ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application Discussion 2022

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TrishMc
United States of America

Re: Passport Application Discussion 2022

Post by TrishMc » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:51 pm

hummingbear wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:33 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:48 am
I sent mine last October from where I live in California, it took i think 11 days just to get to NY, then a few more days to get to Dublin. As far as I understand it, you can't use Fedex or UPS because they don't deliver to PO Boxes. Hopefully you get an update soon!
You can ask for the non PO Box number and for an actual address. I have had a wide variety in delivery times with USPS. I paid for Priority Mail Express International and it took 3-weeks to arrive, I was pretty pissed. Both An Post and USPS were no help. From my understanding it had been given to AnPost but it just sat waiting to be processed. It eventually was delivered.

I do not recommend using USPS, ask for the street address and use UPS or FedEx who will tender the package the entire way. USPS just hands it off to AnPost and they could care less about delivery times
Hi hummingbear - that sounds like good advice and I would like to do that. Who would you ask for the non-PO Box street address, though? During my FBR process it was virtually impossible to contact anyone. Do you have an email address or WhatsApp number? TIA!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:59 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:51 pm
hummingbear wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:33 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:48 am
I sent mine last October from where I live in California, it took i think 11 days just to get to NY, then a few more days to get to Dublin. As far as I understand it, you can't use Fedex or UPS because they don't deliver to PO Boxes. Hopefully you get an update soon!
You can ask for the non PO Box number and for an actual address. I have had a wide variety in delivery times with USPS. I paid for Priority Mail Express International and it took 3-weeks to arrive, I was pretty pissed. Both An Post and USPS were no help. From my understanding it had been given to AnPost but it just sat waiting to be processed. It eventually was delivered.

I do not recommend using USPS, ask for the street address and use UPS or FedEx who will tender the package the entire way. USPS just hands it off to AnPost and they could care less about delivery times
Hi hummingbear - that sounds like good advice and I would like to do that. Who would you ask for the non-PO Box street address, though? During my FBR process it was virtually impossible to contact anyone. Do you have an email address or WhatsApp number? TIA!
Just wanted to say, remember that unlike FBR, there is a chat support for passports. They might be able to give you the alternate address on there.

There is a phone number, it's listed here under Customer Service Hub.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/#CSH

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:51 pm

hummingbear wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:03 pm
Hi All - I sent in my application supporting documents at the beginning of march via USPS "Priority Mail Express International". It was expensive and supposed to arrive within 5-days and it is anything but express.

The tracking shows its last scan in Dublin over a week ago. I'm not sure why I continue to use USPS over UPS or FedEx but I really regret it. My passport is sitting in that envelope. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Tracking: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 64073563US
I'm getting pricing of $80 - 100 for FedEx and UPS from US to Ireland (eek!). I think I will stick with USPS again unless someone has a better suggestion.

misscat2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by misscat2 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:49 pm

So I took the plunge and sent my documents via Royal Mail and posted it on Monday 3rd April knowing that it would be delayed because of the easter bank holidays but it arrived today so took 8 days which isnt too bad. Now I will just be watching the tracking on the application page to see how its progressing!

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:25 pm

My passport was printed and dispatched on April 6th. Last update was April 6th where it said "leaving Dublin mail centre" Hasn't updated since. I assume the Easter bank holiday is the reason? On royal mail it also still says "leaving overseas"

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:21 pm

Valo wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:25 pm
My passport was printed and dispatched on April 6th. Last update was April 6th where it said "leaving Dublin mail centre" Hasn't updated since. I assume the Easter bank holiday is the reason? On royal mail it also still says "leaving overseas"
My passport book was dispatched a day before my passport card but I got the card 6 days before my passport book arrived. Both also just showed in tracking as stuck in Dublin & did'nt update. If feels so good to just hold them in the hand after all the rigamarole......

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:35 am

Mr_Knight wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:21 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:25 pm
My passport book was dispatched a day before my passport card but I got the card 6 days before my passport book arrived. Both also just showed in tracking as stuck in Dublin & did'nt update. If feels so good to just hold them in the hand after all the rigamarole......
Given the state of public services in Britain these days, I have a feeling that's less to do with An Post and more to do with Royal Mail. Literally nothing in this country works as it should. Good to hear it arrived for you. My passport card was printed and dispatched today.... still don't have the passport book in hand despite that being printed and dispatched on April 6th... maybe it is a problem with the tracking...

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:03 pm

Does anyone know how many business days does it take for documents to be verified for applications made by naturalized Irish citizens living in Ireland?

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:56 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:51 pm
hummingbear wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:03 pm
Hi All - I sent in my application supporting documents at the beginning of march via USPS "Priority Mail Express International". It was expensive and supposed to arrive within 5-days and it is anything but express.

