ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Card about to expire

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hamster123
Newly Registered

ILR - Card about to expire

Post by Hamster123 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:38 am

Dear all,

I have the following (hopefully small) question. It would be very much appreciated if someone knew how to proceed:

Our (family) situation:
  • Me and my family have Indefinite leave to remain.
  • We had it for nearly 10 years now.
  • As such, the cards are about to expire in about 6 months.
My individual situation:
  • I have been working in Germany for about 6 years now:
  • I have been returning to the UK every 3-4 months throughout this time.
    (There never has been any issue when reentering.)
  • I still pay some bills in the UK, so I hope that I can still claim residence.
My questions:
  1. When should I apply for an extension?
    • I.e., can I already do it now?
    • Do I have to wait until less than 3 months remains?
    • Can I wait until only 1 month remains?
  2. Do I have to apply to renew the visa or just the card?
  3. How long will it (approximately) take?
  4. Do I have to proof residency again and if so, will utility bills etc. be sufficient, since I have been /am working abroad?
  5. (Anything else important that I have missed, if anyone has something to advise).
Part of the reason I am asking is that due to professional reasons, it will be very hard (nearly impossible) for me to return to the UK between May and July. So I was wondering if I should start now or later.

Thanks everyone in advance. If there are relevant questions that I forgot to address, please let me know.

Cheers.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR - Card about to expire

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:47 am

BRP Renewals (which will only be valid till 31st December 2024 as they are being phased out) can take up to 6 months. It is the card that is renewed if you have maintained ILR status.

You need to be resident and settled in the UK to renew (cannot be done from abroad) and prove your residence. Having been absent from the UK for a long time, short visits do not necessarily retain your ILR status, you risk intense scrutiny of your renewal. UKVI have full access to your travel in and out of the UK so they will know you are not resident.

You were advised of all of this in 2015.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/will-i-loose ... 86249.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Hamster123
Newly Registered

Post by Hamster123 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:55 am

Thank you for your answer.

I am a little unsure, I appologise:
BRP Renewals (which will only be valid till 31st December 2024 as they are being phased out) can take up to 6 months. It is the card that is renewed if you have maintained ILR status.
I believe that I have maintained the ILR status, in that, noone has disputed it and I still have my card etc. So, in order to renew the card, I have to look for a "BRP Renewal"?

Thank you for your advise.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:31 pm

Hamster123 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:55 am
Thank you for your answer.

I am a little unsure, I appologise:
I believe that I have maintained the ILR status, in that, noone has disputed it and I still have my card etc. So, in order to renew the card, I have to look for a "BRP Renewal"?

Thank you for your advise.
Not so much of what you believe but what records HO has and what you have proof of.

Hamster123
Newly Registered

Post by Hamster123 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:31 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:31 pm
Not so much of what you believe but what records HO has and what you have proof of.
Well, of course, but surely if my status was changed they should somehow notify me? (Boarder guard should mention it, send me a letter etc.)