ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LauHam
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by LauHam » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:39 am

Kietan1997 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:25 am
AlexBrecks wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:43 am
Kietan1997 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:40 am
Hello my names Kietan, I applied for the fbr in October 2021. I heard back from a lady about two months ago saying I need a different death certificate for my grandmother. We emailed back and forth and I got the death certificate and mailed it to her. She said she would let me know when she received it. That was over two months ago and I’ve sent three emails since asking if she’s received it and gotten no reply. I’ve looked online for another contact and can’t seem to find anyone. Does anyone have a contact for me? Or do you guys think that’s normal for that to happen and not get a response? When she first emailed me she responded within a day. So I’m thinking maybe something happened to her or maybe she stopped working there I don’t know. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hi - in a similar position. Needed a different birth certificate for grandparent. I sent with tracking and have confirmation it was received by FBR office in December. Have heard nothing since. Not sure if that's good/bad/normal, but may be reassuring to know somebody else is in a similar situation!
Hey Alex, interesting. Have you tried contacting them at all? Mine didn’t offer tracking as it was letter mail so I’m just sitting not knowing if it got lost or received. I can’t seem to find an email other than the contact I have who hasn’t responded to me. I recall a year ago people talking about a live chat function, but I can’t seem to find that either. The waiting doesn’t bother me as I expected to wait 2+ years but the not knowing if my documents were received definitely is bothersome lol
I’m in a similar situation, they asked for a copy of my mother’s birth certificate - which I am 100% sure I’d already sent. Anyway sent a replacement one month ago, no news from their side, except to say that there’s a backlog in scanning documents so there might be a delay. No news otherwise from FBR team on timeline from now. Hope this helps.

TerrorBirdBlues
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by TerrorBirdBlues » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:09 pm

TerrorBirdBlues wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:01 pm
► Show Spoiler
Hello all,

Just an update on this. In the end I really didn't want to risk sending it off and delaying my confirmation so I was able to speak to my Uncle (who I haven't spoken to for nearly 13 years!) and he was more than happy to give me the details I needed for all the marriage certificates. They were then ordered mid-Feb, application form paid and posted! I know that it's probably going to be a while but I'll keep updating here with the timeline for other people's benefit as this thread has been a big help for me so would like to give back in a small way.

Excited to be an EU Citizen again!

Application Based On: Irish born Grandparent
Applied Online Date: 28/02/23
Posted completed application tracked (but not signed): 02/03/23

djx138
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by djx138 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:45 pm

Confirmation of address email received today! Exciting times…

Application Date: 01/01/2021
Documents Received: 07/06/2022
Address Confirmation: 03/03/2023
Certificate Posted: TBC

Huge gap between application and sending documents for multiple reasons, like not knowing anyone with a required profession and getting documents from family members (begrudgingly (wasn’t aware I could have simply applied for them myself - lesson learned)).

Legskinner
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Legskinner » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:08 pm

LauHam wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:39 am
Kietan1997 wrote:
AlexBrecks wrote:
Kietan1997 wrote:
Hello my names Kietan, I applied for the fbr in October 2021. I heard back from a lady about two months ago saying I need a different death certificate for my grandmother. We emailed back and forth and I got the death certificate and mailed it to her. She said she would let me know when she received it. That was over two months ago and I’ve sent three emails since asking if she’s received it and gotten no reply. I’ve looked online for another contact and can’t seem to find anyone. Does anyone have a contact for me? Or do you guys think that’s normal for that to happen and not get a response? When she first emailed me she responded within a day. So I’m thinking maybe something happened to her or maybe she stopped working there I don’t know. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hi - in a similar position. Needed a different birth certificate for grandparent. I sent with tracking and have confirmation it was received by FBR office in December. Have heard nothing since. Not sure if that's good/bad/normal, but may be reassuring to know somebody else is in a similar situation!
Hey Alex, interesting. Have you tried contacting them at all? Mine didn’t offer tracking as it was letter mail so I’m just sitting not knowing if it got lost or received. I can’t seem to find an email other than the contact I have who hasn’t responded to me. I recall a year ago people talking about a live chat function, but I can’t seem to find that either. The waiting doesn’t bother me as I expected to wait 2+ years but the not knowing if my documents were received definitely is bothersome lol
I’m in a similar situation, they asked for a copy of my mother’s birth certificate - which I am 100% sure I’d already sent. Anyway sent a replacement one month ago, no news from their side, except to say that there’s a backlog in scanning documents so there might be a delay. No news otherwise from FBR team on timeline from now. Hope this helps.
I received a request for additional documentation (Grandfathers original birth certificate) and sent it tracked mail which arrived in Balbriggan on January 6, 2023. I haven't heard a peep since. I sent two emails asking for an update with no response.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:05 pm

