ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

**quick question about the citizenship application of a child.**

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dinushka

**quick question about the citizenship application of a child.**

Post by dinushka » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:56 am

hi Members,

Could I ask that how long do I need to wait after getting the ILR of my 7 years old child, to apply for his UK citizenship? I'm his dad and I'm already British citizen for last 5 years. I will look forward for the guidance.

regards

alterhase58
Germany

Re: **quick question about the citizenship application of a child.**

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:48 am

Official guidance: MN1 Registration - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance
Presumably child was born outside the UK and lived in the UK for more than three years. Then I believe child can register now.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dinushka

Re: **two quick question about the citizenship application**

Post by dinushka » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 am

actually, I have two questions.

question 1) my child was born in outside of UK (non-EU) country, and when he was born that time I did not have the British citizenship. I got my British citizenship after 1.5 year of his birth. So he came into the UK on 5 years route with his mother (my wife) to get the ILR first. So he got the ILR last week (and my wife also got ILR last week), my question is this that how long do we need to wait to apply for his British citizenship? Can we apply straightway (as he got the ILR last week)?

question 2) I'm a British citizen, my wife got ILR last week after five years spouse route. Now she is spouse of British citizen, but when she came into the UK on spouse route, that time I was on PR (Permanent Resident) of UK, I did not have the British citizen that time. But now I have the British citizenship, so my question is this that can she apply for British citizenship, as a spouse of British citizen? I'm confused because I got the British citizenship after starting her 5 years route as a spouse.

So please guide me on these two question. Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: **two quick question about the citizenship application**

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:29 am

dinushka wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:25 am
actually, I have two questions.

question 1) my child was born in outside of UK (non-EU) country, and when he was born that time I did not have the British citizenship. I got my British citizenship after 1.5 year of his birth. So he came into the UK on 5 years route with his mother (my wife) to get the ILR first. So he got the ILR last week (and my wife also got ILR last week), my question is this that how long do we need to wait to apply for his British citizenship? Can we apply straightway (as he got the ILR last week)?

question 2) I'm a British citizen, my wife got ILR last week after five years spouse route. Now she is spouse of British citizen, but when she came into the UK on spouse route, that time I was on PR (Permanent Resident) of UK, I did not have the British citizen that time. But now I have the British citizenship, so my question is this that can she apply for British citizenship, as a spouse of British citizen? I'm confused because I got the British citizenship after starting her 5 years route as a spouse.

So please guide me on these two question. Thanks.
Your wife can apply immediately as she is married to you a BC, your child can also go ahead and apply in line with your wife.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:33 am

What counts for your wife's application is that you are British on the date your wife got ILR, irrespective of when you obtained citizenship..
In the case of your child as you weren't British when he was born he has to register as British, can be done when your wife applies
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:31 pm

Could you please share some source where I can confirm this what you have said? that my wife and child are good to apply for British Citizenship. Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:16 pm

dinushka wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:31 pm
Could you please share some source where I can confirm this what you have said? that my wife and child are good to apply for British Citizenship. Thank you.
You can always read the official guidance - this is asked almost daily ....

1. Wife: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... #bookmark8
Quote: "Are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen on the date of application"

2. Child: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _2023_.pdf
Page 15 - Section "Children applying in line with parents"

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm

could you please guide me for this question in Citizenship form?

Non-applying dependants

Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?

Yes or No

My wife and my son are going to apply for Citizenship. But we have other three kids also, which were born in UK and they are already British Citizen. So could you please guide me that which option she should select?

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:30 am

dinushka wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm
could you please guide me for this question in Citizenship form?

Non-applying dependants

Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time?

Yes or No

My wife and my son are going to apply for Citizenship. But we have other three kids also, which were born in UK and they are already British Citizen. So could you please guide me that which option she should select?

Thanks
3 children who are already BC will never have to apply for citizenship so yes and say why they won't be applying.

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:50 am

could you please guide me about the following question? I got confused. I'm already British Citizen and my wife is applying for British citizenship , after getting the ILR, with my eldest son (under 18), (he has also got his ILR) and I got this following question.

Register child as British citizen

Are either of the parents of the child (as stated in this application) applying for naturalisation as a British citizen on an AN form?
(Required)

Yes or No

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:12 am

dinushka wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:50 am
could you please guide me about the following question? I got confused. I'm already British Citizen and my wife is applying for British citizenship , after getting the ILR, with my eldest son (under 18), (he has also got his ILR) and I got this following question.

Register child as British citizen

Are either of the parents of the child (as stated in this application) applying for naturalisation as a British citizen on an AN form?
(Required)

Yes or No
Yes

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:45 am

hi Members,

Please help me for the following questions.

Question 1) A letter of consent from Mr XX XX parent(s) or legal guardian(s) We child's biological parents. What does it mean?

Question2) Proof of living in the UK for Mrs XX XX for 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen. What proof they expect from her? As far as I understand that she needs to provide the passport only as a proof. Is it correct? Is only passport enough?
If yes, then shall she provide her expired passport also, which shows her entries and exit's from UK? Also the first time entry in UK as a spouse?

Question3) Two referee declarations. I have put the details of the two referees, but did not understand that what does it mean by the word "declarations" how to get this?

Question4) My son's passport is expired and we have not renewed it, as we knew that we are not making any plan to go abroad. So would it effect my child British citizenship application if I do not provide the valid passport? Shall we renew his passport before applying? And if we apply to renew it, then it can cause delay to get the new passport. So please guide me on this issue.

