ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JPrism
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JPrism » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:14 am

Hello Everyone!
An unexpected update!

Application submitted online: 05/05/2022
Documents received: 23/05/2022
Confirmation of address email: 25/02/2023
Congrats email: Pending
Cert. received: Pending

I didn't check my emails unti now so hadn't realised they had sent me the address check email. I answered as soon as possible but I got a out of office autoreply.

I hope thats enough or should I reply to the email again on Monday?

smbschrader
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by smbschrader » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:04 am

Hello Coachman,

I was registered in the book of Foreign Births before my two children were born, so they are eligible for FBR through me, their mother, as an Irish citizen at the time of their births. Now that they have Irish citizenship through FBR, I believe that any children born to them in the future would also be eligible to apply for FBR.

Some of my brothers and sisters never got around to applying for FBR before they had children, and as a result their children are not eligible for Irish citizenship through FBR. It's just one of those things that you don't realize until you start looking into it. I don't know how Naturalization works, only FBR.

BTW, my certificate of entry in the book of Foreign Births, which I received ages ago from the Irish Consulate in San Francisco, looks nothing like the modern FBR certificates. My children's are in color with fancy watermarks. Mine is a half-sheet, simple typed form with no graphics at all. No photograph, either.

I think Ireland is very generous to let the chain of eligibility extend through the generations in this way. My third country of citizenship, Canada, limits Canadian citizenship through descent to their first generation born outside of Canada. Therefore, my children are ineligible for Canadian citizenship through me, even though I had triple citizenship in USA/Canada/Ireland before they were born.
Coachman wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:25 pm
smbschrader wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:49 am
Final update to the timeline for my two children, who sent their documents together in one envelope accompanied by my original FBR, birth certificate, and marriage certificate:

Application submitted online: 04 Jan 2022
Docs received email: 27 Jan 2022
Request to confirm address: 13 Jan 2023
Confirmation of entry to FBR: 13 Feb 2023
Certificate received: 22 Feb 2023

It took 9 days for the certificates and documents to reach Washington state, USA. I'm not sure if that is good, bad, or par for the course. Also, the mail carrier didn't knock or ring. He just left the envelopes in our mailbox with all the other mail. I thought registered mail would require a signature upon delivery?
Greetings and Congratulations!

Unfortunately, my children were born prior to my journey to get an FBR via my Grandfather. I should be hearing about my status in the next few months. From what I read, my children don't seem to qualify under the FBR as I did. Did your children go through the Naturalization route via Irish Association or was it FBR since you had yours when they applied? Since yours was a success, I'm hoping you can share how they did it. I'm hoping to help my kids w guidance. The FBR is far easier than Naturalization.

Thank you!

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Coachman » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:38 pm

smbschrader wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:04 am
Hello Coachman,

I was registered in the book of Foreign Births before my two children were born, so they are eligible for FBR through me, their mother, as an Irish citizen at the time of their births. Now that they have Irish citizenship through FBR, I believe that any children born to them in the future would also be eligible to apply for FBR.

Some of my brothers and sisters never got around to applying for FBR before they had children, and as a result their children are not eligible for Irish citizenship through FBR. It's just one of those things that you don't realize until you start looking into it. I don't know how Naturalization works, only FBR.

BTW, my certificate of entry in the book of Foreign Births, which I received ages ago from the Irish Consulate in San Francisco, looks nothing like the modern FBR certificates. My children's are in color with fancy watermarks. Mine is a half-sheet, simple typed form with no graphics at all. No photograph, either.

I think Ireland is very generous to let the chain of eligibility extend through the generations in this way. My third country of citizenship, Canada, limits Canadian citizenship through descent to their first generation born outside of Canada. Therefore, my children are ineligible for Canadian citizenship through me, even though I had triple citizenship in USA/Canada/Ireland before they were born.
Coachman wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:25 pm
smbschrader wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:49 am
Final update to the timeline for my two children, who sent their documents together in one envelope accompanied by my original FBR, birth certificate, and marriage certificate:

Application submitted online: 04 Jan 2022
Docs received email: 27 Jan 2022
Request to confirm address: 13 Jan 2023
Confirmation of entry to FBR: 13 Feb 2023
Certificate received: 22 Feb 2023

It took 9 days for the certificates and documents to reach Washington state, USA. I'm not sure if that is good, bad, or par for the course. Also, the mail carrier didn't knock or ring. He just left the envelopes in our mailbox with all the other mail. I thought registered mail would require a signature upon delivery?
Greetings and Congratulations!

Unfortunately, my children were born prior to my journey to get an FBR via my Grandfather. I should be hearing about my status in the next few months. From what I read, my children don't seem to qualify under the FBR as I did. Did your children go through the Naturalization route via Irish Association or was it FBR since you had yours when they applied? Since yours was a success, I'm hoping you can share how they did it. I'm hoping to help my kids w guidance. The FBR is far easier than Naturalization.

