ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Visitor Visa for Indian Parents and Nephew with Previous Refusal

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Webbon13
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

UK Visitor Visa for Indian Parents and Nephew with Previous Refusal

Post by Webbon13 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:06 pm

Hi

I am applying for my parents and my 10 year old nephew to visit me and my husband during my nephew’s summer holidays. I have ILR / Settled status. I am planning to sponsor their visit fully though they are insisting on paying for the flight tickets themselves - which they can afford.

I had applied for my parents, elder sister, brother-in-law and nephew to visit me 5 years ago and had received refusal. They missed attaching my joint bank account statements that had around £9k savings ( I have almost double the savings and another house this time around if that makes a difference). Also, the refusal talked about lack of evidence around ties to home country and their lack of funds. We then met in Bali for a family get together instead of going for reapplication.

My sister has since had twins and my parents help look after them since they live in the same town. My parents also have large extended family in the same state that they visit on monthly basis.

My parents are both retired. My dad gets 20k INR pension. My brother and I send my mum around £100pm each which she barely ever uses. They get rental income of around 10k INR but it's always a cash transaction and there's no official tenancy contract, as is usually the case in smallI ndian towns.

My parents have since visited my brother, who is settled in Canada, on super visa twice. This gives me hope that it should be easier for them to get visitor visa this time around. I have a few queries below, if someone can help guide me on them.

a. Would it be easier to get approval if I only apply for my parents and not my nephew?
Last I saw my nephew was in early 2021 when I had to visit my dad because of a health scare. I could only meet him once because of quarantine rules / India getting added to red list. So, if possible, I would really like to spend some quality time with him.

b. Should I apply for all three of them as a group or submit as individual application with individual invitation letter?
I am only thinking of separate applications in case my parents could get the visa but nephew couldn't. I don't want it to appear as an attempt to mislead the HO though.

c. Regarding ties to home country, I had submitted all of their ids, property documents for the house and land my dad owns as well as the medical insurance my dad gets for himself and my mum for being retired govt employee.
I also mentioned how this health insurance is crucial for them since my dad has heart problems/diabetes etc. Perhaps it didn't work because all of the key family members were coming. Should I also add ids of my maternal/paternal relatives who my parents have strong ties with? What else can I add this time around?

d. My mum retired almost a decade ago from a teaching job to open a shop at home. The earnings were never enough for ITR and all the transactions are done in cash. She doesn't qualify for pension just yet but has around 8 lakh INR in her account as savings. Would this cause any issue?

e. My nephew is very active in school and other extra curricular activities. Would a NOB from his school suffice? I'll also provide his parents bank statements, NOB letter, their employment status etc.

f. Documents provided in last application were as below:
  • Individual application letter and one invitation/sponsor's letter for the group
  • Passports and Adhaar Cards for all applicants
  • My husband’s and my passports
  • My UK Residence Permit
  • Bank statements for my parents, sister & brother-in-law - they didn't attach all of their accounts' statements
  • Property documents for my parents house against my dad's name
  • My dad's pension slips
  • Registry of land my mum owns
  • Registry and Council tax bills for house my sister's in-laws own where my sister and her family resides
  • 6-month Payslips, employer letter, tax returns, from me, my husband, sister and brother-in-law
  • Property documents for 4-bed detached house I and my husband own in UK
  • My Council tax letters for 6 months
g. Here's my mum's rejection letter. Everyone else's rejection letter was almost the same. Could you please advise what else to add to address the refusal points?
Your application for a visit visa to the United Kingdom has been refused.

How your application was considered

You have applied for a visa to visit the UK.

