ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Would my child get British nationality automatically?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

e2saleh
Newly Registered

Would my child get British nationality automatically?

Post by e2saleh » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:31 pm

Hi,

We've obtained British citizenship several years ago and all family members are dual-nationals. We are considering to live abroad and would like to clarify if we have a new baby born outside the UK would that child obtain the British citizenship automatically or not?

Thanks,

vinny

Re: Would my child get British nationality automatically?

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:51 pm

Yes. However, any overseas born grandchildren may not be automatically British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

e2saleh
Newly Registered

Post by e2saleh » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:38 am

vinny wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:51 pm
Thank you for the prompt reply. This is probably why we've been confused as the guidelines say if a British child was born outside the UK then they can't give their children the citizenship automatically. We obtained the British citizenship through naturalisation and none of the parents was born in the UK so I was concerned if that means any children born to us outside the UK won't gain the citizenship automatically.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:47 am

e2saleh wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:38 am
vinny wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:51 pm
Thank you for the prompt reply. This is probably why we've been confused as the guidelines say if a British child was born outside the UK then they can't give their children the citizenship automatically. We obtained the British citizenship through naturalisation and none of the parents was born in the UK so I was concerned if that means any children born to us outside the UK won't gain the citizenship automatically. Not your children but your grand children