ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lifeinvader23
Newly Registered
European Union

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Lifeinvader23 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:05 pm

Hey everyone.

Applied online in May 2021
Documents received sometime in oct 21 due to Covid.
Email confirmation 15th of December.
Citizenship confirmation: 31/01/23
Awaiting certificate.

Terah
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Terah » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:46 pm

Hi all. Long time lurker.

Just got the address check email. Awesome how much this has speeded up recently!

Application submitted - 01/Mar/2022
Documents received email - 22/Mar/2022
Address confirmation email - 31/Jan/2023

Info added to FBR spreadsheet.

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:49 pm

Terah wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:46 pm
Hi all. Long time lurker.

Just got the address check email. Awesome how much this has speeded up recently!

Application submitted - 01/Mar/2022
Documents received email - 22/Mar/2022
Address confirmation email - 31/Jan/2023

Info added to FBR spreadsheet.
Oh wow. Mine was received 21/03/2022... I'm going to be constantly refreshing my phone for new emails now for the next month or so! Haha.

Terah
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Terah » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:33 pm

morgendorffer wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:49 pm

Oh wow. Mine was received 21/03/2022... I'm going to be constantly refreshing my phone for new emails now for the next month or so! Haha.
Me too until the FBR confirmation (hopefully!) comes through. Good luck!

cyforcypher
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by cyforcypher » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:40 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:08 pm
cyforcypher wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:57 pm
Hi there! It's exciting to see how fast things are moving along! I applied in late August and had a couple questions:

First, I'm just wondering about the dimensions of the envelope the FBR certificate comes in. Is it folded, regular letter size, or a bigger envelope? The former would fit in my mailbox, the latter would not. I'm wondering because from what I'm hearing, signatures are no longer required, and my apartment is a hot spot for porch pirates, so I'm a little paranoid it would get stolen. ('Tho I guess large envelopes are less likely to be stolen.)

Second, does anyone know if it's possible to pick up their FBR certificate in person? Judging by the current timeline, I will be travelling in Ireland near the time the certificate is ready.

Thanks, and best wishes to you all!
My envelope arrived today (UK), measuring 324x256mm. Just a regular envelope, not hard backed. It contained 2 A4 plastic document sleeves, one containing a congratulations letter and the certificate and the other with my original documents (birth/death certificates, proof of address etc but not my original cover letter or notarised copies of documents). Together the whole thing is quite bendy, certainly our local postman got it through the letter box without damage. The envelope was marked 'Registered Post. Signature Required' but it was just put through the door.

Regarding in person collection, I don't know about that but somone who used to be on this forum visited the DFA in Dublin, I think between Covid lockdowns. Your best bet in that regard is probably to contact the DFA.
Thank you to you and EmilyEU for your help! I will indeed ask the DFA if they can send it private couriered if picking it up isn't possible or advised.

EmilyEU
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmilyEU » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:03 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:34 am
EmilyEU wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:43 am
If anyone who lodged a FBR application after summer 2022. Please reply and post or keep this thread updated.
Thank you !!
There's a spreadsheet where we crowdsource the info posted here so we can all see the progress.
Link is in my signature.

Thanking you. The support on this forum has been great.

I added entries for:
snugglebug
IdaCanada
Ben-94
tullgor
Dirk66
EmilyEU
Poppy_19
jrmurray993

It looks to me that the time from "congrats email" to "cert received" is rising. I suspect the major bottleneck has moved to printing the FBR cert.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:46 am

Application submitted: 03/12/2020
Documents recieved: 18/12/2020
Email requesting a document & address confirmation: 16/11/2022
Email confirming acceptance of document. Address confirmation (again): 05/01/2023
Email congratulations. Certificate has been printed & posted: 01/02/23

What a relief. 💚🤍🧡

mx_cathain
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by mx_cathain » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:50 am

Long time lurker, found this such a calming steer when losing my mind a bit. I'm still a bit worried my application will fail as I too am in the 'estranged difficult parent group'. My father won't give me, let alone notarise, his state id, we don't speak as it's the best for the pair of us now. However I didn't include this in the original application and have now written an email to fbr_urgent to add this to the note, and will reiterate it again when I get the address confirmation (taken some advice from others in this forum) - any advice on anything further would be helpful. Should I also get an affadavit ready?

