ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility for naturalisation when returning to UK after 1 year of absence

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

honestguy2020
India

Eligibility for naturalisation when returning to UK after 1 year of absence

Post by honestguy2020 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all doing good.

I have a question regarding British citizenship application process as below:

I got my ILR in December 2022. I know I can apply for citizenship after 12 months of getting ILR.

However, I need to go to my home country for a year and a few months (Less than 2 years which is the maximum time after which ILR is lapsed) due to a personal exigency.

Now my question is - when I return to the UK after 1 year and a few months, when would I be eligible to apply for naturalisation.

For example - If I leave today(2nd Feb 2023) and come back on 2nd Feb 2024 on ILR. When would I be able to apply for naturalisation. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Any help hugely appreciated.

Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Eligibility for naturalisation when returning to UK after 1 year of absence

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:09 pm

You need to meet both absence requirements to apply for citizenship.

No more than 450 days absence in the 5 years immediately prior to the date you apply and additionally, no more than 90 days absence in the 12 months immediately prior to the date you apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

honestguy2020
India

Post by honestguy2020 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:07 pm

Thanks for your kind reply.

In my case, I'll be out for an year and there'll be a gap in residence history (don't own a house rather been renting).
Considering that I'll return within 365 days and when I return, total absence in the last 5 years will be less than 450 days. What address shall I put under the residence history for the period that I was away for.
Can I put an international address for that period?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:39 pm

It will be awhile before you can apply, suggest ask your questions nearar the time.

The address doesn't make a difference.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

honestguy2020
India

Post by honestguy2020 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:37 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:39 pm
It will be awhile before you can apply, suggest ask your questions nearar the time.

The address doesn't make a difference.
Appreciate your help. The reason I'm asking these questions now is that I need to make a decision to go for an year in a few weeks/months time.

Hopefully, I won't have issues due to the absence and I could apply for naturalisation after 12 months if my return.

Kind Regards

uuee6543
United Kingdom

Post by uuee6543 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:50 am

As per the first reply, you will NOT be able to apply immediately on your return. You would have been away for more than 90 days in the previous year. So you would need to wait almost a full year after returning to the UK before you can apply. And also make sure that if you add up all your holidays, your absence isn’t more than 450 days in total as that will also disqualify you.

honestguy2020
India

Post by honestguy2020 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:34 pm

Thank you :)