ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JohnL
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by JohnL » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:34 am

binky62 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:43 pm
Hi everyone,

It's been a month and I'm still waiting to see if I'm added to the FBR register.

I wondered if the email will from the person who contacted you regarding the address confirmation. Or is it just an auto-generated / templated email?
I got the address check email from an individual and then an hour later that same individual emailed me and said they had processed my application and added my name to the Foreign Births Register. The individual in the second second email said that my certificate was in the queue to be printed and this was currently taking a number of weeks. I received a tracking number at the same time.

About a month later I got the form "congratulations" email. And a few days after that, the tracking number was on An Post - it's currently en route.

Callanish
Newly Registered
England

Post by Callanish » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:42 am

Hi everyone,
I received an email 22/3/23 to say that my application has been successful and that my certificate has now been printed and posted,
I am so happy😀
Now I am looking into applying for my passport.
Can you send certified copies of UK passport and drivers licence ?
I am a bit nervous of posting everything off, what with post going missing etc.
When I do post documents I will send it registered and tracked etc, that's the safest way to send them I presume.

Application received     6/4/2022
Address Confirmation Email received 2/2/23
Congratulations email, certificate being posted 22/3/23

Thank you in advance, this forum is great and people are very helpful, it's much appreciated 😊

Downtime
Newly Registered
England

Post by Downtime » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:13 am

Applied circa July 2022
Address confirmation email 22 March 2023

Can you apply for a first passport once you receive the congratulations email or do you have to wait to receive the certificate?

MrMister2022
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MrMister2022 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:48 am

I received an address check yesterday so my dates are:

Application date: 12 May 2022
Documents received: 8 June 2022
Address check: 22 March 2023

I have updated the spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... kbma3Vth4/

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:23 am

Downtime wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:13 am
Applied circa July 2022
Address confirmation email 22 March 2023

Can you apply for a first passport once you receive the congratulations email or do you have to wait to receive the certificate?
You need to send in the physical certificate when you apply for a passport.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alexkean1986
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alexkean1986 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:44 am

Good Morning.

Could anyone confirm the following:

1. The current waiting time from day documents received to certificate being delivered is 9-11 months? I am going off posts in here
2. Why does the official site state 2 years and also I spoke on the phone with them today and was also told 2 years.
3. Do you get an email to confirm documents are received or are you just going off the tracking information from the delivery (mine arrived today)
4. If people are receiving there FBR certificates now that applied 9-11 month ago and the process is getting quicker does that mean that those that apply now will see it happen quicker
5. When making my online application it timed out before i could complete payment, will this create a problem and if so how can it be resolved? I did call in and was told not to worry about it

Thanks in advance for any help, as you will all know its a stressful journey. It took me months to acquire the documents as grandmothers name on fathers birth certificate was incorrect (middle name not first) and grandmothers place of birth wrong on death certificate.

martinhiggins
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by martinhiggins » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:46 am

At a bit of a dead end with my application. I received an address confirmation in December and then (weirdly) another email in late January asking me to pay an extra 8 Euros. I've since emailed both the person who sent the original address confirmation and the urgent inquiries email (fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie) with absolutely no response. I called the urgent inquiries line who told me to send an email...

Anyone have ideas on something else I could do?

Application date: 1 October 2021
Documents received : 21 October 2021
Address Confirmation Email received: 21 December 2022

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:09 pm

martinhiggins wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:46 am
At a bit of a dead end with my application. I received an address confirmation in December and then (weirdly) another email in late January asking me to pay an extra 8 Euros. I've since emailed both the person who sent the original address confirmation and the urgent inquiries email (fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie) with absolutely no response. I called the urgent inquiries line who told me to send an email...

Anyone have ideas on something else I could do?

Application date: 1 October 2021
Documents received : 21 October 2021
Address Confirmation Email received: 21 December 2022
Probably not the most helpful advice, but I would just suggest emailing both again, explain your situation and be very polite. Being persistent can’t hurt, squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.

rìbhinne
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rìbhinne » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:38 pm

rìbhinne wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:35 pm
Hello! I'm more of a reader than a participant but I've learnt so much from reading this forum!

