ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bring child to UK - not qualified as dependant

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

maxinelinda
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Bring child to UK - not qualified as dependant

Post by maxinelinda » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:53 am

Hello,

My husband is on ILR I am a UK citizen, we want to bring my 17 year old (turns 18 next February) step-daughter from Kenya to live and carry on her studies in the UK. We have been advised that it would be difficult to bring her as a dependant child as she lives with her mum, and although my husband does support financially, it would not be enough to class as dependant.

I am asking for any suggestions of any other route we could bring her here to live.

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Bring child to UK - not qualified as dependant

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:01 pm

For a settlement visa, he would have to prove sole responsibility, see link below. As the child lives with their mother, he doesn't have sole responsibilty.

immigration-for-family-members/sole-res ... 13087.html

Other visa routes would need to be explored, such as a student visa for example but note that to continue high school here, it is only an independent school that can sponsor these visas. Student visas also do not lead to ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.