ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Outside of Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Outside of Ireland

Post by shpirtshqipe » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:11 pm

Hi all,

How long can you stay outside of ireland all in one go on a 10 year residence permit (obtained through EU Citizen) without one’s status not being affected?

Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: Outside of Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:32 pm

post2059066.html#p2059066
almost all stamps covered by domestic laws allow people to be out of the country for a maximum of 3 months, with the exception EUTR (6 months) and IIP (0/1 day).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:40 pm

Since you mentioned 10 years residence permit, I presume you are referring to the permanent residency rights under EU Treaty. In that case, it’s 2 consecutive years.

If you have not yet obtained a permanent residency permit, you can only be out of the country for 6 months in a rolling 12-month period.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:50 pm

Link below. If you need to be outside of the country for an extended period, I would suggest that you print this page and bring it with you when you come back to Ireland. Some border officers are not always up-to-date on these policies.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r ... dex_en.htm
Losing the right of permanent residence
You can lose your right to permanent residence if you live outside the country for more than 2 consecutive years.

Permanent residence for your EU family members
The same rights apply to your EU family members. They are also entitled to a permanent residence document in the country where they have resided with you legally for a continuous period of 5 years.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:18 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:40 pm
Since you mentioned 10 years residence permit, I presume you are referring to the permanent residency rights under EU Treaty. In that case, it’s 2 consecutive years.
That’s correct Littlerr, it is the permanent residence permit

I’ll be sure to have the link you posted printed out when travelling back to ireland just to be on the safe side

Thank you all for your help

Regards