ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for dependants

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dukeh10
Newly Registered
India

British Citizenship for dependants

Post by dukeh10 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:22 pm

Hi,

I have few questions on UK citizenship application for dependents.

1. My wife is eligible for ILR via 10 year route. Can she apply for citizenship as soon as she get the ILR as I will be a UK citizen by then? Or does she need to wait for 1 year after getting ILR?

2. My daughter (born outside UK) is also eligible for ILR along with my wife. Does she need to apply for ILR first and then citizenship? And if so does she need to wait for a year after receiving ILR to get citizenship?

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship for dependants

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:29 pm

dukeh10 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:22 pm
Hi,

I have few questions on UK citizenship application for dependents. Note there's no dependent concept in naturalisation, each individual applicant has to meet all requirements.

1. My wife is eligible for ILR via 10 year route. Can she apply for citizenship as soon as she get the ILR as I will be a UK citizen by then? Yes, if you are British by then Or does she need to wait for 1 year after getting ILR? No.

2. My daughter (born outside UK) is also eligible for ILR along with my wife. Does she need to apply for ILR first and then citizenship? And if so does she need to wait for a year after receiving ILR to get citizenship? Children born outside the UK are expected to hold ILR before naturalisation. There's no waiting period for children. Note children are registered as British, form MN1.

Thanks.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dukeh10
Newly Registered
India

Post by dukeh10 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:34 pm

Thank you very much :)

dukeh10
Newly Registered
India

Post by dukeh10 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm

Hello,

I have one more question.

Can my child apply for MN1 without an ILR as she is a UK resident for more than 10 years?
Does this below rule apply?
Registration at the Home Secretary’s discretion – Section 3(1) application
There are some situations where we will normally register a child, which are set out below.

Children who have lived in the UK for more than 10 years
Children will come within this category if:
• the child is in the UK lawfully
• the parents are in the UK lawfully
• both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are provided)
• there is no reason to refuse on character grounds.

dukeh10
Newly Registered
India

Post by dukeh10 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:20 pm

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this question?

Thanks.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:15 pm

dukeh10 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:35 pm
Can my child apply for MN1 without an ILR as she is a UK resident for more than 10 years?
It should be possible.

This is a relatively recent change to the requirements, so you may be one of the first to test it.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.