ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application Discussion 2022

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Passport Application Discussion 2022

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:37 am

Fromireland wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:22 pm
Hoping someone can help! My first time passport app was just received today. The passport tracker says I need to submit supporting documents. I closely followed the documentation guidelines so the application should be complete. I’m wondering if maybe Im getting that message because the package has been received but the materials haven’t yet been reviewed. Sound familiar to anyone?
Dont worry it is the standard message.

[1] Application received: We have received your Passport Online application. We cannot process it until you send us, by post, the required supporting documents.
[2] Alert: We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
[3] Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
[4] Processing application: Your application is being processed.
[5] Printing: Your Passport book is being printed. Any documents submitted will be returned separately.

Fromireland
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Fromireland » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:51 am

Omg thank you mr_knight! Good karma to you, sir :)

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:04 pm

Mr_Knight wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:37 am
Fromireland wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:22 pm
Hoping someone can help! My first time passport app was just received today. The passport tracker says I need to submit supporting documents. I closely followed the documentation guidelines so the application should be complete. I’m wondering if maybe Im getting that message because the package has been received but the materials haven’t yet been reviewed. Sound familiar to anyone?
Dont worry it is the standard message.

[1] Application received: We have received your Passport Online application. We cannot process it until you send us, by post, the required supporting documents.
[2] Alert: We have received your application. You must submit your supporting documents to proceed with the application.
[3] Processing application: We have received your supporting documents. We are now verifying these documents.
[4] Processing application: Your application is being processed.
[5] Printing: Your Passport book is being printed. Any documents submitted will be returned separately.
Mr. Knight,
Just curious - what is the difference between messages 1 and 2? Thanks!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:27 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:04 pm
Mr. Knight,
Just curious - what is the difference between messages 1 and 2? Thanks!
No idea. 1 & 2 are versions of the same thing. Just like 3 & 4. It could be a mind trick to make things seem like they are moving forward.

JIMMY27
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by JIMMY27 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:04 am

hi,
I have recently had my FBR application approved and am trying to get all the documents ready to apply for my first passport. Does anyone know if i need to send my current passport all the way to Ireland. i need it to travel and cant risk not having it for a month or 2 while my application is processed. Is a certified copy of my current passport sufficient?

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:40 pm

JIMMY27 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:04 am
hi,
I have recently had my FBR application approved and am trying to get all the documents ready to apply for my first passport. Does anyone know if i need to send my current passport all the way to Ireland. i need it to travel and cant risk not having it for a month or 2 while my application is processed. Is a certified copy of my current passport sufficient?
YMMV but that should work. That's what I am planning to do. Will have the copy notarized (USA) as a true and accurate copy.

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:03 pm

Hi All - I sent in my application supporting documents at the beginning of march via USPS "Priority Mail Express International". It was expensive and supposed to arrive within 5-days and it is anything but express.

The tracking shows its last scan in Dublin over a week ago. I'm not sure why I continue to use USPS over UPS or FedEx but I really regret it. My passport is sitting in that envelope. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Tracking: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 64073563US

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:25 pm

hummingbear wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:03 pm
Hi All - I sent in my application supporting documents at the beginning of march via USPS "Priority Mail Express International". It was expensive and supposed to arrive within 5-days and it is anything but express.

The tracking shows its last scan in Dublin over a week ago. I'm not sure why I continue to use USPS over UPS or FedEx but I really regret it. My passport is sitting in that envelope. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Tracking: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 64073563US
I sent my FBR application documents the same way, and it showed the same thing but it's probably wrong. They were delivered properly. They probably don't have a scanner that connects to the US system at the final destination, or they are just not using it. Keep checking the passport site.

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:10 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:25 pm
I sent my FBR application documents the same way, and it showed the same thing but it's probably wrong. They were delivered properly. They probably don't have a scanner that connects to the US system at the final destination, or they are just not using it. Keep checking the passport site.
Thanks for some reassurance. I had to send FBR additional documents in December and they arrived in just over a week: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 63993874US

I've kept checking the passport application tracking but no updates on that end either. Anyone else reading this do not use USPS, stick with a private company like UPS or FedEx.

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered
England

Post by ilikefrogs » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 am

My passport and passport card were posted last Tuesday.

I have the tracking numbers and they left AnPost at 4am on Tuesday morning.

No further updates since. I don’t know if this means they have got lost, or if Royal Mail aren’t updating the tracking.

A bit annoying really but almost there!

ilikefrogs
Newly Registered
England

Post by ilikefrogs » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 am

And just like that my passport has arrived!

My passport card should be here in a couple of working days.

The lengthy journey is over. It took a while, but it was worth the wait. It’s a little bit emotional too.