In deciding whether you meet the requirements of Appendix V: Immigration Rules for

⚫ your immigration history

visitors (https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... tion-rules), I have considered: ⚫ your application, and any additional relevant information you have provided with it,

The decision

⚫ I have refused your application for a visit visa because I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of paragraphs V4.2(a), V4.2(c) and V4.3(c) of Appendix V: Immigration Rules for Visitors because:

You state that you wish to visit the UK for 1 month and 1 day with your spouse, daughter, son-in-law and grandson to visit your daughter and son-in-law in the UK. understand and accept that family visits are important and have therefore carefully considered all of the elements of your application, weighing the importance of your proposed visit against the requirements of the Immigration Rules.

⚫ I have considered the information you have provided about your personal and economic circumstances. You state in your application form that you are a retired and receive total income of 412000 INR (approximately £5024 using the OANDA exchange rate on your date of application). I am not satisfied that you have provided adequate evidence to substantiate this statement as this income is not reflected in the financial evidence you have submitted with your application. This is relevant, as unambiguous evidence of your pattern of income or means of support is required to assess your situation in India. I am not therefore satisfied that your circumstances are as stated.

You state that you are intending to spend 35000 INR (approximately £426) on your visit and that your sponsor will be giving you £500 towards the cost of your visit. I note that the same sponsor intends to spend £2050 on your visit and the trips of your other family members. Both you and your family appear to have insufficient funds to meet the cost of your visit and are dependent on your relative in the UK helping to meet the cost. I am not satisfied from the evidence provided with your application that you have demonstrated strong economic, social and family ties in India that would encourage you to leave the UK at the end of your trip. Nor am satisfied that the expenditure for this visit is commensurate with your financial circumstances. This casts doubt on your credibility and reasons for wishing to travel to the UK and I am not satisfied that you are a genuine visitor and would leave the UK at the end of your visit. I am therefore refusing your application under paragraph V4.2 (a) and (c) of the UK Immigration Rules.

• As noted above you are reliant on your UK sponsor in the UK contributing £2050 for you and your family to visit the UK. As evidence of your sponsor's circumstances you have submitted bank statement account number ending xxxx with a closing balance on 22 January 2017 of £543.21 and bank statement account number ending 8997 with a closing balance on 12 February 2017 of £751.17. I am not satisfied from the evidence provided with your application that the expenditure for your visit, and that of your other 4 family members, le commensurate with your UK sponsor's financial circumstances and that they have sufficient funds to contribute towards the cost of your visits and meet all your living costs in the UK. Nor am satisfied from the evidence provided that your UK sponsor has adequate space in their accommodation for all of you. Taking all of the above into consideration am not therefore satisfied that your sponsor can and will provide adequate support to you for the intended duration of your stay. am therefore also refusing your application under paragraph V4.3(c) of the Immigration Rules.
Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: UK Visitor Visa for Indian Parents and Nephew with Previous Refusal

Post by Ticktack » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 am

Webbon13 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:06 pm
Hi

I am applying for my parents and my 10 year old nephew to visit me and my husband during my nephew’s summer holidays. I have ILR / Settled status. I am planning to sponsor their visit fully though they are insisting on paying for the flight tickets themselves - which they can afford. If your parents are refused the visa, your nephew would automatically fail too, as he can't travel solo. Apply for your parents alone. Nephew can apply with them when they go for a renewal. Sponsor fully would greatly depend on what your account balance is!

I had applied for my parents, elder sister, brother-in-law and nephew to visit me 5 years ago and had received refusal. They missed attaching my joint bank account statements that had around £9k savingsThey probably would still have been rejected, too mnay people. ( I have almost double the savings and another house this time around if that makes a difference) it would help with just your parents as stated above. Also, the refusal talked about lack of evidence around ties to home country and their lack of funds. We then met in Bali for a family get together instead of going for reapplication.

My sister has since had twins and my parents help look after them since they live in the same town. My parents also have large extended family in the same state that they visit on monthly basis.

My parents are both retired. My dad gets 20k INR Hard to assess, as I don't know what the is in £. pension. My brother and I send my mum around £100pm each which she barely ever uses. They get rental income of around 10k INR but it's always a cash transaction and there's no official tenancy contract, as is usually the case in smallI ndian towns.

