ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel and Return after Curtailment

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

falconine
Newly Registered
India

Travel and Return after Curtailment

Post by falconine » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:59 pm

I have been made redundant recently but haven't received a curtailment letter nor been told that HR has informed the home office. And now I have to travel to my home country for a close family wedding. My BRP still shows active on right to rent/right to work portal.

I wanted to know if it is possible to return to the UK on the same BRP if I haven't received the curtailment letter during that period ?

I understand it will be a risky move, but have there been any stories where a person was stopped or allowed to enter in such a situation?

My BRP expiry date is in 2025.

Any advice will be immensely appreciated. Thank you!

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Travel and Return after Curtailment

Post by lolo2 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:51 pm

It will be hard to find someone who tested the immigration officers in this way. The general question asked to a SW visa holder at the port of entry is your place of work. Most certainly the officer will know the current status despite the BRP is still valid.

The employer is required to notify the Home Office of your contract termination within 10 days of your last working day. Your status on the right to work portal can take weeks or even months to be updated, sometimes it does not happen immediately.

It is unpredictable when someone will receive a curtailment letter.

falconine
Newly Registered
India

Post by falconine » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:03 pm

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am aware that border control can question in that regards but just as a general query if the BRP is still valid and curtailment hasn't been issued , how can the immigration officer deduce that the place of work is invalid or has been changed?

Thanks again!

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:41 pm

They will not deduce anything, the computers they have at the border control tell them everything.

The update on their system starts from when this happen:
The employer is required to notify the Home Office of your contract termination within 10 days of your last working day
It does not matter your BRP has not yet expired or you haven't received a curtailment letter.

falconine
Newly Registered
India

Post by falconine » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:31 pm

I understand. I am curious to know what is on the system that tells them that. Is it the COS update?

I am not sure if my employer has told the HO about redundancy. I understand it says that as a rule. But the HR never mentioned anything regarding that which is quite strange. But I know I cannot take my chances on the basis of that.

What if I am refused entry at the border control but I explain to them that I am coming inside to collect my stuff and sort out my affairs, will they be empathetic to the situation? They can trigger the 60-day curtailment and I anyway would have to leave before that.

:!:

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:18 am

falconine wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:31 pm
I understand. I am curious to know what is on the system that tells them that. Is it the COS update?

I am not sure if my employer has told the HO about redundancy. I understand it says that as a rule. But the HR never mentioned anything regarding that which is quite strange. But I know I cannot take my chances on the basis of that.

What if I am refused entry at the border control but I explain to them that I am coming inside to collect my stuff and sort out my affairs, will they be empathetic to the situation? They can trigger the 60-day curtailment and I anyway would have to leave before that.

:!:
Don't have an exact response to above. Empathy for what??? Update the thread of the outcome of your testing.

falconine
Newly Registered
India

Post by falconine » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:32 pm

Update: I ended up not going and taking the risk.

From what I read and understood it's too big of a risk.

I still haven't received any letter from HO.

Mjkkk
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Mjkkk » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:41 am

Have you managed to return ? I'm in a similar situation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:49 am

Mjkkk wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:41 am
Have you managed to return ? I'm in a similar situation.
The user very clearly stated they did NOT travel!!
falconine wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:32 pm
Update: I ended up not going and taking the risk.

From what I read and understood it's too big of a risk.

I still haven't received any letter from HO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.