ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Legal proceedings on a visitor visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Legal proceedings on a visitor visa

Post by Bambino-fred » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:52 pm

My partner and children are currently in the UK on a visitor visa. I want to start a legal case now while they are here, based on 'the right to a family life' principle, aimed at enabling all three of them to stay.

1 / I assume the Home Office will allow the three of them to stay in the UK while the case is ongoing, even if their visa expires, is that correct ?

2 / If the case is unsuccessful, will that mean the three of them will probably be refused any UK visa in the future ?

Thanks for any answers / tips

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Legal proceedings on a visitor visa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:57 pm

Is this the same partner you have asked about numerous different visa routes to the UK for since 2017?

uk-tier-4-student-visas/student-visas-a ... l#p1713009

member/Bambino-fred/posts/

Are you married or still just unmarried partners?

Why can your partner not apply for a partner visa from her home country like everyone else does?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:14 pm

Bambino-fred wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:52 pm
I want to start a legal case now while they are here, based on 'the right to a family life' principle
Freemovement: There’s actually no right to family life in the UK
You could be forgiven for assuming that is all you need. You have family in the UK, so requiring you to leave the UK would breach your Article 8 right to family life. It’s not so simple.

You also need to show that you could not enjoy your family life elsewhere. There is no right to enjoy your family life in the UK. Your British partner or child may well wish to stay in the UK and, as citizens, they are entitled to do so. However, in order for you to stay in the UK with them, you need to show you could not live as a family elsewhere.
The right to family life is not absolute. It can be interfered with in the interests of maintaining effective immigration control. All cases involve what lawyers and judges call a “balancing exercise”, with the right to family life on one side of the scales and the public interest in immigration control on the other. This is also known as the “proportionality assessment”.

The above generalisation is true for every family life case, though the specifics change from case to case.
As the Home Office’s guidance puts it (on page 52):

a British citizen partner who has lived in the UK all their life, has friends and family here, works here and speaks only English may not wish to uproot and relocate halfway across the world, and it may be very difficult for them to do so. However, a significant degree of hardship or inconvenience does not amount to an insurmountable obstacle. ECHR Article 8 does not oblige the UK to accept the choice of a couple as to which country they would prefer to reside in....
Bambino-fred wrote:
1 / I assume the Home Office will allow the three of them to stay in the UK while the case is ongoing, even if their visa expires, is that correct ?
To the best of my knowledge (and I am not a lawyer, so check with one), the mere application for judicial review will neither extend their visa nor protect them from deportation. That would only occur if the judge gave an injunction preventing their deportation or removal.

And the fact that they overstayed their visa can impact not only any future UK visa application, but also Ireland's (with whom the UK shares immigration data) and any other country that factors in visa application rejections of other countries (such as the US, if your partner is not an American citizen).
Bambino-fred wrote:
2 / If the case is unsuccessful, will that mean the three of them will probably be refused any UK visa in the future ?
You'd have not only burnt your bridges, you'd probably have nuked all the surrounding area as well.

EDIT: Found this paragraph in another Freemovement article while researching another thread.
Some guidance is provided by the Supreme Court, in the case of Agyarko [2017] UKSC 11, which considered the appeals of two women who had entered the UK as visitors and overstayed. In both cases they had British partners, and both appeals were dismissed because the women could not demonstrate that their cases raised “exceptional circumstances”.

The court concluded that Appendix FM is compatible with Article 8 of the ECHR and it is up to the Home Office to decide what “exceptional circumstances” and “unjustifiably harsh consequences” mean.
There is thus case law from the UK Supreme Court that would suggest that any application made by you on the grounds you have suggested is likely to fail.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Post by Bambino-fred » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:08 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:57 pm
Is this the same partner you have asked about numerous different visa routes to the UK for since 2017?
yes
CR001 wrote:
Are you married or still just unmarried partners?
Unmarried partners
CR001 wrote:
Why can your partner not apply for a partner visa from her home country like everyone else does?
She could. The problem I now face is her eldest daughter is getting closer to age 18. As I understand it, once she is 18, she is no longer considered a dependent and therefore can not be included in any legal visa application made by her mother. I am unwilling to risk not being able to enable her daughter to stay with us.
For different reasons, her mother is finding it difficult to pass the A1 test and I can not rely on her passing the test before her daughter reaches 18. And her mother is unlikely to stay in the UK and leave her daughter alone, even if she is 18. I have tried to do evrything legally over many years, but its proven too difficult and it seems the only option I have left is applying on the basis of a right to family life. The mother also has another younger daughter.
Thanks for your reply and any further ideas / tips, gratefully received.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:00 pm

You are heading down a very dark path. The circumstances that you have outlined and the previous history from what I gather from the forum you would certainly fall within the scope of being considered under the criminal act of facilitating the illegal entry of individuals to the UK.

I would seek immediate advice on the matter because once an application is made to remain in the UK the circumstances of your partners entry will be considered in the round. Entering under a visit visa with the intention to remain and sponsoring / supporting the entry are illegal acts.