ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Number

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JJ61
Newly Registered

National Insurance Number

Post by JJ61 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi, I have recently got a right to stay in the UK and now I want to apply for NIN. I couldn’t get a NIN before because my ID was sent to HO. While waiting for the answer I’ve been working using my name and address but I made up a NIN so I could get a “legalâ€

republique
BANNED

Re: National Insurance Number

Post by republique » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:10 pm

[quote="JJ61"]Hi, I have recently got a right to stay in the UK and now I want to apply for NIN. I couldn’t get a NIN before because my ID was sent to HO. While waiting for the answer I’ve been working using my name and address but I made up a NIN so I could get a “legalâ€

JJ61
Newly Registered

Post by JJ61 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:30 pm

I wasn't legal at the time but HO knew about it. I would rather go to the interview with NIN officer than explain things to my employer. Do you think NIN people will make problems?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:37 pm

JJ61 wrote:I wasn't legal at the time but HO knew about it. I would rather go to the interview with NIN officer than explain things to my employer. Do you think NIN people will make problems?
don't know but your employer can be fined for letting you work for him.

JJ61
Newly Registered

Post by JJ61 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:39 pm

So, if my employer applies for a new NIN for me, he won't be fined?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:43 pm

JJ61 wrote:So, if my employer applies for a new NIN for me, he won't be fined?
it doesnt matter, whether he does it or not
if they figure it out and they can figure it out whether he files or you go to the NIN office
so just say that is what you thinking instead of making people try to figure out what the problem is

JJ61
Newly Registered

Post by JJ61 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Does anyone have any constructive comments? thanks

tundefaboye
Newly Registered

Post by tundefaboye » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Helloo,

What other constructive comment do you want? He has said the truth. You shouldnt have figured out any NIN yourself. Its fraudulent.
Just pray that the guy you meet at NIN interview wont take you up on that because your tax records and payslips carry your NIN
My advice, dont mention your workplace at the NIN interview. Just go with prospective job applications as required.
I had my interview without any job offer, just job applications and replies from prospective employers

JJ61
Newly Registered

Post by JJ61 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:10 pm

I didn't post a message here so people could judge me.

I know I shouldn’t have done this but sometimes not everything is as easy as it seems. I'm sure lots of people here understand that. I just wanted to know whether anyone knows what kind of consequences will follow, that’s it.

Thanks for you reply anyway.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:45 pm

JJ61 wrote:I didn't post a message here so people could judge me.

I know I shouldn’t have done this but sometimes not everything is as easy as it seems. I'm sure lots of people here understand that. I just wanted to know whether anyone knows what kind of consequences will follow, that’s it.

Thanks for you reply anyway.
Take responsibility for your actions.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Not one to defend abuses as you know.

He has committed a minor fraud along the way but no one is that interested as in a way he loses out. The past NI contribuations and tax have gone to UK plc and he will not be able to claim any credit for them. HMRC do very little if anything about receiving funds from bogus numbers so in a way we bring it upon our selves as UK plc.

It is not the employer that is responsible for getting a NINO, so the individual must apply on their own behalf.

See link

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... &cre=Money

I think I might becoming a litle soft :oops:

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:11 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:Not one to defend abuses as you know.

He has committed a minor fraud along the way but no one is that interested as in a way he loses out. ...

It is not the employer that is responsible for getting a NINO, so the individual must apply on their own behalf.

[/url]

I think I might becoming a litle soft :oops:
The employer is not responsible for getting it but the employer can get it for the employee if he wants.
Dont become soft please.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:17 pm

To a certain extent, the employer can apply but what it fact happens is they just send the employee the paperwork either directly or through the employer.

If the employee is a non EEA overseas national then without a doubt they will want to interview the individual, check the paperwork and check with UKBA etc. They have become a good deal wiser than before when they handed out NINO's like smarties.

hamid84
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by hamid84 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:53 pm

I know someone who was in the same situation as yours but ended up leaving job by making excuse.

It would not be good idea to tell your employer that you have done all that unless he is your best friend and can understand.