ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Valo
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Valo » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:25 am

Patpatriot wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:31 am
I took this from someone’s FB post, might help explain things for those waiting….

“ I notice there are quite a few queries regarding the variable length of time between confirmation of address and congratulations email.
I had an email from the person who sent my confirmation of address explaining that she had forwarded my application to a team leader for final approval. Apparently not all staff are authorised to do the final approval, those that get a quick turnaround we’re lucky to have their applications assessed by someone who could also approve but she explained there are way more staff who check than those who can approve. The other kicker is, as they have been processing far more applications recently the backlog for approval has increased and up to 8 weeks would not be unusual.”
The email I got from the person dealing with my application said “Your foreign births registration application has been approved and is pending for printing and dispatch” that was on Jan 20th after I emailed the person dealing with my application. My confirmation of address was on Jan 9th. Still waiting.

DamianMartin
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by DamianMartin » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:24 am

Hi all,

So glad I found this forum. Thank you to everyone keeping this forum alive, and that spreadsheet :shock: WOW! You are an awesome community.

I have a question regarding the Documents received email. I received an email that states "Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received." however if I have a look at the tracking number on parcelforce.com, it says that the documents arrived in Ireland but was then sent back to me from Ireland. So I am a bit confused as to where my docs are. Is that the correct Documents received email, or does the documents received email actually say "Documents received" and not "Application Received"?

Thank you in advance.

DamianMartin
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by DamianMartin » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:43 am

Does it matter if the Grandparent of the applicant is still alive or have passed away? If the Grandparent passes away during the 2 years application process, does this effect the application?

sloanb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by sloanb » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am

DamianMartin wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:24 am
Hi all,

So glad I found this forum. Thank you to everyone keeping this forum alive, and that spreadsheet :shock: WOW! You are an awesome community.

I have a question regarding the Documents received email. I received an email that states "Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received." however if I have a look at the tracking number on parcelforce.com, it says that the documents arrived in Ireland but was then sent back to me from Ireland. So I am a bit confused as to where my docs are. Is that the correct Documents received email, or does the documents received email actually say "Documents received" and not "Application Received"?

Thank you in advance.
The email I got when my documents were received read “Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received.” It doesn’t state documents received.

Not sure why Parcel Force is telling you they are on their way back, but I haven’t found them to be the most reliable of tracking services anyway. Is the tracking indicating where they are on their way back (if they are)? If you’re concerned drop the FBR a line to get confirmation.

DamianMartin
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by DamianMartin » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:15 am

sloanb wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am
DamianMartin wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you in advance.
The email I got when my documents were received read “Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received.” It doesn’t state documents received.

Not sure why Parcel Force is telling you they are on their way back, but I haven’t found them to be the most reliable of tracking services anyway. Is the tracking indicating where they are on their way back (if they are)? If you’re concerned drop the FBR a line to get confirmation.
Thank you. So theoretically they did receive the documents and Parcelforce is just being weird.

The last update for the tracking is 31 Jan - Sent back to sender.

I will give FBR a call and get confirmation.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:32 am

DamianMartin wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:43 am
Does it matter if the Grandparent of the applicant is still alive or have passed away? If the Grandparent passes away during the 2 years application process, does this effect the application?
It doesn't affect the application process.
So long as everything was correct and in order at the time of your application.

LongWayDown
Newly Registered
England

Post by LongWayDown » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:09 pm

DamianMartin wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:15 am
sloanb wrote:
DamianMartin wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

Thank you. So theoretically they did receive the documents and Parcelforce is just being weird.

I received my certificate last week and posted it last Friday from the UK with my passport application. Couldn't send it via Royal Mail due to what they say is some online hack. Latest update now states "returned to sender". Called Parcel Force and they said it has been rejected by Irish customs for reasons unknown and that they are know for being very strict. It's literally just pieces of paper which is declared on the form and they can see it's going to the passport office. So that's 20 quid down the drain for no reason, lots of wasted time and I have no idea how I am going to send it. Maybe I will fly over, might be easier...

Sirjack1982
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sirjack1982 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:14 pm

Sirjack1982 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:36 am
Hi, newbie to this thread - but this seems to be the best info out there for application wait times! So thank you for all your posts, which I’ve read with fascination this morning.

I myself applied only last summer (Aug ‘21). At the time, the foreign births info I saw online (I thought) said that once you paid the fee (and got the confirmation email back for that) and once you sent the documents to Ireland for processing - the only confirmation that the documents received, were from the recorded delivery tracking (saying it had been received at the destination).

