ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on British citizenship for my daughter.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

srinivasradaram

Query on British citizenship for my daughter.

Post by srinivasradaram » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:55 am

Hi All,

Sorry to bother you.

I got my ILR in May 2022 and I have applied for my daughters ILR (she is 13 years old). My youngest is 8 and was born in UK so I learnt that she is eligible for UK citizenship, however my query is, can I apply for my eldest (who is yet to receive her ILR decision) or should I wait for 1 year after she receives her ILR?

Thanks in advance.

-Srini.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Query on British citizenship for my daughter.

Post by Ticktack » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:49 pm

srinivasradaram wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:55 am
Hi All,

Sorry to bother you.

I got my ILR in May 2022 and I have applied for my daughters ILR (she is 13 years old). My youngest is 8 and was born in UK so I learnt that she is eligible for UK citizenship Correction, eligible to be registered., however my query is, can I apply for my eldest (who is yet to receive her ILR decision) or should I wait for 1 year after she receives her ILR?

Thanks in advance.

-Srini.
You're not bothering anyone.

What about the other parent? What's the immigration story?
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

srinivasradaram

Post by srinivasradaram » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:07 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:49 pm
srinivasradaram wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:55 am
Hi All,

Sorry to bother you.

I got my ILR in May 2022 and I have applied for my daughters ILR (she is 13 years old). My youngest is 8 and was born in UK so I learnt that she is eligible for UK citizenship Correction, eligible to be registered., however my query is, can I apply for my eldest (who is yet to receive her ILR decision) or should I wait for 1 year after she receives her ILR?

Thanks in advance.

-Srini.
You're not bothering anyone.

What about the other parent? What's the immigration story?

My wife is awaiting her ILR results along with my eldest daughter.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:28 pm

srinivasradaram wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:07 pm
They both can go for citizenship when they receive their ILR then; wife is married to a British citizen, child can apply in line with other parent, via the same form under discretion.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... le-version
Children applying in line with parents
Children will come within this category if:

one parent is a British citizen or about to become one through registration or naturalisation

the other parent (if involved in the child’s life) is a British citizen or settled in the UK (“settled” usually means that the parent has indefinite leave to remain in the UK)

the child has been resident in the UK for the last 2 years - (if the child is under the age of 2 we can accept a shorter residence period, taking into account the age of the child)

the child is settled in the UK

both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are provided)

there is no reason to refuse on character grounds
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

srinivasradaram

Post by srinivasradaram » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:10 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:28 pm
srinivasradaram wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:07 pm
They both can go for citizenship when they receive their ILR then; wife is married to a British citizen, child can apply in line with other parent, via the same form under discretion.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... le-version
Children applying in line with parents
Children will come within this category if:

one parent is a British citizen or about to become one through registration or naturalisation

the other parent (if involved in the child’s life) is a British citizen or settled in the UK (“settled” usually means that the parent has indefinite leave to remain in the UK)

the child has been resident in the UK for the last 2 years - (if the child is under the age of 2 we can accept a shorter residence period, taking into account the age of the child)

the child is settled in the UK

both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are provided)

there is no reason to refuse on character grounds
I am not British citizen yet, I am on my ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:13 pm

In that case, your spouse has to wait 1 year on ILR and your child born abroad can apply when either parent is applying for citizenship and the other parent holds ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srinivasradaram

Post by srinivasradaram » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:37 pm

Thanks you.

Just to summarize, I have to wait for 1 year on ILR however, I can apply for my kids(one born here in UK and eldest born in India once she gets her ILR) citizenship. For my wife too I have to wait for a year.

Pls correct me if I misunderstood it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:08 pm

Your uk born child can already apply when either parent has ILR

Your child born abroad cannot. This child can only apply when either parent is also applying and the other parent has ILR

Very important to note that the rules are different for UK born children, they have an entitlement to register as British and do not require ILR or a valid visa. The same does NOT apply to children born abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srinivasradaram

Post by srinivasradaram » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:56 pm

Thank you CR00. Very helpful as usual.

Coming to "Very important to note that the rules are different for UK born children, they have an entitlement to register as British and do not require ILR or a valid visa.", my youngest is born in UK and her visa (the visa with which we came to UK) expires in May 2023 so I am rushing to apply for her citizenship as I received my ILR in 2022 May.

Reading your reply, does it mean I don't need to apply for her citizenship yet and can wait and apply for all of our citizenship after a year when my wife and eldest receive their ILR?

Sorry for many questions.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:03 pm

You could have applied for your UK Born child as soon as you got ILR last year.

You can apply for the UK born child at any point and it won't be refused even though she will be an overstayer once the visa expires.

She will not be entitled to free NHS once her visa expires. You would have to pay 150% of the NHS cost.

Your choice what you choose to do but there is no benefit in delaying it. Note also that there is no discount for family applications if that is what you were thinking. Each applicant has to pay the fee and each applicant has to meet the requirements individually.
Char (CR001 not Casa)