My parents have since visited my brother, who is settled in Canada, on super visa twice. This gives me hope that it should be easier for them to get visitor visa this time around. I have a few queries below, if someone can help guide me on them. It could help, but no guarantees. They need to navigate the tricky questions regarding finances correctly. Questions like how much are you going to spend? How much is someone willing to give you? What is this trip going to cost you personally? How much are you spending on flight. Don't call crazy monies. Let the monies match your incomes, and let it be reasonable to spend on a short holiday.

a. Would it be easier to get approval if I only apply for my parents and not my nephew? I'd go with that.
Last I saw my nephew was in early 2021 when I had to visit my dad because of a health scare. I could only meet him once because of quarantine rules / India getting added to red list. So, if possible, I would really like to spend some quality time with him. Just being blunt here, you could always go to India to see him. That's what the ECO would also think.

b. Should I apply for all three of them as a group or submit as individual application with individual invitation letter? Parents as a group.
I am only thinking of separate applications in case my parents could get the visa but nephew couldn't. I don't want it to appear as an attempt to mislead the HO though.

c. Regarding ties to home country, I had submitted all of their ids, property documents for the house and land my dad owns as well as the medical insurance my dad gets for himself and my mum for being retired govt employee. Add that again.
I also mentioned how this health insurance is crucial for them since my dad has heart problems/diabetes NHS red flagsetc. Perhaps it didn't work because all of the key family members were coming. Should I also add ids of my maternal/paternal relatives who my parents have strong ties with? What else can I add this time around? Not sure ID's of your entire family would make a difference.

d. My mum retired almost a decade ago from a teaching job to open a shop at home. The earnings were never enough for ITR and all the transactions are done in cash. She doesn't qualify for pension just yet but has around 8 lakh INR in her account as savings. Would this cause any issue? Ask her to make a receipt and try to always use that. Paper trail.

e. My nephew is very active in school and other extra curricular activities. Would a NOB from his school suffice? I'll also provide his parents bank statements, NOB letter, their employment status etc. Leave him be for now.

f. Documents provided in last application were as below: Documents listed are fine. Use them again
  • Individual application letter and one invitation/sponsor's letter for the group
  • My UK Residence Permit
  • Bank statements for my parents, sister & brother-in-law - they didn't attach all of their accounts' statements
  • My dad's pension slips
  • Registry and Council tax bills for house my sister's in-laws own where my sister and her family resides
  • 6-month Payslips, employer letter, tax returns, from me, my husband, sister and brother-in-law
g. Here's my mum's rejection letter. Everyone else's rejection letter was almost the same. Could you please advise what else to add to address the refusal points?

In deciding whether you meet the requirements of Appendix V: Immigration Rules for

visitors (https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... tion-rules), I have considered: ⚫ your application, and any additional relevant information you have provided with it,

The decision

⚫ I have refused your application for a visit visa because I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of paragraphs V4.2(a), V4.2(c) and V4.3(c) of Appendix V: Immigration Rules for Visitors because:

You state that you wish to visit the UK for 1 month and 1 day with your spouse, daughter, son-in-law and grandson to visit your daughter and son-in-law in the UK. understand and accept that family visits are important and have therefore carefully considered all of the elements of your application, weighing the importance of your proposed visit against the requirements of the Immigration Rules.

⚫ I have considered the information you have provided about your personal and economic circumstances. You state in your application form that you are a retired and receive total income of 412000 INR (approximately £5024 using the OANDA exchange rate on your date of application). I am not satisfied that you have provided adequate evidence to substantiate this statement as this income is not reflected in the financial evidence you have submitted with your application. This is relevant, as unambiguous evidence of your pattern of income or means of support is required to assess your situation in India. I am not therefore satisfied that your circumstances are as stated. No proper audit trail of how income is got and probably not constant figures monthly to show a pattern.

