ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need help on Naturalisation/ Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cool_ire
Newly Registered

Need help on Naturalisation/ Citizenship

Post by cool_ire » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:28 pm

Hello,

I applied for my Irish Naturalisation/ Citizenship in Oct 2007 after completing my 5 years stay on Work Visa. I am working for a Consulting company in Dublin and as a part of my job I have to travel on deputation to another country in Jan 2009 for a period of 6-9 months. I own a house here in Dublin. This deputation is temporary and I will be back after 6 months (The company says 6-9 months, it may be more). I will be paid salary in the deputed country and not in Ireland for the period of my deputation. I would like to know if this will have an impact on my citizenship processing? Assuming that it is taking around 28-30 months to process the application, my application will be looked at say around apr-may 2010 if I am back by then I hope I can produce if the Dept. is looking for any further documentation and if I am still in Deputation I dont know how will it be delt? Any suggestions or information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
AK

vhelix
Newly Registered

Post by vhelix » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:57 pm

As far as you pay irish tax there will be no issues.

Heybabyy

Post by Heybabyy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:49 pm

I wouldn't go at all if I was in your place. Deputation to other country means that they pay full salary here and pay daily allowance + accomodation in deputed country. If they change your base i.e. paying you salary in deputed country by moving your base of employment, then it is a PERMANENT TRANSFER. They might be sending you to this deputed location for cheaper cost to project/company etc.

It doesn't matter if you have a house here or not. As per naturalistion application, you must have the intent to live here forever. You must continue to work and PAY TAXES in Ireland till your application is under processing. In simple words, if you go, you are f***ed.Better wait for your red book then go anywhere you want. Tell your company the same.

If you don't mind to tell, is this deputed country within EU or India. That may also make difference.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Need help on Naturalisation/ Citizenship

Post by mktsoi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:45 am

cool_ire wrote:Hello,

I applied for my Irish Naturalisation/ Citizenship in Oct 2007 after completing my 5 years stay on Work Visa. I am working for a Consulting company in Dublin and as a part of my job I have to travel on deputation to another country in Jan 2009 for a period of 6-9 months. I own a house here in Dublin. This deputation is temporary and I will be back after 6 months (The company says 6-9 months, it may be more). I will be paid salary in the deputed country and not in Ireland for the period of my deputation. I would like to know if this will have an impact on my citizenship processing? Assuming that it is taking around 28-30 months to process the application, my application will be looked at say around apr-may 2010 if I am back by then I hope I can produce if the Dept. is looking for any further documentation and if I am still in Deputation I dont know how will it be delt? Any suggestions or information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
AK
if I were you, check with migrant right center in dublin, dept of Enteprise and dept of justice about your option. If the company is registered in Ireland, even they sent you to somewhere to work outside ireland. in theory, you should be ok, but dont sign anything until you get something in writing from DOJ about the immigration status!!!!

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:30 am

If you went to the other country, make sure you have the residency permit covering the whole period.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:02 am

I would also echo the same comments as expressed by the others above;

You are okay if:
1. you are paying tax here, and you can show the payslips etc that prove this.
2. you have GNIB card/workvisa/LTR to cover the entire period while you are away.

note that there is something called "reckonable residence" period which is taken into consideration. While this is strictly for the time BEFORE the citizenship application was made, there is nothing stopping the government from applying this to the period AFTER the application was made and before the citizenship was granted...better play it safe with this guys!!

cnu

Post by cnu » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:52 pm

As a starter...why dont you make a deal with your company to pay bit of money over here for tax purposes?

cool_ire
Newly Registered

Post by cool_ire » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:49 pm

Hello,

Thank you for all your replies.

I checked with my employer and they say that if I want a part of my salary to be paid in Ireland they can do that and pay me the allowance in the deputed country (US). And I have LTR here in Ireland. So kindly let me know if say a part of my salary (For instant min pay of 1500 pm) is paid in Ireland which will show that I am getting paid here and also I will be paying my tax on 1500 here? will it help?Do I need to inform DOJ before going or not? or at the time when they ask me to furnish extra docs do I need to let them know that I was in deputation for some period and was getting paid in Ireland?

Thanks in Advance.
AK

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:04 am

That's good news for you OP. That's a good deal.
Make sure you are able to show continue flow of fund during in your bank statement and pay slip when it is required.

You only need to inform DoJ in this following situation
1. You have changed address. This is to make sure they still can communicate with you. If you have a house here and there is a person can forward the mail from DoJ, then you will be fine.
2. Your status has changed e.g you get married to EU citizen.

Just keep it simple.
Also you can be paid subsistance, like you said allownce. This is paid to employee when working away from their base. This is tax free.

Heybabyy

Post by Heybabyy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:39 pm

There is a postal service from Anpost by which you can redirect post from your current house to overseas location. Not entirely sure but do check their website for details.