Thank you!
Thank you kindly! That helps tremendously.

MrMister2022
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MrMister2022 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:12 pm

JPrism wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:14 am
Hello Everyone!
An unexpected update!

I didn't check my emails unti now so hadn't realised they had sent me the address check email. I answered as soon as possible but I got a out of office autoreply.

That's only nine months between documents submitted and the address confirmation check! How exciting! My documents were received just a couple weeks after yours, so fingers crossed I'll hear something soon too.

djx138
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by djx138 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:52 am

JPrism wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:14 am
Hello Everyone!
An unexpected update!

Excellent news!! My documents were received 07/06/2022, so am crossing everything they keep up with their speed!

Wish I’d sent them sooner.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 am

Does the congrats email not come with a tracking number anymore? It says it’s been posted to me on the email and I recall in the last people talking about getting a tracking number.

sloanb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by sloanb » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:37 pm

Valo wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:30 am
Does the congrats email not come with a tracking number anymore? It says it’s been posted to me on the email and I recall in the last people talking about getting a tracking number.
The congrats email told me the certificate had been posted too, but there was no mention of a tracking number, although like you I have seen people mention them on here. The certificate and documents turned up, and with a tracking number on the envelope :lol: ten days later.

I'm in the UK.

Kietan1997
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Kietan1997 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am

Hello my names Kietan, I applied for the fbr in October 2021. I heard back from a lady about two months ago saying I need a different death certificate for my grandmother. We emailed back and forth and I got the death certificate and mailed it to her. She said she would let me know when she received it. That was over two months ago and I’ve sent three emails since asking if she’s received it and gotten no reply. I’ve looked online for another contact and can’t seem to find anyone. Does anyone have a contact for me? Or do you guys think that’s normal for that to happen and not get a response? When she first emailed me she responded within a day. So I’m thinking maybe something happened to her or maybe she stopped working there I don’t know. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:02 am

Not strictly FBR related but might be of interest to UK-based FBR applicants as many go on to immediately apply for a passport due to Brexit.

In a previous post I detailed the hassle I had to get my passport application in the post. Other members have also mentioned similar difficulties. I'm pleased to say that my documents have arrived safely at the DFA and are being processed. They spent a week in transit and there were no updates on the Royal Mail tracking page till the package arrived in Dublin. See my other post for all the gory details but essentially I bought the postage online (including customs declaration) and dropped the letter off at my local post office. Hope this helps.

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:31 am

A bit of good good news for me today, just received my email address check. So in line with JPrism who applied in may 2022 and received an address check on the weekend, things do seem to be moving along a lot more quickly recently.

Application submitted online: 13/05/2022
Documents received: 02/06/2022
Confirmation of address email 01/03/2022
The rest pending…

Here’s hoping the rest of the process moves along at a good pace and good luck to everyone else

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:47 am

Rxp2023 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:31 am
A bit of good good news for me today, just received my email address check. So in line with JPrism who applied in may 2022 and received an address check on the weekend, things do seem to be moving along a lot more quickly recently.

Application submitted online: 13/05/2022
Documents received: 02/06/2022
Confirmation of address email 01/03/2022
The rest pending…

Here’s hoping the rest of the process moves along at a good pace and good luck to everyone else
Confirmation of email address: 01/03/2023

misscat2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by misscat2 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:44 pm

I've been a bit of a lurker here since I found it and I wanted to say its been great reading it and I have learnt loads. I wish I had found it before I applied but I have been watching with interest especially as people were being progressed through the process.

My progress is below

Applied 05/05/2022
documents received 25/05/2022
Address confirmation 28/02/2023

So now I'm just waiting for the next steps but I do have a question - have they turned down any/many following the address confirmation or is it likely to progress now? I know the email says its not confirmation and things could change but I wondered in general do they turn people down before or after the address confirmation?

misscat2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by misscat2 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:44 pm

I've been a bit of a lurker here since I found it and I wanted to say its been great reading it and I have learnt loads. I wish I had found it before I applied but I have been watching with interest especially as people were being progressed through the process.

My progress is below

Applied 05/05/2022
documents received 25/05/2022
Address confirmation 28/02/2023

So now I'm just waiting for the next steps but I do have a question - have they turned down any/many following the address confirmation or is it likely to progress now? I know the email says its not confirmation and things could change but I wondered in general do they turn people down before or after the address confirmation?