You state that you are intending to spend 35000 INR (approximately £426)too much for personal spending £100 should be fine. on your visit and that your sponsor will be giving you £500 towards the cost of your visit. I note that the same sponsor intends to spend £2050 on your visit and the trips of your other family members. Both you and your family appear to have insufficient funds to meet the cost of your visit and are dependent on your relative in the UK helping to meet the cost.heavy load to put on one person. It makes it look like you're the breadwinner. I am not satisfied from the evidence provided with your application that you have demonstrated strong economic, social and family ties in India that would encourage you to leave the UK at the end of your trip. Nor am satisfied that the expenditure for this visit is commensurate with your financial circumstances. This casts doubt on your credibility and reasons for wishing to travel to the UK and I am not satisfied that you are a genuine visitor and would leave the UK at the end of your visit. I am therefore refusing your application under paragraph V4.2 (a) and (c) of the UK Immigration Rules.

• As noted above you are reliant on your UK sponsor in the UK contributing £2050 for you and your family to visit the UK. As evidence of your sponsor's circumstances you have submitted bank statement account number ending xxxx with a closing balance on 22 January 2017 of £543.21 and bank statement account number ending 8997 with a closing balance on 12 February 2017 of £751.17. I am not satisfied from the evidence provided with your application that the expenditure for your visit, and that of your other 4 family members, le commensurate with your UK sponsor's financial circumstances and that they have sufficient funds to contribute towards the cost of your visits and meet all your living costs in the UK. Nor am satisfied from the evidence provided that your UK sponsor has adequate space in their accommodation for all of you. Taking all of the above into consideration am not therefore satisfied that your sponsor can and will provide adequate support to you for the intended duration of your stay. am therefore also refusing your application under paragraph V4.3(c) of the Immigration Rules.
Interesting read, before I got to the end of the rejection letter, I was saying to myself that how do you plan to fit all these folks into your house!

Key things you need to look at when making visitors applications is that (it might sound very stupid), Brits can only think like Brits.
Maximum time we spend on holidays is like 2 weeks. Some holidays are like just the weekend. When your start making applications for 1 month plus, it starts looking funny. There's nothing actually wrong with, just nice to keep it tidy.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Webbon13
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Webbon13 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:36 am

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 am
Webbon13 wrote:
Hi

I am applying for my parents and my 10 year old nephew to visit me and my husband during my nephew’s summer holidays. I have ILR / Settled status. I am planning to sponsor their visit fully though they are insisting on paying for the flight tickets themselves - which they can afford. If your parents are refused the visa, your nephew would automatically fail too, as he can't travel solo. Apply for your parents alone. Nephew can apply with them when they go for a renewal. Sponsor fully would greatly depend on what your account balance is!
Thanks, think I'll go this way then.

I had applied for my parents, elder sister, brother-in-law and nephew to visit me 5 years ago and had received refusal. They missed attaching my joint bank account statements that had around £9k savingsThey probably would still have been rejected, too mnay people.
In hindsight, I was indeed extremely naive inviting the whole family over.
( I have almost double the savings and another house this time around if that makes a difference) it would help with just your parents as stated above. Also, the refusal talked about lack of evidence around ties to home country and their lack of funds. We then met in Bali for a family get together instead of going for reapplication.

My parents are both retired. My dad gets pension
worth £200pm Hard to assess, as I don't know what the is in £. pension. My brother and I send my mum around £100pm each which she barely ever uses. They get rental income of around £100pm but it's always a cash transaction and there's no official tenancy contract, as is usually the case in smallI Indian towns.

