ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Used wrong form (not MN1) for Child's BC application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

adi27
India

Used wrong form (not MN1) for Child's BC application

Post by adi27 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:21 pm

Hello,

I was very late to realise that there is a separate MN1 form meant to be used for a child born in UK and went ahead with submission of the form. I think I've used AN form instead and submitted my child's BC (British Citizenship) application through .

My child was born in UK and I currently hold a settled ILR status. My BC application also went through separately and I'm awaiting the ceremony.

UKVACS did flag this on the bio-metrics day, but they left the decision up to me to either withdraw and reapply or to go ahead with submission.Being unsure whether I'd get the full application refund if I chose to withdraw, I asked them to go ahead with submission.

I'm now worried that my child's application will be rejected. Can someone please share their experiences or opinions in this regard? Would it be rejected just because I've used a wrong application form? Or will they allow me to correct or submit more documentation? The AN form/application did ask me for Parent's consent letter which I've submitted through UKVACS. This made me think I was on the right track :(

Also, I paid £1330 in total for this application.Assuming it all goes through well (fingers crossed), will I be able to apply for a refund of the difference amount of adult vs child application cost which if I am not wrong is around £1023?
OR
Am I at risk of losing whole application fee of £1330?

Will be grateful of any advice and thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks,
Adi

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Used wrong form (not MN1) for Child's BC application

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:32 pm

If you applied online for yourself did you then at the end select the option to add another applicant under 18?
If you did the system would have adjusted to the MN1 format.

Did you not think the questions about LITUK and English tests for a child were not appropriate??
I think UKVI will just return it with a refund because a child cannot be naturalised....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:33 pm

On the 2nd March, you stated you had submitted form MN1??

british-citizenship/child-born-in-uk-pa ... l#p2106889

You should NOT have proceeded with the biometrics appointment if you think you had made a mistake. Refunds are not usually provided once you have attended the biometric appointment.

The two forms, AN and MN1, are completely different with different rules.

Are you sure you completed the wrong form? Did you not think something was odd when you got the English and LIUK questions in the form?

Did you apply for the child by adding to YOUR application/form or did you apply on a separate form entirely?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

adi27
India

Post by adi27 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:49 pm

Yes, my mistake may be. I'm pretty sure I searched for MN1 form online and went through GOV website. It would have helped if the online form had this mentioned somewhere.

I've applied for the child separately after my application was approved.

So am I going to lose £1330? :cry:

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:45 pm

It would be an invalid application because children are only registered, not naturalised which is for adults.
You should get a refund of the fee less an admin fee of £25 for "Processing an application which is subsequently rejected as invalid".
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

adi27
India

Post by adi27 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:36 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:45 pm
It would be an invalid application because children are only registered, not naturalised which is for adults.
You should get a refund of the fee less an admin fee of £25 for "Processing an application which is subsequently rejected as invalid".
Hopefully so, many thanks, I've read that too. Really hope that my silly mistake is not going to cost me a fortune :-(. I guess this will also mean that I can't re-apply using correct form this time until I hear back from the home office. Not sure when.

adi27
India

Post by adi27 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:51 pm

Just wanted to share an update.....

We have now thankfully received the registration certificate on the same application. However, there is no other communication from the Home office (no email/nothing). I'm a bit relieve on the receipt of the certificate and I'm just hoping that the Home office would also kindly refund the difference amount of £300 odd.

Thanks again for all the kind suggestions.