Question5) Providing your documents
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.
You will be able to upload copies of your documents on our commercial partner's website, or you can take your documents to your biometrics appointment to be scanned and uploaded by our commercial partner for a fee. You'll be told how to book an appointment and upload your documents after you submit your application.
You do not need to send any physical documents to the Home Office or UK Visas & Immigration unless you are advised to do so.

I'm confused that they are asking to provide original documents, especially passports. Same time they are saying that "do not need to send any physical documents" Could you please guide me how to provide the documents?

I'm sorry that I have asked number of question in one go. Please accept the apology in advance from my side. I would apricate your help.

Regards

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:13 pm

could I get the help please?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:38 pm

NOTE we are all volunteers and respond to queries as and when we can, if we know the answer, or not if we don't ....
dinushka wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:45 am
hi Members,

Please help me for the following questions.

Question 1) A letter of consent from Mr XX XX parent(s) or legal guardian(s) We child's biological parents. What does it mean? Look at a post I did a while ago: british-citizenship/refree-t335068.html ... t#p2102766

Question2) Proof of living in the UK for Mrs XX XX for 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen. What proof they expect from her? As far as I understand that she needs to provide the passport only as a proof. Is it correct? Is only passport enough? Does wife's passport get entry stamps? If not she may have to provide something like P60s or Council Tax bills.
If yes, then shall she provide her expired passport also, which shows her entries and exit's from UK? Also the first time entry in UK as a spouse?
There's no requirement to prove absence dates, just the passport covering the 3 years required.

Question3) Two referee declarations. I have put the details of the two referees, but did not understand that what does it mean by the word "declarations" how to get this? By their signature they "declare" (confirm) they know the applicant, are qualified as referee etc.

Question4) My son's passport is expired and we have not renewed it, as we knew that we are not making any plan to go abroad. So would it effect my child British citizenship application if I do not provide the valid passport? Shall we renew his passport before applying? And if we apply to renew it, then it can cause delay to get the new passport. So please guide me on this issue. You could wait of course but as you say this will take time. You can submit the expired passport and provide an explanation why child doesn't have a valid passport.

Question5) Providing your documents
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.
You will be able to upload copies of your documents on our commercial partner's website, or you can take your documents to your biometrics appointment to be scanned and uploaded by our commercial partner for a fee. You'll be told how to book an appointment and upload your documents after you submit your application.
You do not need to send any physical documents to the Home Office or UK Visas & Immigration unless you are advised to do so.

I'm confused that they are asking to provide original documents, especially passports. Same time they are saying that "do not need to send any physical documents" Could you please guide me how to provide the documents? Originals not required for nationality application, just upload, no originals required. The instructions cover all sorts of applications, agreed, confusing.

I'm sorry that I have asked number of question in one go. Please accept the apology in advance from my side. I would apricate your help. Appreciate you find some of this confusing, take your time to complete everything and put together all documents for upload. There's no point rushing. Avoids panic later on.

Regards

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Tue May 02, 2023 9:38 pm

hi,

in Citizenship application we got this following question.

Have you provided evidence of your English language ability in a previous application?

Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English?

We are confused about the answer. That shall we select "Yes" or "No" . What does it mean by previous application?

While in the next questions they are asking.

Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? my wife selected Yes

Have you passed an approved English language test? my wife selected Yes

Did the test assess your speaking and listening skills at a level equivalent to CEFR B1 or higher? my wife selected Yes

How did you get your result? Certificate

My wife got the Trinity College London - B1 certificate (speaking and listening qualification) . She used this same certificate for her ILR application. But we are very confused that what answer we should select for this question. Are they asking about ILR application? Does previous application mean my wife's ILR application?

Have you provided evidence of your English language ability in a previous application?

Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English?

Please guide me. Thanks

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue May 02, 2023 9:41 pm

dinushka wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:38 pm
Does previous application mean my wife's ILR application?
Yes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Tue May 02, 2023 10:43 pm

According to "Do you have a previous visa, entry clearance or leave to remain where you had to prove your knowledge of English?"

Does not say "indefinite leave to remain" (ILR) .

When I checked on ChatGBT , it says

No, "leave to remain" and "indefinite leave to remain" are not the same thing.

"Leave to remain" is a permission given to a person to remain in the UK for a specified period of time, subject to certain conditions. It is usually granted for a limited period, such as two years, and may be subject to restrictions, such as the requirement to work for a specific employer or to study at a specific institution.

On the other hand, "indefinite leave to remain" (ILR) is a more permanent status that allows a person to remain in the UK without any time restrictions. Once a person has been granted ILR, they can live and work in the UK without any further immigration restrictions.

Therefore, if the question specifically asks about "leave to remain", it does not include "indefinite leave to remain".

That is why I asked for the help, because we found this question very confusing for us.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:56 pm

dinushka wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:43 pm
When I checked on ChatGBT , it says
I wouldn't trust it, especially in immigration matters.
ILR and leave to remain aren't the same thing, but ILR is part of "leave to remain" category, as it stands for "indefinite leave to remain". There can be limited leave to remain (which was the spouse visa, for example), but both of these are still leave to remain.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 03, 2023 12:45 am

See also Guidance.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Thu May 04, 2023 11:35 pm

could you please guide me on this question?

"If you do not meet the statutory requirements to become a British citizen, are there any special circumstances why you think the Home Secretary should still grant your application?"

as this application is my wife's citizenship application, and we got three British-children by birth (as I'm British). We are very confused now about this question, that shall we say Yes or No?

Please guide us about selecting the right answer for this question. Thanks.

dinushka

Post by dinushka » Fri May 05, 2023 8:44 am

Could I get help on this ???

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:28 am

It's NO unless your spouse doesn't meet the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.