My parents have since visited my brother, who is settled in Canada, on super visa twice. This gives me hope that it should be easier for them to get visitor visa this time around. I have a few queries below, if someone can help guide me on them. It could help, but no guarantees. They need to navigate the tricky questions regarding finances correctly. Questions like how much are you going to spend? How much is someone willing to give you? What is this trip going to cost you personally? How much are you spending on flight. Don't call crazy monies. Let the monies match your incomes, and let it be reasonable to spend on a short holiday.
Thanks. We'll mostly just travel locally as they are not used to long weekend trips. I am thinking of mentioning sponsoring around £1200-£1400 per person with flights costing around £1000 per person.We have savings of around £20k so hopefully this should seem reasonable. They can show their own contribution of around £70 per person.

a. Would it be easier to get approval if I only apply for my parents and not my nephew? I'd go with that.
Last I saw my nephew was in early 2021 when I had to visit my dad because of a health scare. I could only meet him once because of quarantine rules / India getting added to red list. So, if possible, I would really like to spend some quality time with him. Just being blunt here, you could always go to India to see him. That's what the ECO would also think.

b. Should I apply for all three of them as a group or submit as individual application with individual invitation letter? Parents as a group.

c. Regarding ties to home country, I had submitted all of their ids, property documents for the house and land my dad owns as well as the medical insurance my dad gets for himself and my mum for being retired govt employee. Add that again.
I also mentioned how this health insurance is crucial for them since my dad has heart problems/diabetes NHS red flagsetc.
I was hoping this will show that they won't opt to overstay here illegally leaving access to health care back home. But you are right, I'll leave it out this time around.
Perhaps it didn't work because all of the key family members were coming. Should I also add ids of my maternal/paternal relatives who my parents have strong ties with? What else can I add this time around? Not sure ID's of your entire family would make a difference.

d. My mum retired almost a decade ago from a teaching job to open a shop at home. The earnings were never enough for ITR and all the transactions are done in cash. She doesn't qualify for pension just yet but has around £8k in her account as savings. Would this cause any issue? Ask her to make a receipt and try to always use that. Paper trail.

e. My nephew is very active in school and other extra curricular activities. Would a NOB from his school suffice? I'll also provide his parents bank statements, NOB letter, their employment status etc. Leave him be for now.

f. Documents provided in last application were as below: Documents listed are fine. Use them again
  • My UK Residence Permit
  • My dad's pension slips

The decision

⚫ I have considered the information you have provided about your personal and economic circumstances. You state in your application form that you are a retired and receive total income of 412000 INR (approximately £5024 using the OANDA exchange rate on your date of application). I am not satisfied that you have provided adequate evidence to substantiate this statement as this income is not reflected in the financial evidence you have submitted with your application. This is relevant, as unambiguous evidence of your pattern of income or means of support is required to assess your situation in India. I am not therefore satisfied that your circumstances are as stated. No proper audit trail of how income is got and probably not constant figures monthly to show a pattern.

You state that you are intending to spend 35000 INR (approximately £426)too much for personal spending £100 should be fine. on your visit and that your sponsor will be giving you £500 towards the cost of your visit. I note that the same sponsor intends to spend £2050 on your visit and the trips of your other family members. Both you and your family appear to have insufficient funds to meet the cost of your visit and are dependent on your relative in the UK helping to meet the cost.heavy load to put on one person. It makes it look like you're the breadwinner. I am not satisfied from the evidence provided with your application that you have demonstrated strong economic, social and family ties in India that would encourage you to leave the UK at the end of your trip. Nor am satisfied that the expenditure for this visit is commensurate with your financial circumstances. This casts doubt on your credibility and reasons for wishing to travel to the UK and I am not satisfied that you are a genuine visitor and would leave the UK at the end of your visit. I am therefore refusing your application under paragraph V4.2 (a) and (c) of the UK Immigration Rules.

Interesting read, before I got to the end of the rejection letter, I was saying to myself that how do you plan to fit all these folks into your house!