I sent my documents today and I'm a bit concerned. UPS wouldn't ship because the address is a PO Box. I had to use USPS and they said there's a new policy and there would be a $21 customs fee on delivery. I purchased a cashier's cheque and put it in the envelope stating it was for the customs fee but I'm concerned the package will be turned away without opening it to see the cashier's cheque. I had to declare a value so I only declared $1.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've never heard of a customs fee for documents.
**update**
USPS and An Post have marked this as delivered. Whew! Now the waiting begins...

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:06 pm

Runrig wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:23 am
Hummingbear

Congratulations!

Did you receive any communication at all between 11 November and 22 February? Or did it all go in to a black hole for almost 3.5 months?

Thanks

Peter
p.s. I'm in a similar position, having sent additional documents about a month ago
Peter sorry for the late reply. I had to reach out to the person who emailed me multiple times. My package had arrived but "not been scanned". After a third email he told me was magically approved and I would receive notice. After 1-week I didn't receive anything and reached out again over email, after which I magically received the approval email. I would politely reach out to the person working your application.

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Coachman » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:34 pm

alexkean1986 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:44 am
Good Morning.

1. The current waiting time from day documents received to certificate being delivered is 9-11 months? I am going off posts in here
2. Why does the official site state 2 years and also I spoke on the phone with them today and was also told 2 years.
3. Do you get an email to confirm documents are received or are you just going off the tracking information from the delivery (mine arrived today)
4. If people are receiving there FBR certificates now that applied 9-11 month ago and the process is getting quicker does that mean that those that apply now will see it happen quicker
5. When making my online application it timed out before i could complete payment, will this create a problem and if so how can it be resolved? I did call in and was told not to worry about it

Thanks in advance for any help, as you will all know its a stressful journey. It took me months to acquire the documents as grandmothers name on fathers birth certificate was incorrect (middle name not first) and grandmothers place of birth wrong on death certificate.
The minister's last response in the Oireachtas stated it's currently around a 10 month wait from confirmation of documents delivered. I received an email when documents were received. They likely have not updated the site yet to reflect 10 months. I'm not banking on it getting quicker. Especially, if people keep emailing and calling slowing them down. If payment timed out, and you weren't charged, I fear it was not submitted. They do require payment to process it and the online application w payment is required before you can mail in your documents. Best wishes.

JPrism
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JPrism » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:26 am

Finally!

Application date: 5th May 2022
Documents received : 23rd May 2022
Address Confirmation Email received: 25th Feb 2023
Congratulations email: 21st March 2023

That's just around 10 months!
I'm just so pleased and surprised! wow

alexkean1986
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alexkean1986 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:28 am

Thanks for the reply :)

Is +35315683331 the best number to contact on to find out about payment?
Also, how long have people been waiting for confirmation of documents received from Postal tracking stating delivered? Love how quick and helpful everyone is here

Terah
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by Terah » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:29 am

Certificate arrived this morning, so that's:

Application submitted - 01/Mar/2022
Documents received email - 22/Mar/2022
Address confirmation email - 31/Jan/2023
Congratulations email - 17/Mar/2023
Certificate received - 24/Mar/2023

Have updated the spreadsheet. Now onto passport application!

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:19 pm

Official congratulations email received yesterday along with confirmation that cert has been printed and posted, which seemingly should take about 7 days to arrive. Will update the spreadsheet when cert has been received.

Application date:13/05/2022
Docs received: 02/06/2022
Email address: check 01/03/2023
Confimation email of FBR entry: 02/03/2023
Offical congratulations email: 23/03/2023
Cert received: pending, expected next week (fingers crossed)

That's 10 months total and I would expect times to continue to come down but by smaller and smaller margins, I don't think even prior to brexit and covid that wait times were less than 6 months. As the backlog appears to have been largely cleared I wouldn't be surprised if some of the additional resources are allocated elsewhere, although that's just speculation.

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:23 pm

Rxp2023 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:19 pm
Official congratulations email received yesterday along with confirmation that cert has been printed and posted, which seemingly should take about 7 days to arrive. Will update the spreadsheet when cert has been received.

Application date:13/05/2022
Docs received: 02/06/2022
Email address: check 01/03/2023
Confimation email of FBR entry: 02/03/2023
Offical congratulations email: 23/03/2023
Cert received: pending, expected next week (fingers crossed)

That's 10 months total and I would expect times to continue to come down but by smaller and smaller margins, I don't think even prior to brexit and covid that wait times were less than 6 months. As the backlog appears to have been largely cleared I wouldn't be surprised if some of the additional resources are allocated elsewhere, although that's just speculation.
Also I should note that tracking number was included in the confirmation email the day after address check (sent by an individual staff member) but not in the official (automated) congratulations email.

