ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling same day as ILR result

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uhd4k
New Zealand

Travelling same day as ILR result

Post by uhd4k » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 pm

Here is a pedantic question but it is useful to me.

If your current BPR is still valid, and you receive a response today, say at 11:00 am, stating that your ILR application has been approved, when can you leave the country and travel abroad? Can you leave one hour later? or the next day? Or do you have to get a new BPR else you lose the ILR? Or what?

Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Travelling same day as ILR result

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:22 am

uhd4k wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 pm

If your current BPR is still valid, and you receive a response today, say at 11:00 am, stating that your ILR application has been approved, when can you leave the country and travel abroad? Can you leave one hour later? or the next day? Or do you have to get a new BPR else you lose the ILR? Or what?

Thanks.
You won't lose ILR status because of that, ILR can be lost if you stayed out of UK for 2years
You leaving is not at issue , however when returning you need to have a valid BRP at hand to show the airline personnel as evidence of your immigration status in UK before you are even allowed to board the aircraft at point of departure.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:00 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:22 am
You won't lose ILR status because of that, ILR can be lost if you stayed out of UK for 2years
You leaving is not at issue , however when returning you need to have a valid BRP at hand to show the airline personnel as evidence of your immigration status in UK before you are even allowed to board the aircraft at point of departure.
So to understand you, if I get an email or a letter confirming my application was approved, I could leave the country immediately and I would be allowed to re-enter the country a week later using my current and still-not-expired BRP? Correct?

Thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:29 pm

uhd4k wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:00 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:22 am
So to understand you, if I get an email or a letter confirming my application was approved, I could leave the country immediately and I would be allowed to re-enter the country a week later using my current and still-not-expired BRP? Correct?

Thanks.
Nope, your other BRP becomes invalid as a new one would have been issued. That BRP can't let you into the country. You need to receive your new BRP first.
BRP numbers are mostly registered on your passport if you have to deal with immigration officers. They can't register an invalid BRP on your passport or their system.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:22 pm

uhd4k wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 pm

Thanks.
There is no limit on leaving the UK. Leaving the UK is only an issue if you have a pending application as that makes the application automatically withdrawn. When ILR is approved, there is no pending application anymore. ILR is a permanent status and is only lost if you stayed out of the UK for more than 24 months. If you are a non-visa national, you can return to the UK without your BRP and go through the border, however, visa nationals must get their BRP if they need to return. The old BRP is now invalid
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:46 pm

zimba wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:22 pm
There is no limit on leaving the UK. Leaving the UK is only an issue if you have a pending application as that makes the application automatically withdrawn. When ILR is approved, there is no pending application anymore. ILR is a permanent status and is only lost if you stayed out of the UK for more than 24 months. If you are a non-visa national, you can return to the UK without your BRP and go through the border, however, visa nationals must get their BRP if they need to return. The old BRP is now invalid
Ok thanks. I am from New Zealand and it is a non-visa national. But obviously, I have been in the country for more than 6 months. Would I have to show the ILR response email to border control?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:44 pm

Just explain your status to the officer. I reckon they can see your latest immigration status in their systems. You simply need to ensure that you are not admitted as a visitor. This is not a big deal
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:02 am

zimba wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:44 pm
Just explain your status to the officer. I reckon they can see your latest immigration status in their systems. You simply need to ensure that you are not admitted as a visitor. This is not a big deal
I tend to agree. I will let you how it went :-D

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:57 am

So I asked a reputable immigration law firm -they give you the chance to ask one question online for free. They were adamant it'd be a bad idea to travel without the new BRP. Even the ILR approval email clearly stipulates that one shall never travel without the BRP. The consultant added however that it usually takes 2 to 3 days to get the BRP, even though they officially state 7 working days. So I'm gonna take up the immigration consultant's advice. I just don't wanna spend my trip worrying about the return leg.

Thanks everyone for your input.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:27 pm

uhd4k wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:57 am
So I asked a reputable immigration law firm -they give you the chance to ask one question online for free. They were adamant it'd be a bad idea to travel without the new BRP. Even the ILR approval email clearly stipulates that one shall never travel without the BRP. The consultant added however that it usually takes 2 to 3 days to get the BRP, even though they officially state 7 working days. So I'm gonna take up the immigration consultant's advice. I just don't wanna spend my trip worrying about the return leg.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Same or similar was said by most persons when you asked.

uhd4k
New Zealand

Post by uhd4k » Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:50 pm

Just an update for those who might come afterwards seeking answers to the same question. It took the new BRP card two days to arrive. Happy ending...

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:24 pm

uhd4k wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:50 pm
Just an update for those who might come afterwards seeking answers to the same question. It took the new BRP card two days to arrive. Happy ending...
Thanks on the update and congrats