Key things you need to look at when making visitors applications is that (it might sound very stupid), Brits can only think like Brits.
Maximum time we spend on holidays is like 2 weeks. Some holidays are like just the weekend. When your start making applications for 1 month plus, it starts looking funny. There's nothing actually wrong with, just nice to keep it tidy.
I should have thought of the cultural difference. I have 4-bed detached house and have no kids so thought that should prove I have enough room to host two couples and a kid. I'll apply for just the parents to be on safe side. If we apply for 2 weeks but they stay over for three weeks, would that be an issue for their next visit?
Thanks for taking your time to address all my queries!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:16 am

Staying longer for the period you stated should not be an issue. Note their itinerary/return ticket at PoE.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:29 am

I think the type of accommodation or length of stay were not the cause for rejection, it was a matter of finances. The response from the HO is self explanatory.
Webbon13 wrote:
They missed attaching my joint bank account statements that had around £9k savings
Basically the letter says that neither the visitor nor the sponsor had enough funds for the intended visit. This is the first thing you need to address and improve in any further application.

On the other hand, have a read at the HO website and see what documents you need to provide as supporting evidence of your application. In particular, utility/council bills or letters and other documents you've listed are not required for a visitors visa application, and the HO explicitly advises not to upload them because they'll have no impact on the outcome. We need to be sensible with these applications.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:54 pm

Webbon13 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:36 am
Ticktack wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:32 am
Webbon13 wrote:
Hi

Thanks, think I'll go this way then.

I had applied for my parents, elder sister, brother-in-law and nephew to visit me 5 years ago and had received refusal. They missed attaching my joint bank account statements that had around £9k savingsThey probably would still have been rejected, too mnay people.
In hindsight, I was indeed extremely naive inviting the whole family over.
( I have almost double the savings and another house this time around if that makes a difference) it would help with just your parents as stated above. Also, the refusal talked about lack of evidence around ties to home country and their lack of funds. We then met in Bali for a family get together instead of going for reapplication.

My parents are both retired. My dad gets pension
worth £200pm Hard to assess, as I don't know what the is in £. pension. My brother and I send my mum around £100pm each which she barely ever uses. They get rental income of around £100pm but it's always a cash transaction and there's no official tenancy contract, as is usually the case in smallI Indian towns.

Thanks. We'll mostly just travel locally as they are not used to long weekend trips. I am thinking of mentioning sponsoring around £1200-£1400 per person with flights costing around £1000 per person.We have savings of around £20k so hopefully this should seem reasonable. They can show their own contribution of around £70 per person. Do a bit of research and find what the cost of the cheapest ticket is from India to the UK. Even if the ticket shows they'd spend 70 hours between here and there. Use that as your ticket standard. When they get the visa you can buy them 1st class on any airline that you wish. Write in your cover letter that you would be fully responsible for their accommodation and general up keep. £200 each for their stay is enough apart from ticket. Keep it simple. Personally, your parents can say that it's costing them £200 & £100. Their monthly. What you don't want is for the ECO to bring out their calculators and start punching away.

I also mentioned how this health insurance is crucial for them since my dad has heart problems/diabetes NHS red flagsetc.
I was hoping this will show that they won't opt to overstay here illegally leaving access to health care back home. But you are right, I'll leave it out this time around.
Perhaps it didn't work because all of the key family members were coming. Should I also add ids of my maternal/paternal relatives who my parents have strong ties with? What else can I add this time around? Not sure ID's of your entire family would make a difference.

d. My mum retired almost a decade ago from a teaching job to open a shop at home. The earnings were never enough for ITR and all the transactions are done in cash. She doesn't qualify for pension just yet but has around £8k in her account as savings. Would this cause any issue? Ask her to make a receipt and try to always use that. Paper trail.

• My UK Residence Permit
  • My dad's pension slips

The decision

I should have thought of the cultural difference. I have 4-bed detached house and have no kids so thought that should prove I have enough room to host two couples and a kid. I'll apply for just the parents to be on safe side. If we apply for 2 weeks but they stay over for three weeks, would that be an issue for their next visit?
Thanks for taking your time to address all my queries!
They can stay for 3 weeks. Travel plan changes all the time. It's a bit like having a driving test. You follow the rules to pass the test, and you drive how you like within the confines of the rules when you pass the test.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!