ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Registration as a British citizen(Naturalisation)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

prati
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

MN1 Registration as a British citizen(Naturalisation)

Post by prati » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:02 pm

Good Evening,

Can the Child's Current passport renew after submitting MN1 Registration as a British citizen application processing?

Want to know if any travel is required and current passport expiry is nearer during processing.

thanks for your response.

Regards,
prati

alterhase58
Germany

Re: MN1 Registration as a British citizen(Naturalisation)

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:38 pm

No issue with renewing child's passport or travelling during processing of MN1 application - it's not an immigration application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

prati
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by prati » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:59 pm

Thank you for your reply.

To apply for Child Naturalisation and both parents are in ILR and Child is above 18 years and now he/she become an Adult then the Child alone can apply for (form AN) Naturalisation which is holding ILR and is born outside UK , assuming the MN1 application is no more applicable?

or mandatory to apply Child (after 18 yrs) with a parent for form AN Naturalisation?

Thanks in advance for the prompt response.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:18 pm

If "child" is 18 or over they are adult and need to apply for naturalisation (form AN) and fulfil all requirements, including English/LITUK/absences/etc. You can include adult child on your own application, but not compulsory.
AN Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

prati
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by prati » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:30 pm

Thank you for the reply.

My actual question is can I apply for Naturalisation just for a Child only ( <18 yrs form MN1 else over 18 yrs form AN ) and both parents are currently ‘settled’ ILR status in the UK not applying for Naturalisation?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:48 pm

prati wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:30 pm
Thank you for the reply.

My actual question is can I apply for Naturalisation just for a Child only ( <18 yrs form MN1 else over 18 yrs form AN ) and both parents are currently ‘settled’ ILR status in the UK not applying for Naturalisation?
No you cannot for a minor. One parent needs to be British or applying to be British at the same time.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Teksman
United Kingdom

Post by Teksman » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:53 pm

prati wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

How long has the child lived in the UK?

prati
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by prati » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 pm

Thanks, Child is living from 2016 onwards.

So, if the Child is above 18 years then they can apply for Naturalisation ( Satisfying LIUK, English Cer ..etc) and there is no need for a parent to apply for British naturalisation. Is my understanding correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:02 pm

prati wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 pm
Thanks, Child is living from 2016 onwards.

So, if the Child is above 18 years then they can apply for Naturalisation ( Satisfying LIUK, English Cer ..etc) and there is no need for a parent to apply for British naturalisation. Is my understanding correct?
Correct. Adult naturalisation is independent and individual. Each adult person must meet thefull 12 months on ILR, B1 English and LIUK test as well as the absence limits and the physically present exactly 5 years ago requirement
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anti-cool
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by anti-cool » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:23 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:48 pm
prati wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

No you cannot for a minor. One parent needs to be British or applying to be British at the same time.
Well that lt is confusing. From MN1 guidelines I understand that children below 18 can apply for Naturalisation if both parents have ILR, and the child too. No need British parent. Do I miss something?

Page 15 at below pdf document :
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance

Children with settlement and residence
Children will come within this category if:
• the child has completed a period of lawful residence in the UK of more than 5
years
• the child has been granted settled status in the UK, and held that status for at
least 12 months
• the child’s parents have completed a period of 5 years residence and are
settled in the UK (“settled” usually means that the parent has indefinite leave to
remain in the UK)
• both parents give their consent to registration (unless good reasons are
provided)
• there is no reason to refuse on character grounds

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:06 pm

anti-cool wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:23 pm
Ticktack wrote:
prati wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

Well that lt is confusing. From MN1 guidelines I understand that children below 18 can apply for Naturalisation if both parents have ILR, and the child too. No need British parent. Do I miss something?

years
• the child has been granted settled status in the UK, and held that status for at
least 12 months
settled in the UK (“settled” usually means that the parent has indefinite leave to
remain in the UK)
provided)
You're not missing anything. This amendment was made in December 2022. You're completely correct.

It's hard to keep up with all these changes. :lol:
We recognise that some parents may be settled and established in the UK but choose not to become British citizens for valid reasons, such as their own country’s attitude to dual nationality, or to avoid losing rights in their own country. We recognise that their child living in the UK may have nevertheless built up their own connections and still feel a sense of belonging and strong connection with the UK. We therefore do not think it will always be appropriate to expect such a child to have to wait until the age of 18 to apply to naturalise, if the child is an older minor and established in the UK.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

prati
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by prati » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:16 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:06 pm
anti-cool wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:23 pm
Ticktack wrote:
prati wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

years
least 12 months
remain in the UK)
provided)
You're not missing anything. This amendment was made in December 2022. You're completely correct.

It's hard to keep up with all these changes. :lol:
We recognise that some parents may be settled and established in the UK but choose not to become British citizens for valid reasons, such as their own country’s attitude to dual nationality, or to avoid losing rights in their own country. We recognise that their child living in the UK may have nevertheless built up their own connections and still feel a sense of belonging and strong connection with the UK. We therefore do not think it will always be appropriate to expect such a child to have to wait until the age of 18 to apply to naturalise, if the child is an older minor and established in the UK.
Sorry, pls confirm again I slightly confused with multiple comments So then, Based on Amendment Dec 2022,

Do children born outside the UK & below 18 can apply alone for Naturalisation if both parents have ILR, and the child too? & Not applying parents for Naturalisation.
@CR001 /Moderators - pls clarify, it might be useful for many applicants too.

prati
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by prati » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:41 am

Based on Amendment Dec 2022,

1.Daughter born outside the UK & below 18(until Dec 2023) can apply alone for MN1 form without need of LIFUK test & B1 test?
if both parents & Child have ILR and parents are not applying for Naturalisation and meet residence rules.

2. Can parents submit the MN1 form online until she turns 18 and Daughter has to submit an application once she turns 18+ following Adult Naturalisation process ? is that correct?

Moderators , Please clarify

thanks,
prati