ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I get new Tier 2 outside UK before my current Tier 2 expires?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Performance
Newly Registered
Japan

Can I get new Tier 2 outside UK before my current Tier 2 expires?

Post by Performance » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:19 pm

Hello everyone
I was hoping to get some advice/insights.

I have recently received an offer to join a new company which will sponsor me. I am still on Tier 2 by my former employer (left the company recently) and have to switch the sponsor.

For personal reasons I have to go back to my home country for a while. The question is

1. I understand I need to be in the UK to switch visa. What if I apply for a new Tier 2 from outside the country before my current visa expires?
2. If above is possible, what is the implications on my ILR?

THANK YOU

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Can I get new Tier 2 outside UK before my current Tier 2 expires?

Post by manci » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:06 pm

Performance wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:19 pm
1. I understand I need to be in the UK to switch visa. What if I apply for a new Tier 2 from outside the country before my current visa expires?
Your last employer will have reported to the Home Office the end of the sponsorship and the HO will curtail your permission, normally to 60 days from the date of the curtailment letter. If you leave the UK during the curtailment period your permission lapses automatically and you will not be able to return. However, once you have a defined CoS from the prospective new sponsor you can apply for a new Skilled Worker visa from abroad.
Performance wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:19 pm
2. If above is possible, what is the implications on my ILR?
Continuous residence will be broken and your ILR clock will re-set to zero.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice