ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child's first British Passport - grandparent details

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Child's first British Passport - grandparent details

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:06 pm

Hi All,

I received my ILR through 10 year Set LR route in Jan'23. Mother is on PBS.

I have now a newborn in Feb'23 which I understand is default a British citizen and can apply for British passport after his birth registration with local council. I am applying online.

Question - Since my ILR is not through EU settlement scheme, the application asks to provide maternal and paternal grandparent marriage certs and parent's birth certificates. We cannot provide this unfortunately because of no access. However, as the newborn British eligibility is via Father - are grandparent's documents mandatory to be sent by post?

What physical documents need to be sent in this case? Is below enough -
1. Child birth certificate from local council
2. Father's Indian passport
3. Father's BRP showing Settlement (ILR)

Anything else such as - Mother's passport and/or Visa or our marriage certificates or anything else?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child's first British Passport - grandparent details

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:13 pm

Grandparents documents NOT required.

The same passport application from is used for ALL forms of applications for a passport. Simply ignore bits not relevant to you and read the guidance notes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:15 pm

Thanks @CR001 got there first.
jrs1984 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:06 pm
Hi All,

I received my ILR through 10 year Set LR route in Jan'23. Mother is on PBS.

I have now a newborn in Feb'23 which I understand is default a British citizen and can apply for British passport after his birth registration with local council. I am applying online.

Question - Since my ILR is not through EU settlement scheme, the application asks to provide maternal and paternal grandparent marriage certs and parent's birth certificates Nothing to do with EUSS.. We cannot provide this unfortunately because of no access. However, as the newborn British eligibility is via Father - are grandparent's documents mandatory to be sent by post? Grandparents' details are not required - claim to citizenship is via your ILR.
Note the form caters for all citizenship pathways.
What physical documents need to be sent in this case? Is below enough - OK - not sure about passport, probably not required.
1. Child birth certificate from local council
2. Father's Indian passport
3. Father's BRP showing Settlement (ILR)
Important: your BRP is the only proof of your child's entitlement to citizenship. You should keep is safe, do not return it to UKVI for any reason, especially if applying for naturalisation. HMPO can and sometimes do request proof of citizenship, a passport alone is not conclusive proof.
Anything else such as - Mother's passport and/or Visa or our marriage certificates or anything else? No.

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:23 pm

Thanks, both of you. Much relief indeed as getting GP's documents would have been a serious uphill task.

I will send my ILR BRP and Indian passport (just in case) along with birth certs as asked.

Silly question - Is there a way to submit a digital copy instead of sending physical documents to HMPO? Also, any cover letter needs to be included otherwise how would they know which application these documents relate to? Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:25 pm

Is there a way to submit a digital copy instead of sending physical documents to HMPO?
No there is not. Note, you do not need to send your passport, just your ILR BRP card.
Also, any cover letter needs to be included otherwise how would they know which application these documents relate to?
No, you send the documents with the reference number you get from the online application. HMPO know the rules and what they are doing!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:30 pm

Thank you so much !

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:01 pm

One more question for the passport please -

Child's mother Indian passport doesn't have a surname, only first/given names as A B C

During birth registration, the councillor as per UK norms put mother's name as
Given name - A B C
Maiden/Surname - A B C

In the passport application - what's the best way to put Mother's First name and Surname. If I put A B C in both, I am wondering if in the passport it would show as A B C A B C
Generally in other non-strict places, we put C as Surname, but doing so in this case might cause conflict with Birth certificate.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:04 pm

A British passport doesn't have parents names in.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:07 pm

Ah ok, I did not know, thanks, I have never seen one before. So what should I put Mother name in this case please

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:40 pm

jrs1984 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:07 pm
Ah ok, I did not know, thanks, I have never seen one before. So what should I put Mother name in this case please
Put it the same way as you would complete other official forms in the UK. But as said, parents details will not be in the passport. Also caseworkers will be familiar with naming conventions from around the world so shouldn't be an issue. I would stick to the name format you use regularly.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:52 pm

Hi, Based on the guidance I have now made an application for British Passport (BP) for my second born.

Now my first born who has his MN1 approved this morning (due to receive the reg cert) is also eligible for BP. As I have submitted my ILR BRP for my second born's BP application, do I have to wait for this document to be returned before I can make an application for first born's BP?

I am concerned with upcoming strikes in passport offices which could delay overall process.

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:56 pm

Personally I would wait for the original to come back before submitting next - don't know how you would tell HMPO that the BRP is with another application. It's difficult enough at times to get everything through.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:23 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:56 pm
Personally I would wait for the original to come back before submitting next - don't know how you would tell HMPO that the BRP is with another application. It's difficult enough at times to get everything through.
ILR BRP is NOT required if a child is registered as British when applying for Child Passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:16 pm

Thats very helpful to know, thanks, that means I can go ahead with first born application as well.

Question - How do I respond to the question - "Do you have any passports from other coutries?"
Background - My first born was Indian citizen/passport, and after MN1 successful, he is no longer Indian citizen so cannot use Indian passport (automatic renunciation). Should I still respond yes and send Indian passport if asked?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:33 pm

You need to send the Indian passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)