So far I have had zero correspondence from the Foreign Births department, since that mail tracking confirmation it had arrived at their offices.

Fully expecting to wait another year or so until the application is finished, but does this sound normal to you folks? Or should I have received an email from them by now?

Many thanks,
John

So an update from my original reply on this thread in Apr 2022 above - I got a request in December 22 for more information (I'd stupidly forgotten to add in some documents relating to my mother's identity in my original application) which they asked me to send to Dublin - plus they asked me to confirm my current address.

Despite the extra package I needed to send, I was very happy to finally get a response from the foreign births department after complete radio silence for so long! They had my application. Also, encouragingly - after an email reply from me (where I asked about when I might expect to get my certificate once they have my address confirmation and additional documents) the person said in an email in mid December 22:
"If all your documents connect back correctly you should have your new cert in the next week or two".

Well that didn't happen. I write this in early-Feb, and after I sent the additional docs, I didn't hear back from the same person at the dfa for quite a while. I chased, and and chased, until I got a response via email in late January - basically explaining that there was a huge Xmas backlog of post. I then sent my tracking confirmation to show proof from my side, and right at the end of Jan, I was then told they have a log that my package was received in Dublin - but stated to me: "Our documentation team are receiving a high level of new documentation and they are strictly working through the postage in order of when it was received. As soon as I get them I’ll let you know".

I guess I'm taking that as, I need to be patient! They will let me know! But a one to two week prediction in December for receiving the full certificate - has now turned into months. Fingers crossed, I'm at the final stages now. Anyway, I thought some of you might want to hear my recent story! I'm optimistic, but also have a baby on the way (who would be eligible to apply too under current rules, as long as I get this paperwork in before his/her birth) so the clock is ticking! Thanks all.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:30 pm

Sirjack1982 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:14 pm
but also have a baby on the way (who would be eligible to apply too under current rules, as long as I get this paperwork in before his/her birth) so the clock is ticking! Thanks all.
You possibly should've mentioned pregnancy so your application would be expedited to make sure the child would also be able to get Irish citizenship that way; think I've seen a few forum posts or timelines mentioning that.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:44 pm

Application submitted - 26/September/2022
Documents received email - 10/October/2022

I was originally thinking late 2024 to mid 2025 time frame. It is super exciting to think I could actually get it in 2023! Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

EmilyEU
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmilyEU » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:23 am

LongWayDown wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:09 pm
DamianMartin wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:15 am
sloanb wrote:
DamianMartin wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

I received my certificate last week and posted it last Friday from the UK with my passport application. Couldn't send it via Royal Mail due to what they say is some online hack. Latest update now states "returned to sender". Called Parcel Force and they said it has been rejected by Irish customs for reasons unknown and that they are know for being very strict. It's literally just pieces of paper which is declared on the form and they can see it's going to the passport office. So that's 20 quid down the drain for no reason, lots of wasted time and I have no idea how I am going to send it. Maybe I will fly over, might be easier...
It is possible that there are some unpaid customs fees either from uk or irish side # thankstoBrexit .....some post offices or couriers forget to include these fees or provide the appropriate paperwork. Etc particularly for larger packages of documents or small parcels etc. I indeed had an issue posting something from London to Ireland and it was returned to me even though I filled out the paperwork and paid the fees. Provided correct address. Most companies won't bother shipping to EU now from UK as its too complex.

I would check Anpost.ie with tracking number or call the private courier you chose if you didn't use Royally slow mail.

EmilyEU
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmilyEU » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:42 am

Pdf of statistics on foreign birth and passport applications for 2022. If of any use.

244006_bdedea4b-6828-4e77-a5f8-3b03ccc13a68-1.pdf244006_bdedea4b-6828-4e77-a5f8-3b03ccc13a68-1.pdf

djx138
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by djx138 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:45 am

EmilyEU wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:42 am
Pdf of statistics on foreign birth and passport applications for 2022. If of any use.

244006_bdedea4b-6828-4e77-a5f8-3b03ccc13a68-1.pdf244006_bdedea4b-6828-4e77-a5f8-3b03ccc13a68-1.pdf
It doesn’t look like you can add PDFs here..

ferocious12

Post by ferocious12 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:58 am

EmilyEU wrote:

can you share screenshot instead?

seemcd
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by seemcd » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:37 am

google for
"passport service press release 2022"

TichB
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by TichB » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:39 pm

Hi all,
about posting of documents to Ireland. The first time I sent mine they were returned as they were sent as a package, this requires a CN22 or CN23 to be completed and attached.
I have just posted my passport application as a large letter, which according to the Royal Mail does not require a declaration as it is correspondence and not a gift or goods. I will hopefully find out if it's been accepted or returned.
This may answer why some people get returned applications.

