ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to Citizenship; then back to ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nbhitesh
Newly Registered

ILR to Citizenship; then back to ILR

Post by nbhitesh » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:18 pm

Dear moderators, I have an ILR now and I can apply for British citizenship; if I am granted citizenship, is there any way that I could cancel the citizenship in the future and revert to ILR?

This might be a strange question but my country does not allow dual citizenship; hence, I might have to cancel British citizenship in the distant future but I still want to keep the ILR.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ILR to Citizenship; then back to ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:27 pm

No - when you become a British citizen your prior immigration status is wiped as you don't need it.
If you renounce BC then you have no status and would have to leave and start a new visa journey, as far as I know.
See also: https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nat ... itizenship.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: ILR to Citizenship; then back to ILR

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:39 am

nbhitesh wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:18 pm
Dear moderators, I have an ILR now and I can apply for British citizenship; if I am granted citizenship, is there any way that I could cancel the citizenship in the future and revert to ILR?

This might be a strange question but my country does not allow dual citizenship; hence, I might have to cancel British citizenship in the distant future but I still want to keep the ILR.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
As responded by alterhase58, there is no way you pick up or return back to ILR automatically on renouncing British Citizenship, it will be back to an immigration pathway for years to culminate in ILR again.
Begs the question of why apply for BC at all?
You may want to keep your current citizenship while holding UK ILR.