Thanks to all for all past guidance.

Application submitted: 04/08/2022
Documents recieved: 15/08/2022
Address confirmation: TBC
Email Congratulations: TBC

bsprtsgrp
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by bsprtsgrp » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:28 am

I'm officially Irish! Received today....

Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful.

A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope.

If you live in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, Passport Online is the fastest and cheapest way for you to get your first Irish passport. See https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/ for more information.

Online Application Sent: April 30, 2021
Documents Mailed USPS Priority International: May 1, 2021
Tracking Mail Received in Balbriggan: May 11, 2021
Mailing Address Confirmation email received and sent: January 5, 2023
Congratulations email: February 1, 2023
FBR Certificate Received: TBD

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:46 am

mx_cathain wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:50 am
'estranged difficult parent group'
Should I also get an affadavit ready?
Yes. They will ask. Mine was worded similar to this because I had seen previous cases here where they ask for aunties/uncles photo ID instead:

I am (name) of (address).
I am the son of (parent).
I have been irreconcilably estranged from (my parent) and their family for a number of years. As a result, I am not able to get a copy of their Passport or Photo ID.

I understand that providing false or incomplete information is punishable by law. By signing below, I affirm that the information is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm

mx_cathain wrote:
Long time lurker, found this such a calming steer when losing my mind a bit. I'm still a bit worried my application will fail as I too am in the 'estranged difficult parent group'. My father won't give me, let alone notarise, his state id, we don't speak as it's the best for the pair of us now. However I didn't include this in the original application and have now written an email to fbr_urgent to add this to the note, and will reiterate it again when I get the address confirmation (taken some advice from others in this forum) - any advice on anything further would be helpful. Should I also get an affadavit ready?

What I did was include a cover letter along with an affidavit with my application. So yes, defo do this. I also included my uncle (mothers brothers birth certificate and state ID). I have been approved.

mx_cathain
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by mx_cathain » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:09 pm

Valo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm
mx_cathain wrote:

What I did was include a cover letter along with an affidavit with my application. So yes, defo do this. I also included my uncle (mothers brothers birth certificate and state ID). I have been approved.
Thanks both - I'll get an affadavit ready in that case and I'll send it when they request more information. Asking my aunt isn't possible so I'll rely on the non-contact.

Bramleyapple12
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Bramleyapple12 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:54 pm

I also have finally received my fbr after 30 months waiting. I'm delighted but again it's in my maiden name so I'm imagining this is correct? I have sent an email to query it.

ozzy0174
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ozzy0174 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:43 pm

Hi everyone,
Bit confused/worried that my timescale doesn't seem to be matching up with everyone else.

Sent documents for joint application with my brother November 2021 and received no confirmation. (Started application September 2020 but COVID closed the office before I could send docs)
Got address check 29 December 2022, confirmed by email and my brother had to submit proof of new address. Got reply for my address being confirmed but my brother got nothing back.
Haven't received anything since, no confirmation of address change being ok. Nada.
Tried emailing again to see what was going on aed calling and they didn't want to give me the time of day, just told me to wait and seemed to just want to get me off the phone.

Any similar experiences or timeframes out there?

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 pm

ozzy0174 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:43 pm
Hi everyone,
Bit confused/worried that my timescale doesn't seem to be matching up with everyone else.

Sent documents for joint application with my brother November 2021 and received no confirmation. (Started application September 2020 but COVID closed the office before I could send docs)
Got address check 29 December 2022, confirmed by email and my brother had to submit proof of new address. Got reply for my address being confirmed but my brother got nothing back.
Haven't received anything since, no confirmation of address change being ok. Nada.
Tried emailing again to see what was going on aed calling and they didn't want to give me the time of day, just told me to wait and seemed to just want to get me off the phone.