Legskinner wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:08 pm
LauHam wrote:
Kietan1997 wrote:
AlexBrecks wrote:
Kietan1997 wrote:
I received a request for additional documentation (Grandfathers original birth certificate) and sent it tracked mail which arrived in Balbriggan on January 6, 2023. I haven't heard a peep since. I sent two emails asking for an update with no response.
When all my paperwork was returned there was a memo/note which was added (accidentally i assume ) instructing the person that contacted me "do not respond to this email" when I emailed them (once) asking if they had received the additional document they requested. I don't know why they do this but they definitely ignore some of us until they see fit.

ReturningIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by ReturningIrish » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:09 am

Good news: I have received a request for updated photographs for my son's application. Hoping this means his application is being looked at and may be approved soon :D

Application Date: 11/04/2022
Documents Received: 05/05/2022
Request for photos: 22/02/2023
Photos received: Pending
Address Confirmation: Pending
Certificate Posted: Pending
Certificate Received: Pending

gaz0001
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gaz0001 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:37 am

Hi All,

My documents were received in Ireland

10/01/2023

I have not received any email to acknowledge they have received the documents which is making me nervous.
Does anyone have an email address or a contact method for the office?
Or better still, is there any online way to track it that was linked to the application?
I have called but they are not entertaining my phone call as it is not 'Urgent'.

Thanks

Kietan1997
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Kietan1997 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:37 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:05 pm
Legskinner wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:08 pm
LauHam wrote:
Kietan1997 wrote:
AlexBrecks wrote:
Kietan1997 wrote:
When all my paperwork was returned there was a memo/note which was added (accidentally i assume ) instructing the person that contacted me "do not respond to this email" when I emailed them (once) asking if they had received the additional document they requested. I don't know why they do this but they definitely ignore some of us until they see fit.
Seems odd, the lady I was in contact with told me she’d let me know as soon as she got it. Than nothing after my emails. Seems unprofessional too, especially if they are saying don’t respond to emails. Like why? Just tell us you received our documents so we don’t feel like we’re in limbo.

djx138
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by djx138 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:24 am

djx138 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:45 pm
Confirmation of address email received today! Exciting times…

Certificate Posted: TBC

Huge gap between application and sending documents for multiple reasons, like not knowing anyone with a required profession and getting documents from family members (begrudgingly (wasn’t aware I could have simply applied for them myself - lesson learned)).
An update:

Congratulations Email: 06/03/2023
Certificate Received: TBC

FBRLurker02
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by FBRLurker02 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 pm

(Old account username was FBRLurker, haven't logged into the site in a while and seem to be unable to get back into that account)

Application Date: 24 May 2022
Documents Received: 2 June 2022

No sign of address confirmation yet but beginning to get impatient haha, seeing people with the same docs received date or later getting address confirmation.

I'm worried I've overcomplicated mine, as my grandfather is estranged (I've never met him). I emailed the embassy in the UK prior to applying, included a copy of the email in which they suggested I apply anyway, as well as a cover letter and affidavit. In addition to this, I have email contact with my great-uncle (who is also estranged from my grandfather), so I included a printout of his passport to "compensate" but couldn't get it notarised as he lives in Northern Ireland (no way of me accessing the original). I also included divorce papers from my grandmother, but not the originals or notarised.

Of course, all the birth/marriage certificates are in order, as well as mine and my mother's notarised IDs. Can very much imagine it being on the pile but nobody at the FBR office wanting to look at it because it looks too complicated... in any case hopefully I hear something (good?) soon haha.