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered
England

Post by ilikefrogs » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:08 pm

Today I tried to post my passport supporting documenting to Dublin via the Royal Mail here in the UK, only to be told they are not sending any large letters or parcels internationally due to a cyber attack four weeks ago.

I can send it via parcel force at the cost of £20, or wait until Royal Mail systems are back online.

One Royal Mail delay after another!

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:48 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:08 pm
Today I tried to post my passport supporting documenting to Dublin via the Royal Mail here in the UK, only to be told they are not sending any large letters or parcels internationally due to a cyber attack four weeks ago.

I can send it via parcel force at the cost of £20, or wait until Royal Mail systems are back online.

Basically the UK in 2023. Nothing bloody works anymore.

lukedt1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lukedt1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:12 pm

Hello! I have been following this thread, after stumbling on it once I was asked for address confirmation. I didn't expect to hear from them nearly a whole year sooner so started looking and found my way here :)

Here are my dates
Application Date: 12 January 2022
Received in Balbriggan: 4 February 2022
Address Confirmation: 11 January 2023
Congratulations email: TBC
FBR Certificate Received: TBC

I had noticed a few of you had contacted the department asking for any updates after the address confirmation email. That it has been a bit of a mix, some getting congratulations soon after and others quite a while after. I contacted the person who was reviewing mine for an update but never received a response. I did also call the FBR helpline to ask if they may know. They said that from Address Confirmation to the Congratulations (if lucky) email it can take around 1-1.5 months. That around 50% of applications are also randomly spot checked, which is why some may take longer. I assume mine is part of the random spot check!

Hopefully I will get a result either way soon! :D

LongWayDown
Newly Registered
England

Post by LongWayDown » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:15 pm

ilikefrogs wrote:

Just be careful. See mine above where I sent it with Parcel Force last week and it's been sent back to me. Well, I haven't received it yet and have no idea where it is but it has been rejected. I filled in the customs form with the help of the Royal Mail staff who checked it yet it's still been rejected. When I get it back I'm going to fly out to DUB from BHX for 33 pounds return and post it myself. I know it's sounds ridiculous to do it but it's only slightly more expensive than posting it and risking this stupidness again.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:06 pm

lukedt1 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:12 pm
I had noticed a few of you had contacted the department asking for any updates after the address confirmation email. That it has been a bit of a mix, some getting congratulations soon after and others quite a while after. I contacted the person who was reviewing mine for an update but never received a response. I did also call the FBR helpline to ask if they may know.
I think they send congratulations email the day it is printed & posted now. My certificate shows I was added on the FBR 1 month before I recieved the email that is was posted.

EmilyEU
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmilyEU » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:10 pm

djx138 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:45 am
EmilyEU wrote:

It doesn’t look like you can add PDFs here..
Yes I know but you can google it...i tried to attach a snip share to no avail...it does have interesting facts/stats and I can tell you that it is accurate....the government does work well when it comes to research

https://www.google.ie/search?q=passport ... nt=gws-wizresearch

EmilyEU
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmilyEU » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:11 pm

LongWayDown wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:15 pm
ilikefrogs wrote:

Just be careful. See mine above where I sent it with Parcel Force last week and it's been sent back to me. Well, I haven't received it yet and have no idea where it is but it has been rejected. I filled in the customs form with the help of the Royal Mail staff who checked it yet it's still been rejected. When I get it back I'm going to fly out to DUB from BHX for 33 pounds return and post it myself. I know it's sounds ridiculous to do it but it's only slightly more expensive than posting it and risking this stupidness again.
I actually think that's a good idea as crackers as it sounds....nothing functions now in uk since regrexit...

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:17 pm

sloanb wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:56 pm
I've managed to restore the spreadsheet using the last version I could confirm was right (31 January 15:40), and then going back over the updates since then on the forum I've managed to complete the blanks. It looks correct now, but I can't be absolutely sure. And if anyone has updated the spreadsheet but not added to the forum since 31 January then that will be missing.
Thanks so much for fixing that, sloanb!
Do you have any suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again? Are there permissions changes I could make that would prevent it?

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:26 pm

Regarding posting from UK to Ireland at around midday the post office refused to allow me to send a letter to Ireland without a customs declaration (this is insane) I returned a few hours later with the customs declaration attached & was told it wasn't necessary and they accepted it as track & signed.
Confusing 😕