ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR M / Spouse Visa First Extension Queries

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jrp777
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

FLR M / Spouse Visa First Extension Queries

Post by jrp777 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:51 pm

Hi,

My wife is due to apply for her spouse visa extension shortly, as her current visa expires at the end of April. I had a question regarding the timing of when she needs to submit the application.

I've seen advice saying that we should delay applying for the visa renewal so that the 2 No. 30 month visas cover the 5 year qualifying period.

If we were to apply/pay for the new visa application on the last day of her visa, this would only (in theory) just cover the 5 year period, assuming she receives and completes her renewal visa. Can her time spent waiting for the visa renewal to be confirmed (section 3C leave) be considered as part of the five year qualifying period?

bathanza
United Kingdom

Re: FLR M / Spouse Visa First Extension Queries

Post by bathanza » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:25 pm

You should aim to apply within 28 days of expiry. Would never recommend leaving it to last minute!

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:49 am

jrp777 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:51 pm
Hi,

My wife is due to apply for her spouse visa extension shortly, as her current visa expires at the end of April. I had a question regarding the timing of when she needs to submit the application. When was the initial spouse visa issued and when did she enter UK?

I've seen advice saying that we should delay applying for the visa renewal so that the 2 No. 30 month visas cover the 5 year qualifying period.

If we were to apply/pay for the new visa application on the last day of her visa, this would only (in theory) just cover the 5 year period, assuming she receives and completes her renewal visa. Can her time spent waiting for the visa renewal to be confirmed (section 3C leave) be considered as part of the five year qualifying period?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:09 am

jrp777 wrote:
Hi,

My wife is due to apply for her spouse visa extension shortly, as her current visa expires at the end of April. I had a question regarding the timing of when she needs to submit the application.

Apply 2 weeks to visa expiration. Use standard service. Visa probably wouldn't come out until over 6 weeks. This in turn would create an extant leave for the time she'd qualify for ILR.

Like the other user said, last minute isn't always a wise idea. :!:
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

jrp777
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jrp777 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:23 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:49 am
jrp777 wrote:
Hi,

My wife is due to apply for her spouse visa extension shortly, as her current visa expires at the end of April. I had a question regarding the timing of when she needs to submit the application. When was the initial spouse visa issued and when did she enter UK?

She entered the UK on 21/01/2020 on a fiance visa. Her spouse visa was issued on 29/10/2020. The delay past the normal 6 month duration was due to delays associtaed with COVID; We were unable to get married until the start of July that year.