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:07 pm

I've noticed lots of address confirmations for applications received in April, May and now June.
Not many for March... when mine was received. Why do I feel like the March pile is with someone on a long holiday?

makman
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by makman » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:53 pm

My application process for my son was a bit troubled.
I applied in July 2020.
The embassy said they would evaluate it themselves.
Then they announced that the system had changed and that an official who would go to Ireland would deliver it by hand, so I did not receive an e-mail that we received it.
After that
I did not receive any mail traffic until mid-2022.
They asked again for some documents that I sent but they said they did not have them. I also sent these documents again.
After a few months, it was said that they did not have English and some documents were not suitable, and on the same day it was said that these documents were suitable but they did not have English.
However, the English of these documents were on the back of the documents, I think the person who scanned and sent them to the relevant person did not scan the back of them. I adjusted their English and sent them.
I received the mail for address confirmation on 16 01 2023.
Now I am waiting for their return,
In this way, the process has been going on for 32 months for me.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:30 am

Well! I received my FBR certificate in the post yesterday!

Journey over. All sent away again for the passport applications. Best of luck everyone!

AlexBrecks
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by AlexBrecks » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:43 am

Kietan1997 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am
Hello my names Kietan, I applied for the fbr in October 2021. I heard back from a lady about two months ago saying I need a different death certificate for my grandmother. We emailed back and forth and I got the death certificate and mailed it to her. She said she would let me know when she received it. That was over two months ago and I’ve sent three emails since asking if she’s received it and gotten no reply. I’ve looked online for another contact and can’t seem to find anyone. Does anyone have a contact for me? Or do you guys think that’s normal for that to happen and not get a response? When she first emailed me she responded within a day. So I’m thinking maybe something happened to her or maybe she stopped working there I don’t know. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hi - in a similar position. Needed a different birth certificate for grandparent. I sent with tracking and have confirmation it was received by FBR office in December. Have heard nothing since. Not sure if that's good/bad/normal, but may be reassuring to know somebody else is in a similar situation!

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:57 am

Had another update today and I can’t quite believe it. I received my address check yesterday and congratulations email today! Pretty ecstatic with that, estimated wait time of 4-6 weeks for certificate. Hope everyone experiencing issues of longer wait times get some resolution ASAP

Online application: 13/05/22
Documents received: 02/06/22
Email address check: 01/03/23
Congratulations email: 02/03/23
Certificate pending

binky62
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by binky62 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:11 am

Rxp2023 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:57 am
Had another update today and I can’t quite believe it. I received my address check yesterday and congratulations email today! Pretty ecstatic with that, estimated wait time of 4-6 weeks for certificate. Hope everyone experiencing issues of longer wait times get some resolution ASAP

Certificate pending
Congratulations!

Has anyone else had the congratulations email the day after the address check? This is quite odd. It seems that most people are having to wait for a month to see if they have made it onto the FBR.

JIMMY27
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by JIMMY27 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:20 am

Rxp2023 wrote:

Certificate pending
My documents were received the same day as yours. Hopefully mine will come any day now. I've seen quite a few cases of people receiving their congratulations email on the same day or day after the address check.

danielg003
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Documents Received email

Post by danielg003 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:15 pm

I applied and sent in my documents back in October and received this email. I just wanted to double check that this is what you all are considering the documents received email because it doesn't directly say that in the email.

email:
"
Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received.

Information in relation to current processing timelines can be found on our webpage www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/regi ... ign-birth/

Please do not reply to this email as it is auto-generated.
"

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:26 pm

JIMMY27 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:20 am
Rxp2023 wrote:

Certificate pending
My documents were received the same day as yours. Hopefully mine will come any day now. I've seen quite a few cases of people receiving their congratulations email on the same day or day after the address check.
Yes, hopefully. I was the same after seeing someone who applied a week before me had gotten their address check.

Yes I’ve seen that now too after scrolling back a couple of months on here

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Re: Documents Received email

Post by Rxp2023 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:28 pm

danielg003 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:15 pm
I applied and sent in my documents back in October and received this email. I just wanted to double check that this is what you all are considering the documents received email because it doesn't directly say that in the email.

email:
"
Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received.

Information in relation to current processing timelines can be found on our webpage www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/regi ... ign-birth/

"
Yes that’s what I considered this email to mean

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Documents Received email

Post by Coachman » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:53 pm

danielg003 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:15 pm

email:
"

"
Yes! This is the documents received email. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

Kietan1997
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Kietan1997 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:25 am

AlexBrecks wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:43 am
Kietan1997 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am
Hi - in a similar position. Needed a different birth certificate for grandparent. I sent with tracking and have confirmation it was received by FBR office in December. Have heard nothing since. Not sure if that's good/bad/normal, but may be reassuring to know somebody else is in a similar situation!
Hey Alex, interesting. Have you tried contacting them at all? Mine didn’t offer tracking as it was letter mail so I’m just sitting not knowing if it got lost or received. I can’t seem to find an email other than the contact I have who hasn’t responded to me. I recall a year ago people talking about a live chat function, but I can’t seem to find that either. The waiting doesn’t bother me as I expected to wait 2+ years but the not knowing if my documents were received definitely is bothersome lol