My dates are on page 250-nearly 8 weeks between address check and approval emails although I was officially registered 2 1/2 weeks after the address check. Anecdotally, it seems that the address check is happening much earlier in the overall process than previously and there has also been a reported backlog in certificate printing.

bsprtsgrp
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by bsprtsgrp » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:29 pm

I just applied for my Irish Passport in anticipation that my FBR Cert. will be delivered soon. One of the documents they are requiring I send them is an Original Passport from Country of birth (USA). To clarify, are they asking that I send them my current active US Passport OR my previous US Passport (which I have) that is now expired?

EmilyEU
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmilyEU » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:19 am

bsprtsgrp wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:29 pm
I just applied for my Irish Passport in anticipation that my FBR Cert. will be delivered soon. One of the documents they are requiring I send them is an Original Passport from Country of birth (USA). To clarify, are they asking that I send them my current active US Passport OR my previous US Passport (which I have) that is now expired?

You can submit a certified copy as long as it notarized/verified by a lawyer. I wouldn't recommend sending your orginal passport unless you are living in Ireland and not planning to travel and sending expired - maybe send them an email.

Jroberts93
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jroberts93 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:25 am

Hi everyone, very excited to be submitting my FBR application. A couple of questions/concerns, though!

Firstly, do we just need to provide a photocopy of the ID page of a passport? I’m assuming we don’t need to send copies of the travel history pages, but wanted to double check.

Secondly, I’m planning to move from London, UK to Canada in June. Will this complicate things if my application is already submitted? Will I be jeopardising my application if I state my parents’ address as my own now, despite currently living elsewhere? (I’m on a lease which will end in July and use my parents’ address as my main address for bank and payslips admin, so proof of address won’t be an issue).

When the address confirmation email comes later down the line, if I’m still in Canada, do I need to provide proof of residence again, or can I just say by email that my address hasn’t changed if I’m happy for the certificate to be sent to my parents’ place?

Cheers! Joe

hayburnman
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by hayburnman » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:47 am

Hello

Keep checking my emails every day!

Application submitted: 09/01/2022
Documents received: 24/01/2022
Email requesting address confirmation: 12/01/2023
Email congratulations. TBC

Is this normal

Thanks

ceylan1987
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by ceylan1987 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:07 am

Hi everyone!

Updating the thread as I applied in August 2022.

Applied online: 11/08/2022
Email stating docs received:17/08/2022
FBR confirmation: TBC

Am hoping that mine should come back June/July judging on the recent timelines from people applying early 2022 and receiving their confirmations now!

I did call the office the other day and they said expect it to be done in Spring 2024, but I do think they are getting through all the applications now so am hoping for my confirmation this summer :D

Positive vibes all

ozzy0174
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ozzy0174 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:11 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 pm
ozzy0174 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:43 pm
Hi everyone,

My dates are on page 250-nearly 8 weeks between address check and approval emails although I was officially registered 2 1/2 weeks after the address check. Anecdotally, it seems that the address check is happening much earlier in the overall process than previously and there has also been a reported backlog in certificate printing.
Ah so it could be that I've been approved but they're not sending congrats emails until closer to printing, and it's printing that's holding things up?

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:55 pm

Bramleyapple12 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:54 pm
I also have finally received my fbr after 30 months waiting. I'm delighted but again it's in my maiden name so I'm imagining this is correct? I have sent an email to query it.
In some respects it’s the equivalent of a birth certificate so yes, maiden name. See the general queries section of the FAQ: https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... cent-faqs/

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:55 pm

bsprtsgrp wrote:
I sent my original active (not expired) US passport.
I had it back in my hands 38 days after I mailed it.

On the passport discussion, thread some folks had had problems with notarized copies and I didn't want to deal with that.

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:09 am

Morning folks, finally got my certificate through the post. Postman didn't ask for a signature and just dropped it through my letter box.

Thanks to everyone who answered my queries and put up with me moaning about the wait. It will feel odd not checking this sub every few days as has become a habit over the last year and a half.

Off to join the passport thread if I can find it. Good luck everyone!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:37 am

bsprtsgrp wrote:
I sent a notarized copy of my current passport, and they accepted it without issue. You can go to UPS or mailbox/shipping store with a notary public and they will notarize the copy. I know other people have had issues with this, but in my case there was no issue. I had a business trip planned and couldn't risk sending my active passport.