Thanks for your gift beyond the grave, Nan.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:55 pm

hummingbear wrote:

If I remember correctly, when I sent my FBR packet, USPS was the only one that would deliver to the PO Box - UPS, FedEx and DHL would only deliver to a street address. For the passport packet, is it a PO Box or actual street address that you send the paperwork to after you do the online application?

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:09 pm

FED EX and UPS will NOT deliver to PO Box. I have used USPS about 4 times sending documents to Ireland, they have all arrived within 10 days of sending (From East Coast). I used Priority International. Easy to track in the US then transfers over to AN POST in Ireland, same tracking number.

misscat2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by misscat2 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:03 am

HI All

I am looking for a bit of advice, having completed the online application I will posting my documents on Tuesday. I am sending my UK passport (is this wise - I don't need it until I get my Irish passport). Also who is recommended to post it with from the UK? I have heard there are issues with Royal Mail so I wondered who others have had a good service from

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:24 am

misscat2 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:03 am
HI All

I am looking for a bit of advice, having completed the online application I will posting my documents on Tuesday. I am sending my UK passport (is this wise - I don't need it until I get my Irish passport). Also who is recommended to post it with from the UK? I have heard there are issues with Royal Mail so I wondered who others have had a good service from
Have the online chat with the passport team in DFA. Tell them you heard these terrible stories with Royal Mail and would like to use a courier service instead, and ask them for a non-PO BOX address. They should be able to provide you with one, but if they insist on using Royal Mail, there is not much you can do.

You can send a certified copy of your UK passport instead if you want to keep the originals with you.

SPD78
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by SPD78 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:36 pm

misscat2 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:03 am
HI All

Hi
I sent my passport application last Saturday 25 /3/23 via special delivery (tracked ) at the post office using Royal Mail.
Like you I was a little worried doing so as of hearing the problems some people faced. Anyway my application arrived the Thursday after 30/3/23 and been tracking the passport application and they are now processing the passport and have a estimated date of the passport arriving on 3/5/23.
Hope this helps you

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:48 am

hummingbear wrote:

I sent mine last October from where I live in California, it took i think 11 days just to get to NY, then a few more days to get to Dublin. As far as I understand it, you can't use Fedex or UPS because they don't deliver to PO Boxes. Hopefully you get an update soon!

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:53 pm

Online Passport Application: March 1,2023
Supporting Documents received in Balbriggan: March 7, 2023
Witness Verification Phone Call: April 3, 2023
Estimated due date: April 5, 2023
Status Changed to Passport Printing: TBD

Passports for two daughters submitted as one package. When witness was called, they asked about both daughters.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:49 pm

Patpatriot wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:53 pm

Passports for two daughters submitted as one package. When witness was called, they asked about both daughters.
What country are you in, Patpatriot? If not in the US, does anyone know if witness is typically called for US applications?

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:32 pm

I'm in US. They called my witness both times for my passport, first one they couldn't get a hold of so I had to resubmit with a new witness. This was for my daughters, so I would say "almost" 100% of the time they call for first time passports although I have seen some say their witness wasn't contacted but it's rare. For what it's worth the phone call was like 1 minute long.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:24 am

TrishMc wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:49 pm
Patpatriot wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:53 pm

What country are you in, Patpatriot? If not in the US, does anyone know if witness is typically called for US applications?
From what I understand, they do call the witnesses. However, in the US due to the time zone differences, it is often someone at the nearest embassy who calls. They don't have people from Dublin calling for example witnesses in California, as we are 8 hours behind them

Patpatriot
United States of America

Post by Patpatriot » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:07 pm

It's funny you mention the Embassy thing, because my witness was called from a 202 area code which is Washington D.C. area.

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:33 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:48 am
I sent mine last October from where I live in California, it took i think 11 days just to get to NY, then a few more days to get to Dublin. As far as I understand it, you can't use Fedex or UPS because they don't deliver to PO Boxes. Hopefully you get an update soon!
You can ask for the non PO Box number and for an actual address. I have had a wide variety in delivery times with USPS. I paid for Priority Mail Express International and it took 3-weeks to arrive, I was pretty pissed. Both An Post and USPS were no help. From my understanding it had been given to AnPost but it just sat waiting to be processed. It eventually was delivered.

I do not recommend using USPS, ask for the street address and use UPS or FedEx who will tender the package the entire way. USPS just hands it off to AnPost and they could care less about delivery times

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:37 pm

JIMMY27 wrote:
hi,
Can we sticky this somewhere. I have seen this question asked sooooo many times. No you do not need to send your original, you can get an original certified copy. It has worked for multiple people, and of course YMMV.

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:57 pm

hummingbear wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:37 pm
JIMMY27 wrote:
hi,
Can we sticky this somewhere. I have seen this question asked sooooo many times. No you do not need to send your original, you can get an original certified copy. It has worked for multiple people, and of course YMMV.
Funny enough this is mentioned in cover letter stating you can send your documents certified and not original. I think people need to read the instructions more carefully.