Thistle84
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Thistle84 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:46 am

Hi there, I seem to be in the same boat as some of you guys. I sent away for the Irish foreign births register on the 12/12/21 got first reply back on the 05/01/23 i needed to add some extra document which i sent back on the 21/01/23. I had a couple of helpful emails from a said person but trying to find information on whether they got my documents in the post or any updates has been not easy, which i had a contact email.

SunnyFlorida
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Foreign Birth Registration Was it received?

Post by SunnyFlorida » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:05 pm

Hello All,

I am not sure if I am posting this is correct area.

I sent off my Application for FBR June 17, 2022
I have not received any time of notification that my application and documents were received. Should I be worried?
I called 011 353 1 568 3331
They advised me to email fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie

I am concerned at this point, as this is very dear to my heart.
Please help.

Thank you,

SunnyFlorida :-)

Will2022
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Will2022 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:36 pm

Hey everyone, especially June 2022 documents sent/received people!

Just to confirm my documents were received on 9th June 2022 and I’m still waiting for address check, it’s been a long week of constantly refreshing emails but I’m sure we’ll get there very soon :)

LauHam
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LauHam » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:50 pm

FBRLurker02 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 pm
(Old account username was FBRLurker, haven't logged into the site in a while and seem to be unable to get back into that account)

No sign of address confirmation yet but beginning to get impatient haha, seeing people with the same docs received date or later getting address confirmation.

I'm worried I've overcomplicated mine, as my grandfather is estranged (I've never met him). I emailed the embassy in the UK prior to applying, included a copy of the email in which they suggested I apply anyway, as well as a cover letter and affidavit. In addition to this, I have email contact with my great-uncle (who is also estranged from my grandfather), so I included a printout of his passport to "compensate" but couldn't get it notarised as he lives in Northern Ireland (no way of me accessing the original). I also included divorce papers from my grandmother, but not the originals or notarised.

Of course, all the birth/marriage certificates are in order, as well as mine and my mother's notarised IDs. Can very much imagine it being on the pile but nobody at the FBR office wanting to look at it because it looks too complicated... in any case hopefully I hear something (good?) soon haha.
I think we're in a similar situation. Is the issue with you that you don't have a copy of his death certificate (if he's dead) or don't have a copy of his current ID?

My mum is estranged from her dad, but likely dead or he'd be a hundred and something now. Like you, they asked me to submit anyway. They contacted me saying they need a death certificate, and I replied saying I don't have one so what can I do? The officer said he will speak with his supervisor and get back to me... that's been about a month now.

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration Was it received?

Post by Rxp2023 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:10 pm

SunnyFlorida wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:05 pm
Hello All,

I am not sure if I am posting this is correct area.

I sent off my Application for FBR June 17, 2022
I have not received any time of notification that my application and documents were received. Should I be worried?
I called 011 353 1 568 3331
They advised me to email fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie

I am concerned at this point, as this is very dear to my heart.
Please help.

Thank you,

SunnyFlorida :-)
I would be a bit concerned if you never had a documents received email, which I believe everybody gets. This is what mine actuallly said:

‘ Your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has now been received.

Information in relation to current processing timelines can be found on our webpage www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/regi ... ign-birth/

So no specific mention of documents but it is the email I received in response to sending my documents.

I would contact them asap, to put your mind at rest and hopefully it was just an oversight, fingers crossed!

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:53 pm

FYI I received my initial Application confirmation email in my spam folder. Try doing a search for 'dfat.ie' and see if anything shows up. Good luck!

FBRLurker02
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by FBRLurker02 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:53 am

LauHam wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:50 pm
FBRLurker02 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:16 pm

I think we're in a similar situation. Is the issue with you that you don't have a copy of his death certificate (if he's dead) or don't have a copy of his current ID?

My mum is estranged from her dad, but likely dead or he'd be a hundred and something now. Like you, they asked me to submit anyway. They contacted me saying they need a death certificate, and I replied saying I don't have one so what can I do? The officer said he will speak with his supervisor and get back to me... that's been about a month now.
I don't have a copy of his current ID. Everything else should be in order. I hope you hear back soon, the wait is painful.

timeout1995
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by timeout1995 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am

Hi guys, i'm a citizen via FBR. In the process of applying for a passport, does anyone know if it's okay to use a mobile phone bill as proof of address?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:32 am

timeout1995 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am
Hi guys, i'm a citizen via FBR. In the process of applying for a passport, does anyone know if it's okay to use a mobile phone bill as proof of address?
Not sure, but I'd advise against it; think it wasn't accepted as proof of residency for INIS back in the day. DFA may have different view on this.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:09 pm

timeout1995 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:30 am
tl;dr yes?

