ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born abroad to two British Citizens

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kankerot
United Kingdom

Child born abroad to two British Citizens

Post by kankerot » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:16 pm

On behalf of brother.

Is the child born abroad to two British parents automatically a British Citizen? Both parents are British by birth. Both hold UK passports and have no other citizenship.

Child was born 2 weeks ago.

Received a letter stating the following

"As XX and XX were born in the United Kingdom after 31 December 1982, they may have a claim to British Citizenship if one of their parents were free from Immigration control when they were born, so we need evidence to confirm this."

That makes no sense - they are both British citizens - they both have British passports.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Child born abroad to two British Citizens

Post by meself2 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:38 pm

Passport doesn't equal proof that these people are able to pass citizenship - see post2100453.html#p2100453 for more in depth comment.
How did both parents get citizenship, what was their parents' status?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:42 pm

Both parents (my brother and his wife) got their citizenship because they were born in the UK and parents of both my brother and his wife were and still are UK citizenships at the time of their births.

kankerot
United Kingdom

Post by kankerot » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:46 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:38 pm
Passport doesn't equal proof that these people are able to pass citizenship - see post2100453.html#p2100453 for more in depth comment.
I read that above - there is no ILR. My brother and his wife were born in the UK and have UK birth certificates. Both parents of my brother and his wife were uk citizens at the time of their births. So all 4 grandparents were uk citizens at the time of birth of my brother and his wife.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:58 pm

kankerot wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:46 pm
meself2 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:38 pm
I read that above - there is no ILR. My brother and his wife were born in the UK and have UK birth certificates. Both parents of my brother and his wife were uk citizens at the time of their births. So all 4 grandparents were uk citizens at the time of birth of my brother and his wife.
I think they need to explain that to HMPO, and then see what other document(s), if any, they require. Maybe a good idea to include in their reply grandparents' details, names , DOB, place of birth.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.