JohnL
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by JohnL » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:37 am

Final update:

Application Based On: Irish born Grandparent
Applied Online Date: 20/06/21
Application received Date: 29/03/22 (Docs weren't mailed to DFA until 20/03/22)
Acknowledgement Date: 08/04/22
Address Confirmation email: 16/02/23
Notice of approval email: 16/02/23
Approval and confirmation of certificate posted: 9/03/23
Docs and FBR cert received: 24/03/23

10 business days in the post from Dublin to Toronto.

On to passport application! Go raibh maith agat, Eire.

Best of luck to all.

brianborutoo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brianborutoo » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:21 pm

Ssgogo16 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:37 am
brianborutoo wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:44 pm
Ssgogo16 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:50 pm
I’ll say I hope they are back to processing replacements! I’ve been trying to call the FBR line to confirm they have the supporting documents and application in queue. It’s certainly most unfortunate for my father who is unable to renew his passport without the FBR replacement and wants to travel to Europe soon.

Please if you do unfortunately have to go replacement route keep us updated. There’s really very little information anywhere on replacement certificates and what to expect. I wish you the best of luck with usps!
Hey, Ssgogo16. I should think they'd have to turn to replacements very soon, if they've not already simply b/c they're down to times akin to what they had before Brexit. That said, they may not keep up this pace and who knows what kind of staffing they'll have going forward. At any rate, it is an unfortunate state of affairs for anyone needing the certificate. I wish you and your father well. As for USPS, I'll let folks know ... as well as what I can ascertain regarding the provision of replacement certificates.

This conversation sparked me to call in today to the line. Replacement certificates are currently estimated to resume printing sometime between August-October of 2023. He did note they will send out email correspondence when that resumes as each replacement application is reviewed.
Thanks for checking into that! It is looking like I'm going to have to replace mine given that USPS inquiry into my package has revealed nothing at nearly 2 months since it left the US. AnPost shows nothing and I've submitted an inquiry there as well (of my own).

brianborutoo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brianborutoo » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:25 pm

JT97 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:06 pm
I'm living in an actual nightmare. It took almost 29 months for my FBR certificate to arrive after application.

Now Royal Mail have LOST my passport application, which contained my birth certificate and my FBR!!

Does anyone know how much it will cost to get a replacement and how long I'll have to wait? Surely it can't be another 2 years as I already have citizenship.

Also, will I be able to get a refund on my passport application, or can I still use the current application when my replacement certificate arrives?
I'm in the same boat, it appears. My FBR application to certificate took the same amount of time. I had the certificate in my hands less than 24 hours before I sent it off for the passport. Now, nearly 60 days later, it is still in the void somewhere after USPS notes that it left the US on route to its destination. NO idea where it is now and the international inquiry (to AnPost) has revealed nothing as yet. I don't know if it had to go through some intermediary location before Dublin.

As for you passport application, I was told its good for 5 months at which point you'd have to do another one. I believe you get an automatic refund on the expired application.

brianborutoo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brianborutoo » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:27 pm

rìbhinne wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:38 pm
rìbhinne wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:35 pm
Hello! I'm more of a reader than a participant but I've learnt so much from reading this forum!

I sent my documents today and I'm a bit concerned. UPS wouldn't ship because the address is a PO Box. I had to use USPS and they said there's a new policy and there would be a $21 customs fee on delivery. I purchased a cashier's cheque and put it in the envelope stating it was for the customs fee but I'm concerned the package will be turned away without opening it to see the cashier's cheque. I had to declare a value so I only declared $1.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've never heard of a customs fee for documents.
**update**
USPS and An Post have marked this as delivered. Whew! Now the waiting begins...
Glad to hear that rìbhinne. For my part, the USPS tracking is unchanged and AnPost shows nothing. Now nearly 60 days. *cries a little* Can you shed any light on the routing of your package (since it was also through USPS)? Was your fee necessary, in the end, and used? I am still mystified as to the need for a customs fee on documents like these. The clerk in the post office did nothing about any of the right side of the customs declaration form on mine.

Ssgogo16
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Ssgogo16 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:59 pm

alexkean1986 wrote:
Good Morning.

