ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Effect of discharged DRO on Citizenship/ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fraz
United Kingdom

Effect of discharged DRO on Citizenship/ILR

Post by fraz » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:19 pm

Hello All,

I have recently received visa based on 7 years child route (my children private life). My previous ILR was refused in 2017 after which were on Section 17 Children Act 1989 support until Dec 2022.

I have HMRC and some bank loan debt. I became defaulter by bank in 2019 and credit history shows 2 defaults since 2019. I was paying HMRC debt 4-5 years ago but then stopped as had no income and immigration status.

My question is if I apply for Debt Relief Order now due to my financial hardships and mental health problems (taking antidepressants since 2018). Will DRO affect my ILR/Citizenship application in 2033. My understanding is my DRO will be discharged in 2029 if I apply now.

I need your assistance and guidance on this please.

Thank you for you time and help.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Effect of discharged DRO on Citizenship/ILR

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:58 pm

I can only comment on citizenship - ILR is immigration and there may be different requirements.
In terms of being in debt as such doesn't disqualify you from naturalisation, even defaulting and CCJs are not an issue as long as you comply with the repayment arrangements and other agreements you have made around this. However, being a reckless defaulter and serial bankrupt are likely to make it difficult getting approved (just my opinion!).
Please do review the good character guidance issued by UKVI for naturalisation:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
Other rules may apply for ILR.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

fraz
United Kingdom

Post by fraz » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:58 pm
I can only comment on citizenship - ILR is immigration and there may be different requirements.
In terms of being in debt as such doesn't disqualify you from naturalisation, even defaulting and CCJs are not an issue as long as you comply with the repayment arrangements and other agreements you have made around this. However, being a reckless defaulter and serial bankrupt are likely to make it difficult getting approved (just my opinion!).
Please do review the good character guidance issued by UKVI for naturalisation:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
Other rules may apply for ILR.
Thanks for your reply and sharing the good character guidance. I have read this guidance but it is emphasizing more on payment plans etc. But I need advice on DRO.

I would welcome and request further information on DRO please

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:14 pm

A DRO is registered with the insolvency service and recorded on a public searchable register. This is one of the checks done by ukvi when you apply for citizenship

Unsure if your dates are correct, but no one could possibly tell you what the requirements and potential changes will be for either ILR or citizenship in 10 years time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

fraz
United Kingdom

Post by fraz » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:14 pm
A DRO is registered with the insolvency service and recorded on a public searchable register. This is one of the checks done by ukvi when you apply for citizenship

Unsure if your dates are correct, but no one could possibly tell you what the requirements and potential changes will be for either ILR or citizenship in 10 years time.
Thanks very much for your input. Just to clarify the dates (years) are all correct.