerned.

Anyway, for those Brits who've received approval emails but no certificates, it seems we must be patient for a little longer.
Cheers for the info! I am still waiting for some sort of confirmation pending my address check on the 19th Dec. Had hoped I would get it today seeing as it's bang on a month later.

I'm totally fed up of the UK now. The place is falling apart at the seams. No issues at all with anyone on strike, I fully support them, but my god this country has gone to pot with no train services, postal services or ambulances. Feels like the country is being held together on goodwill and gaffer tape

Shanners
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Shanners » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:55 pm

That sounds very odd. Not one I've heard of before. The thing is, since FBR is on the basis of a grandparent, you'd very likely I'm guessing absolutely 100% need a birth certificate for that grandparent you are claiming on behalf of. I'd defo appeal it if you can though.

Also, just out of curiosity, when did you receive your address check? I'm asking because I'm wondering if they highlight any issues with the application either during or after the address check stage.

Thanks for replying Valo.

Address check was 6 Jan 2023.

I emailed the other day (Tuesday 16th Jan) to check whether my application had been processed as I was aware of a delay in printing the certificates; the lady processing my application then rang to explain that my application had been rejected.

On the same day, my husband emailed regarding his application (address check Jan 5) and received an email reply, very promptly, to let him know that his application had been confirmed and had been sent for printing. His "processor" confirmed the delay in printing. Both of his grandparents were born in Ireland, and obtaining the certificates for his application was straightforward.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:19 pm

Shanners wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:55 pm

I emailed the other day (Tuesday 16th Jan) to check whether my application had been processed as I was aware of a delay in printing the certificates; the lady processing my application then rang to explain that my application had been rejected.

On the same day, my husband emailed regarding his application (address check Jan 5) and received an email reply, very promptly, to let him know that his application had been confirmed and had been sent for printing. His "processor" confirmed the delay in printing. Both of his grandparents were born in Ireland, and obtaining the certificates for his application was straightforward.
Interesting that it took you emailing them for them to let you know that your application wasn't successful. You'd think they'd email you about that... Makes me kind of worried now because this Monday coming will be 2 weeks since my address check and I've heard nothing. I'm estranged from my parent so can't provide their state ID, but everything else is in order, including all the birth and marriage certificates etc.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:34 pm

Valo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:19 pm
Shanners wrote:

Interesting that it took you emailing them for them to let you know that your application wasn't successful. You'd think they'd email you about that... Makes me kind of worried now because this Monday coming will be 2 weeks since my address check and I've heard nothing. I'm estranged from my parent so can't provide their state ID, but everything else is in order, including all the birth and marriage certificates etc.
Kinda want to email the person dealing with my application now, lol.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:50 pm

Valo wrote:
Shanners wrote:

I'd say you're in a much easier position that the other poster. There have been several people I've seen on here who've been approved despite being estranged from a parent and not being able to provide some document related to that (using an affidavit etc). In the other scenario, being that the whole FBR process hinges on verifying an Irish born grandparent, that's a much trickier situation.

I do wonder tho, there must be a workaround for lack of documented birth in a the modern sense. My grandmother was born in 1922 in Bandon, which is a very small town. Thankfully I had no issues getting her birth certificate. However, around that area at that time and well into the mid 20th century, there were many very rural towns in Ireland that probably did not have the same level of sophistication to these bureaucratic process which are the standard today. Baptismal and other church records may have been prioritized over an official government birth certificate in such places. Also there were a lot of moving pieces in that generation. my Grandmother for example was born just prior to Irish independence and had a UK passport for most of her life.

Of course in a another 10 - 20 years, there won't be any applicants with grandparents from that time frame so maybe the FBR just doesn't prioritize accommodating such edge cases. Has to be a way tho I would think.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:55 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:50 pm
Valo wrote:
Shanners wrote:

I'd say you're in a much easier position that the other poster. There have been several people I've seen on here who've been approved despite being estranged from a parent and not being able to provide some document related to that (using an affidavit etc). In the other scenario, being that the whole FBR process hinges on verifying an Irish born grandparent, that's a much trickier situation.

I do wonder tho, there must be a workaround for lack of documented birth in a the modern sense. My grandmother was born in 1922 in Bandon, which is a very small town. Thankfully I had no issues getting her birth certificate. However, around that area at that time and well into the mid 20th century, there were many very rural towns in Ireland that probably did not have the same level of sophistication to these bureaucratic process which are the standard today. Baptismal and other church records may have been prioritized over an official government birth certificate in such places. Also there were a lot of moving pieces in that generation. my Grandmother for example was born just prior to Irish independence and had a UK passport for most of her life.

Of course in a another 10 - 20 years, there won't be any applicants with grandparents from that time frame so maybe the FBR just doesn't prioritize accommodating such edge cases. Has to be a way tho I would think.
I agree. I've been in contact with 2 people. One on here and one elsewhere. Both in the same predicament as me, lack of state ID due to estrangement, both got told they will have their application processed.

Also another thing that I feel makes it a lot easier in my case is that I actually live with my Irish born grandparent. She isn't dead, so it wasn't a death certificate but rather a copy of her British passport. Logically, it should be easier because of this. Anyone can order a death certificate online via the relevant registry office, but you can't exactly order a copy of a person's passport. The only way I'd be able to obtain a copy of my grandparents state ID would be to know them.

LongWayDown
Newly Registered
England

Post by LongWayDown » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:49 am

Valo wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:34 pm
Valo wrote:
Shanners wrote:

Kinda want to email the person dealing with my application now, lol.
The whole thing seems completely random. I used to work in a government claim processing dept whereby each of us would be responsible for a certain number of surnames by alphabetical order so of course you would get a different level of service dependent upon your name! I'm guessing something similar is going on there.

It's been just over a month since my address check and nothing yet.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:13 pm

*sees the number 2 on my email app indicating two new emails*

Surely this is it?

*opens email, it’s an email from PayPal and an email from some stupid Nigerian prince*

Kill me. Lmao

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:04 pm

Just got a reply from the person processing my application. It’s approved and is in the queue for printing.

Standard spiel about Brexit delay etc etc, but is good to finally here that it is due to be printed and has been approved.