The tracking shows its last scan in Dublin over a week ago. I'm not sure why I continue to use USPS over UPS or FedEx but I really regret it. My passport is sitting in that envelope. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Tracking: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... 64073563US
I'm getting pricing of $80 - 100 for FedEx and UPS from US to Ireland (eek!). I think I will stick with USPS again unless someone has a better suggestion.
Going forward use pirateship.com - much better prices on all carriers. My USPS Priority Mail Express International was $64 and I think UPS and FedEx were similar

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:01 am

mentalmind wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:03 pm
Does anyone know how many business days does it take for documents to be verified for applications made by naturalized Irish citizens living in Ireland?
They don't post any specifics on that, just if you're first time application, renewal...etc
https://www.dfa.ie/passports/turnaround-times/

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi all. I just mailed the first passport application supporting documentation to Balbriggan from US. Does anyone know if the barcode that the passport office included with the address label is an AnPost or passport office tracking? That is, once it arrives in Ireland, I expect AnPost will scan it, so will I be able to see it on AnPost tracking before it arrives at the passport office? Or is AnPost linked to passport office with the barcode? Thanks!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:12 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:54 pm
Hi all. I just mailed the first passport application supporting documentation to Balbriggan from US. Does anyone know if the barcode that the passport office included with the address label is an AnPost or passport office tracking? That is, once it arrives in Ireland, I expect AnPost will scan it, so will I be able to see it on AnPost tracking before it arrives at the passport office? Or is AnPost linked to passport office with the barcode? Thanks!
The barcode is your (& the passports department) link to identify your application. It is not connected to An Post. So you can track the passport application process, not to track its physical delivery.

juleppe
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by juleppe » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 pm

Quick question.

When applying for the passport first time adult, they ask for the following:

Identity verification form.
Original Naturalisation Certificate
Full original civil birth certificate (version that includes the name(s) of the parent(s)).
Original Civil marriage or Civil Partnership certificate (if applying for a passport in your married name).
Proof of address such as Government correspondence such as a letter from the Department of Social

What Full original civil birth certificate are they asking for? from country of birth or Irish one?

If the Full original civil birth certificate is from the country of birth, does it need a certified translation?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:28 pm

juleppe wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 pm
What Full original civil birth certificate are they asking for? from country of birth or Irish one?
Don't think you can get an Irish birth certificate if you were not born in Ireland.
juleppe wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 pm
If the Full original civil birth certificate is from the country of birth, does it need a certified translation?
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/t ... sport.html
If your documents are not in English you must also supply a certified English version, translated by a registered translator.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:56 pm

Has anyone had their docs back from the passport office before getting their passport and card?

My docs have been sent back and my application is still processing status. I had a temporary delay due to them rejecting my photos and my estimated issue date is 24th April. I just find it a bit odd that I have had these docs back already.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:21 pm

Apple10 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:56 pm
Has anyone had their docs back from the passport office before getting their passport and card?

My docs have been sent back and my application is still processing status. I had a temporary delay due to them rejecting my photos and my estimated issue date is 24th April. I just find it a bit odd that I have had these docs back already.
I wonder about this also. My documents have yet to be returned. I recieved my card a week before the book eventhough it was printed & dispatched a day later. Nothing makes sense :roll:

Gisby
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Gisby » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:32 am

How long does it usually take for them to scan your application once it's received and the online tracker to be updated?

My documents were delivered and signed for in Balbriggan on 12th April and the online tracker still hasn't updated to reflect that...really hope they haven't lost it!

I guess it could be leftover backlog from Easter

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:07 am

Gisby wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:32 am
How long does it usually take for them to scan your application once it's received and the online tracker to be updated?

My documents were delivered and signed for in Balbriggan on 12th April and the online tracker still hasn't updated to reflect that...really hope they haven't lost it!

How do you know your documents were delivered and signed for? I sent mine via USPS and the US tracking seems to have stopped once the package reached Dublin on 15APR.

Gisby
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Gisby » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:23 am

TrishMc wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:07 am
Gisby wrote:

How do you know your documents were delivered and signed for? I sent mine via USPS and the US tracking seems to have stopped once the package reached Dublin on 15APR.
I can't answer for how USPS tracks as I sent mine from the UK, but my documents sat in Dublin for 10 days before actually being delivered

gkerlin
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by gkerlin » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:56 pm

TrishMc wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:07 am
Gisby wrote:

If you take your USPS tracking number and enter it into the AN Post tracking system you will get local information.

AN Post had much better, and more timely information. It does take a few days to make it thru once it hits Dublin.

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:02 pm

Gisby wrote:

Once my package was marked as delivered (both by USPS and AnPost) my application showed up in their system 2-days after.

hummingbear
Ireland

Post by hummingbear » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:04 pm

gkerlin wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:56 pm
AN Post had much better, and more timely information. It does take a few days to make it thru once it hits Dublin.
Mine took 10-days once AnPost received it in Dublin to be delivered. I think results vary widely. I would not call them timely thought :P

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:50 pm

The web site says 20 business days (4 weeks) from receipt of documents to process a first time passport application. Any actual recent experience with how long it takes to approve a first time application (from US)? Thanks!

jesonnn
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jesonnn » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:21 am

Hello, regarding my case:
First time passport application
Naturalised citizen
During the application online I got list of supporting documents and identification form
Question: official website and list of required supporting documents say nothing about passport of origin and I did all as requested and sent to passport office, however recently noticed in email that option as passport of origin is required and now worried if that can affect on my application?
By opening chat I didn't get clarification since agent said that can't verify my documents there are not scanned yet, but as copy of pcs card provided that would be sufficient.
Has anyone got the passport without providing passport of origin? Thanks

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Post by mentalmind » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:34 pm

jesonnn wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:21 am
Hello, regarding my case:
First time passport application
Naturalised citizen
During the application online I got list of supporting documents and identification form
Question: official website and list of required supporting documents say nothing about passport of origin and I did all as requested and sent to passport office, however recently noticed in email that option as passport of origin is required and now worried if that can affect on my application?
By opening chat I didn't get clarification since agent said that can't verify my documents there are not scanned yet, but as copy of pcs card provided that would be sufficient.
Has anyone got the passport without providing passport of origin? Thanks
It won't affect your application don't worry. There are previous applicants in same situation with you did application with only copy of PSC card.