I wasn’t 100% sure what counted for proof of name and address, so I put in more than I thought necessary
I used a mobile phone bill because others in the passport application thread said they had done so successfully.

I included a cover letter that listed each document I enclosed.
Cover letter looked like this:
Passport Service of Ireland
First Time Application A2
PO Box 13440
Balbriggan
Co. Dublin
Ireland

Re: Application number 800813542069

Having recently completed the Foreign Births Registry process, please find enclosed my application for my first Irish passport with supporting documentation. The following documents are presented for your review:
  • Cover page
  • Identity Verification Form, witnessed by [name] (profession)
  • Birth certificate (long form, raised seal)
  • US Passport (original) as government issued photo identification
For Proof of Name and Proof of Address
  • Water and Sewer Bill from Town, State
  • Real Estate Tax Bill from Town, State
  • Mobile Phone bill from [provider]
  • TV, Internet, and Phone bill from [provider]
Additional Documents
  • Foreign Birth Registration Certificate
  • US Passport (as above)

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:02 am

First time posting but long time lurking on this thread. Just thought I'd add my data here:

Application submitted online: 11/02/2020
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 12/10/2020
Confirmation of address email + Requesting additional documents: 11/11/2022
Congrats email: 02/22/2023
FBR certificate received: 03/04/2023

Woohoo! Appreciate this thread, I've been reading up on here for years checking the timelines and reading. Thanks to everyone who has posted their info, it was very helpful.

I just sent in my passport documents, I tried finding timelines before asking but spent a lot of time reading back many pages so I'll just ask...does anyone know the approximate timing for receiving your passport once they receive the documents?

Thanks!!

Runrig
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Runrig » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:23 am

Hummingbear

Congratulations!

Did you receive any communication at all between 11 November and 22 February? Or did it all go in to a black hole for almost 3.5 months?

Thanks

Peter
p.s. I'm in a similar position, having sent additional documents about a month ago

hummingbear wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:02 am
First time posting but long time lurking on this thread. Just thought I'd add my data here:

Application submitted online: 11/02/2020
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 12/10/2020
Confirmation of address email + Requesting additional documents: 11/11/2022
Congrats email: 02/22/2023
FBR certificate received: 03/04/2023
...snip...

morgendorffer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by morgendorffer » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 pm

morgendorffer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:09 pm
Hello.

I just joined to add my name to the list of people waiting the long wait.
I've been reading the updates on here for ages now.

I procrastinated and procrastinated with getting all the documents required for my application. I had started before COVID, but didn't submit my online application until January 2022 and didn't send off the documents until March 2022.

I'm a bit nervous about an elongated wait as I wasn't able to get hold of a photocopy of my mum's passport due to estrangement from that whole side of the family. Way back when I first started looking into doing this I called up asking if this would be a problem and was advised to submit an application with a simple covering letter explaining the circumstances. There seems to be conflicting opinions on whether that will be actually acceptable or not on here, but that's what I did anyway.

I'm eligible through both my grandparents on my mother's side. My grandad passed away before I was born, included all the necessary documents for him. My grandma is in the care of my mum, so was not able to get a copy of her passport (which is likely expired), but submitted the rest of her documents anyway as 'extra support' - not sure if that will help or not.

I guess I'll be hearing in March 2024 sometime. Sigh.

Online Application: January 17, 2022
Documents Received: March 21, 2022
Address Confirmation: ***
Congratulations Email: ***
FBR cert received: ***
So, seeing all the updates for applications received in April/May/June made me a little impatient so I decided to email the urgent enquiries inbox to see where they were with my application... just to see if I would get a reply with an update.
A lady called me today saying they've been trying to contact me via phone/email. No missed calls, no email. Hmm. She was pretty adamant.

Anyways, they weren't happy with my own letter to say I couldn't get hold of my mum's photo ID so they want me to organise an affidavit which I'm happy to do.

Progress at least for now.

