ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Things to do after receiving British citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

londoner2015
Newly Registered
Russia

Things to do after receiving British citizenship

Post by londoner2015 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 am

Is there something like a checklist of things I should do after naturalisation? So far I have this:
  • Get on the electoral register
  • Get a provisional driving licence (BRP is gone so need a new ID card)
  • For those who need to report it to the country of their first citizenship - report it
  • Do I need to tell my bank? My mortgage lender? NHS? Anyone else?..
  • ... anything else I forgot?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Things to do after receiving British citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:53 am

There isn't an official checklist ... there's no legal requirement to tell anyone, though it might make things easier, i.e. no questions about your immigration status.
Tell your bank, you may be able to do this in online banking (I discovered I was listed as British long before I naturalised....).
Tell your employer (copy of passport).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Things to do after receiving British citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:25 pm

londoner2015 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 am
Is there something like a checklist of things I should do after naturalisation? So far I have this:
  • Get on the electoral register Remember that from May 2023 elections onwards you will need to present photo ID, for example your new passport ....
  • Get a provisional driving licence (BRP is gone so need a new ID card)
  • For those who need to report it to the country of their first citizenship - report it
  • Do I need to tell my bank? My mortgage lender? NHS? Anyone else?..
  • ... anything else I forgot?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.