ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application question: Do you have any passports from other countries?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

OneTrickPony
United Kingdom

British passport application question: Do you have any passports from other countries?

Post by OneTrickPony » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:38 pm

I am a naturalised British citizen and Home Office holds my old passports from my country of birth. Applying for the first time British adult passport and this question is one of the first: Do you have any passports from other countries? What should I answer? If I answer YES the passport office will ask me to send it to them them? I cannot send them because HO already has them in posession if I say NO would that not be as hiding the truth or something. Obviously I have nothing to hide. Anyways.... They are not specific at all and it made me create this post... :(

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British passport application question: Do you have any passports from other countries?

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:45 pm

I expect the best way is to declare you have a passport - clearly you can't provide it - if you have a copy of it provide that and include a covering note explain the circumstances, if no copy enclose the covering note anyway and any copies of Home Office correspondence referring to your original passport. If you a Home Office Travel Document include that as well. It's not a unique situation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

OneTrickPony
United Kingdom

Re: British passport application question: Do you have any passports from other countries?

Post by OneTrickPony » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:56 pm

Right, so my answer is YES to declare? And will send them notes and copies if any. I got it thanks. Now, you also mentioned I should send them my Home Office Travel Documents too? I have in fact two of them one expired and one valid. Are they gonna return me those back once the passport is processed? Because as far as I know those Travel Documents and my Refugee ID card need to be destroyed now and need to be sent to a certain address as they will be rendered invalid now that I have British Citizenship? Asking cause I thought that the Home Office and His Majesty Passport Office were separate entities (?)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:07 pm

OneTrickPony wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:56 pm
Right, so my answer is YES to declare? And will send them notes and copies if any. I got it thanks. Now, you also mentioned I should send them my Home Office Travel Documents too? I have in fact two of them one expired and one valid. Are they gonna return me those back once the passport is processed? Because as far as I know those Travel Documents and my Refugee ID card need to be destroyed now and need to be sent to a certain address as they will be rendered invalid now that I have British Citizenship? Asking cause I thought that the Home Office and His Majesty Passport Office were separate entities (?)
HMPO are part of the Home Office, though they run separate/different processes.
From what I know from past postings here is that HMPO will retain the TD and forward to the appropriate department. Clearly the TD is now invalid.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

OneTrickPony
United Kingdom

Post by OneTrickPony » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:52 pm

Regarding to this question:

Parents’ details

- name, date and place of birth
- nationality
- UK passport details (if this applies)
- date of marriage or civil partnership (if this applies)

Do you know if I still need to provide my biological parents' date of marriage or civil partnership if they are divorced? Is this mandatory requirement? They are long divorced and my father has changed his passport and he remarried and I asked him sadly he cannot find his previous marriage certificate. Haven't contacted my mom yet but knowing her, my mom never cared about her documents much and any such formalities especially such thing as marriage certificate with my father lol Big chance that she might have lost her marriage certificate too. And they are both not in the UK which makes it even harder for me.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:01 pm

Your claim to British citizenship is through naturalisation, not through parentage, so the details are not required (not sure whether they are mandatory fields). In terms of documentation you only need to supply your nat. certificate and current/previous TD/passports.
Note: the application form caters for all scenarios so some items won't make sense to you, and others aren't even mentioned ...