JohnL
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JohnL » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:25 pm

JohnL wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:47 am
:D
JohnL wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:09 pm
Address confirmation email received this morning! I'm amazed - things have really sped up. I am now cautiously optimistic.

Congratulations to everyone moving forward and thanks to those posting here with details and info - I have scoured and read these updates every day since I applied. Grateful to this forum and its members.

Applied Online Date: 20/06/21
Application received Date: 29/03/22 (Docs weren't mailed to DFA until 20/03/22)
Acknowledgement Date: 08/04/22
Address Confirmation email: 16/02/23
Second Letter: Pending
Approval: Pending
I am gobsmacked! Right about an hour after I got my address check email this morning and answered back to confirm there was no change, I got an email back saying that my application has been approved and that my documents and certificate will be sent by registered post. Following that was a tracking number and confirmation that this is currently taking a number of weeks.

Grateful to my ancestors and relatives for the blessing of my culture and heritage. I can't believe I'm actually writing this post! Shed a few tears today.

Approval: 16/02/23
Docs and FBR cert received: pending
Just updating this so others know about a slightly different order of communications that you might encounter.

I got my "Address confirmation" form email 16/02/23. An hour after I replied to that email, I got an email back from an individual at DFA saying that "my application has been approved and that my name had been added to the Foreign Births Register, and that my documents and certificate would be sent by registered post. Following that was a tracking number and confirmation that this is "currently taking a number of weeks."

This morning 9/03/23, I got the official FBR approval email, that says the "certificate has been printed and posted", with a link to passport online. There was no tracking number. I checked the tracking number I received in the email on 16/02/23 and it's not showing in the system yet.

So my updated timeline (given the personal confirmation I received the same day I confirmed my address is:

Notice of approval email: 16/02/23
Approval and confirmation of certificate posted: 9/03/23
Docs and FBR cert received: pending

Looking forward to applying for a passport as soon as my FBR cert is received and posting backup docs to Ireland. I'm visiting relatives in Ireland and England in May and to think I may very well have my Irish passport in hand when I land in Dublin is absolutely heartwarming. Go raibh maith agat, Eire!

FBRLurker02
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by FBRLurker02 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:26 pm

morgendorffer wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:11 pm
morgendorffer wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:09 pm
Hello.

I just joined to add my name to the list of people waiting the long wait.
I've been reading the updates on here for ages now.

I procrastinated and procrastinated with getting all the documents required for my application. I had started before COVID, but didn't submit my online application until January 2022 and didn't send off the documents until March 2022.

I'm a bit nervous about an elongated wait as I wasn't able to get hold of a photocopy of my mum's passport due to estrangement from that whole side of the family. Way back when I first started looking into doing this I called up asking if this would be a problem and was advised to submit an application with a simple covering letter explaining the circumstances. There seems to be conflicting opinions on whether that will be actually acceptable or not on here, but that's what I did anyway.

I'm eligible through both my grandparents on my mother's side. My grandad passed away before I was born, included all the necessary documents for him. My grandma is in the care of my mum, so was not able to get a copy of her passport (which is likely expired), but submitted the rest of her documents anyway as 'extra support' - not sure if that will help or not.

I guess I'll be hearing in March 2024 sometime. Sigh.

Online Application: January 17, 2022
Documents Received: March 21, 2022
Address Confirmation: ***
Congratulations Email: ***
FBR cert received: ***
So, seeing all the updates for applications received in April/May/June made me a little impatient so I decided to email the urgent enquiries inbox to see where they were with my application... just to see if I would get a reply with an update.
A lady called me today saying they've been trying to contact me via phone/email. No missed calls, no email. Hmm. She was pretty adamant.

Anyways, they weren't happy with my own letter to say I couldn't get hold of my mum's photo ID so they want me to organise an affidavit which I'm happy to do.

Progress at least for now.
Hope it goes well! I'm getting very anxious/impatient over my own application for similar reasons, couldn't get a hold of my grandfather's photo ID due to estrangement. I tried to compensate (divorce papers and great-uncle's ID) but wasn't able to notarise them either for various reasons so I'm hoping the affidavit will be enough. Everything else should be in order. Docs were received June 2nd 2022 and I've seen quite a few later than that get address confirmation now so the silence is deafening haha.