ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 6 for dual citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Stanina
Ireland

Stamp 6 for dual citizenship

Post by Stanina » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:03 pm

Can someone point me in to the direction of the procedure to receive Stamp 6 in my foreigner passport?

It does specify that it can not be done online but does not specify procedure:
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/registe ... categories

I live in Wicklow County, should I go to Garda where I had my IRP/GNIB application?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Stamp 6 for dual citizenship

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:09 pm

As far as I know, you send your passport off to ISD, they stamp it and send back.
https://www.irishimmigration.ie/my-situ ... tizenship/
If you have been naturalised as an Irish Citizen, you must provide the following original documents:

Your original certificate of naturalisation/Post Nuptial Citizenship (PNC) Certificate, or your current Irish passport

Your current passport.
There is no application form required for a Stamp 6 permission. Stamp 6 appointments held at the Burgh Quay Registration Office are currently suspended.

Stamp 6 applications can be sent by post to the following address:

Unit 3 – Residence Division
4th Floor
Immigration Service Delivery
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2 D02 XK70
Ireland
But take into account it's, basically, useless, as if you have only Stamp 6 and a non-Irish passport and try to go to Ireland, airlines will not let you onto the plane; they wouldn't trust a simple rubber stamp (see post2090027.html#p2090027 for example).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm

meself2 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:09 pm
As far as I know, you send your passport off to ISD, they stamp it and send back.
But take into account it's, basically, useless, as if you have only Stamp 6 and a non-Irish passport and try to go to Ireland, airlines will not let you onto the plane; they wouldn't trust a simple rubber stamp (see post2090027.html#p2090027 for example).
It is required for the registration with my original nationality country, that I have permission to remain permanently in Ireland.

I hope it is quick turn around for stamp 6. I have travel on 27th of February.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:24 pm

Stanina wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm
Should be quick enough, as all the decisions are made, you're already a citizen; all they need is to stamp it and send back. See post linked above - seemed to take less than a month.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

dballing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by dballing » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:55 am

Stanina wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:20 pm
meself2 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:09 pm
It is required for the registration with my original nationality country, that I have permission to remain permanently in Ireland.

Can you say more about this requirement by your home country? I'm trying to understand why (say) as a US dual-citizen I would ever bother with a Stamp 6, and maybe knowing the cases where it is needed would be helpful. :-)

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:03 pm

Some countries require their citizens to always use their country’s passport to enter and exit the country, and some have requirements to check that the person has a valid permission to enter the destination country.

For example, if you are a US-Irish dual citizen and you are flying from the US to Ireland by Ryanair (just an example), the US authorities require you to use the US passport to board the flight, and Ryanair will want to visa-check you. Having a valid permission stamp is much better than having none.

dballing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by dballing » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:50 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:03 pm
Some countries require their citizens to always use their country’s passport to enter and exit the country, and some have requirements to check that the person has a valid permission to enter the destination country.

For example, if you are a US-Irish dual citizen and you are flying from the US to Ireland by Ryanair (just an example), the US authorities require you to use the US passport to board the flight, and Ryanair will want to visa-check you. Having a valid permission stamp is much better than having none.
You don't need an entry visa for a US passport holder to enter Ireland, so wouldn't it just be a matter of giving the airline the US passport info (because you're required to) and then presenting the IE passport at Irish border control?

I could see it for countries with visa-required requirements for entry, but not for the US.

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:40 am

dballing wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:55 am
Can you say more about this requirement by your home country? I'm trying to understand why (say) as a US dual-citizen I would ever bother with a Stamp 6, and maybe knowing the cases where it is needed would be helpful. :-)
It is required for permanent residence in Ireland for my country, it will allow me to go for elections. This stamp in my passport will be my legal ground for me to remain in Ireland and register with consulate.

dballing
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by dballing » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:20 pm

Stanina wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:40 am
dballing wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:55 am
It is required for permanent residence in Ireland for my country, it will allow me to go for elections. This stamp in my passport will be my legal ground for me to remain in Ireland and register with consulate.
So your country uses the Irish Stamp 6 as a signal that "even though this person isn't living here, it's because they're a dual-national, so let them vote in local elections still"?

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:42 am

dballing wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:20 pm
So your country uses the Irish Stamp 6 as a signal that "even though this person isn't living here, it's because they're a dual-national, so let them vote in local elections still"?
Not local elections but on Parliament and President elections.

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:42 am

Wanted to provide update that it took 13 days to get both passport with the stamp 6 back.

NF13
Ireland

Post by NF13 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:15 pm

Hi,

Can I apply for the stamp at the embassy abroad?

Thanks