ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Naturalisation Form AN does not ask about children

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CosmosS
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Naturalisation Form AN does not ask about children

Post by CosmosS » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:38 am

Just filled out my form AN online and double checked it. It does ask one about pretty much everything.
However, there is nothing in it that asks about whether you have any children. Have I missed something?
My child was born here and was subsequently registered as a British citizen when I got my ILR but there is nowhere I could mention this.

Thanks. It may very well be that form AN does not ask about this but I just found it really odd and wondered whether I am missing a section etc./picked a wrong option.

CosmosS
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: British Naturalisation Form AN does not ask about children

Post by CosmosS » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:18 am

Another question please.

During my ILR application - I was asked this question: Have you previously been granted leave to remain under Tier 2 (General) as a doctor, dentist, nurse or midwife, and passed an English Language assessment accepted by the relevant regulated professional body as a requirement for registration? I answered Yes but was never asked to provide a test certificate. I was exempt because of being registered with the GMC.

Now in the citizenship application it is saying:

"Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application."

Given that I did not actually use the certificate and was exempt in my settlement application, it appears that I have now lost the chance to use my certificate from 2017 in my citizenship application.
The rules are incredibly poorly made. Had I not said I was exempt during my ILR and had I used the certificate, I would not have had to do another exam now. Not sure whether this is an oversight by whoever designed the random rules but I probably should take another exam. The rules are clear. Agree?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:18 am

Even if you were exempt from needing a language test for previous immigration applications you still need it for naturalisation which is not an immigration application. Even if you took a test and it wasn’t required at the time and it is now expired. It’s not an oversight.

Regarding children the application doesn’t ask about children, correct. Your child’s British citizenship has no bearing on your own application.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CosmosS
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by CosmosS » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:26 am

For me, it is an oversight. The team that has done the application form and specific rules regarding the English exams has made errors.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

According to this, I could have used my B1 qualification from 2017 in my ILR application in 2022. I did not use it because I thought it is simply easier to click exempt. Even though the results were from 2017, it is still on the current list of acceptable qualifications and was also accepted in a previous immigration application in 2017. Therefore, it meets the two tests and would have been admissible in my ILR application. The rules clearly state: Applying to settle: "You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if both of the following are true:
it’s on the current list of recognised tests
it was accepted for another UK immigration application, for example when you got permission to enter"

Had I used the test for my ILR application (instead of clicking exempt), I would then have been able to use it for my citizenship application. The rules clearly state "Applying for citizenship:
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.".

It is basically a trapdoor for healthcare professionals. If you click exempt rather than attaching your previously accepted English language qualification in your settlement application, then you'd need to take another test for citizenship.
How does that make any sense? Should I inform UKVI about this in a complaint etc.? Or it a lost cause? I know I'll have to retake a test anyway as I want to get this done now but the rules are completely broken.