I don’t think any of us believe him but Foreign Affairs minister Martin in reply to a question during a session of parliament on 21st of March 2023 stated “ During 2022, my Department implemented a number of measures to address the volume of FBR applications on hand, with a view to significantly reducing the processing time for these applications. These measures, which include increased staffing directed towards the processing of FBR applications, have been successful in reducing the waiting time for applicants. FBR applications are now being processed within the normal turnaround times of between 6 and 9 months from receipt of supporting documents, down from over 2 years in September 2022.”

Ssgogo16
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Ssgogo16 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:03 pm

brianborutoo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:21 pm
Ssgogo16 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:37 am
brianborutoo wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:44 pm
Ssgogo16 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:50 pm
I’ll say I hope they are back to processing replacements! I’ve been trying to call the FBR line to confirm they have the supporting documents and application in queue. It’s certainly most unfortunate for my father who is unable to renew his passport without the FBR replacement and wants to travel to Europe soon.

Please if you do unfortunately have to go replacement route keep us updated. There’s really very little information anywhere on replacement certificates and what to expect. I wish you the best of luck with usps!
Hey, Ssgogo16. I should think they'd have to turn to replacements very soon, if they've not already simply b/c they're down to times akin to what they had before Brexit. That said, they may not keep up this pace and who knows what kind of staffing they'll have going forward. At any rate, it is an unfortunate state of affairs for anyone needing the certificate. I wish you and your father well. As for USPS, I'll let folks know ... as well as what I can ascertain regarding the provision of replacement certificates.

This conversation sparked me to call in today to the line. Replacement certificates are currently estimated to resume printing sometime between August-October of 2023. He did note they will send out email correspondence when that resumes as each replacement application is reviewed.
Thanks for checking into that! It is looking like I'm going to have to replace mine given that USPS inquiry into my package has revealed nothing at nearly 2 months since it left the US. AnPost shows nothing and I've submitted an inquiry there as well (of my own).

If you do request a replacement I’ve heard sending a separate letter in the mail asking they expedite your replacement can help. You’ll also have to mail supporting documentation just like the original application. I am still shocked USPS lost a priority mail package!

Wishing you the best of luck!

rìbhinne
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rìbhinne » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:17 am

brianborutoo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:27 pm
Glad to hear that rìbhinne. For my part, the USPS tracking is unchanged and AnPost shows nothing. Now nearly 60 days. *cries a little* Can you shed any light on the routing of your package (since it was also through USPS)? Was your fee necessary, in the end, and used? I am still mystified as to the need for a customs fee on documents like these. The clerk in the post office did nothing about any of the right side of the customs declaration form on mine.
It sounds to me that yours never left USPS, or Cincinnati. I sent mine from Los Angeles, they departed for Ireland from Newark which is the route all of the parcels I send to Ireland go. I still have a lot of family in Ireland and we post things often. I assume it didn't need the cheque I threw in for the supposed customs duty as it was delivered to post box and not held. I haven't received the confirmation of receipt the documents from FBR yet. It's a shame DHL won't deliver to a PO Box. I order my tea directly from Barry's in Cork and it somehow shows up at my door within a couple days.

Perhaps you need to go a bit Karen on USPS and ask to speak to the supervisor?

alexkean1986
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alexkean1986 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:19 am

Ssgogo16 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:59 pm
alexkean1986 wrote:
Good Morning.

I don’t think any of us believe him but Foreign Affairs minister Martin in reply to a question during a session of parliament on 21st of March 2023 stated “ During 2022, my Department implemented a number of measures to address the volume of FBR applications on hand, with a view to significantly reducing the processing time for these applications. These measures, which include increased staffing directed towards the processing of FBR applications, have been successful in reducing the waiting time for applicants. FBR applications are now being processed within the normal turnaround times of between 6 and 9 months from receipt of supporting documents, down from over 2 years in September 2022.”
That would be great🤞. Can I ask where you see this information? All I can find is from February stating 10 months.
Also, I continue concerned about the fact I sent my application without prepaying as it timed out when I was doing my application and after calling in was advised to send it anyway.
It timed out when I was first printing documents to check then didn't want to start again incase it conflicted with original application.
Any clarification on this would put my mind at ease.
Thank you

alexkean1986
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by alexkean1986 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:44 am

I keep seeing everyones timelines stating 'documents received'
Is this the date provided by the postal tracking or should I have received confirmation from the FBR office?
Thanks In advance 🙂