ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Submitting Old Passports

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nh264
Newly Registered
Ireland

Submitting Old Passports

Post by nh264 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:42 am

Hi all,
Apologies if this was asked before, I'm new to the forum.

I'm applying for Irish Citizenship based on Naturalisation.
(I was born in the UK, UK passport, moved to Ireland aged 14, total 25 years living here).

I'm aware I need to submit my current passport, fully certified.
A bit confused as to whether I have to submit my previous UK passports covering the period I've lived in Ireland? And if so, do these also need to be certified or is it just the current one?

Thank you in advance for any help on this!

mentalmind
Member of Standing
Algeria

Re: Submitting Old Passports

Post by mentalmind » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:44 am

You need to prove 5 years of living in Ireland in past 9 years. So just send proofs (and including passports) for that 5 years. If any of your old passports has info for that duration also get them certified and send.

nh264
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by nh264 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:04 pm

Thank you for your fast reply!

I got my current passport August 2018, so would that mean I need to get the previous one certified as well? It doesn't have any particular information relating to Ireland since I was an EU citizen anyway to prior to Brexit. Only that it was issued by the FCO (Foreign Common Office).

Thanks again, much appreciated!

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:45 pm

Hi

I couldn’t find my old UK passport so I emailed citizenship for advise. My current passport like yourself is valid from 2018. This is the reply I got from citizenship.

“Please note once your are a Eu citizen / UK citizen you are not required to submit your stamps - only proofs of residency for 5 years.
Regards

Citizenship Helpdesk
Team 4”

I have not applied yet for my Irish citizenship but based on the above reply your current passport should suffice for proof of ID I guess?

ShpirtShqipe

nh264
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by nh264 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:40 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:45 pm
Hi

I couldn’t find my old UK passport so I emailed citizenship for advise. My current passport like yourself is valid from 2018. This is the reply I got from citizenship.

“Please note once your are a Eu citizen / UK citizen you are not required to submit your stamps - only proofs of residency for 5 years.
Regards

Citizenship Helpdesk
Team 4”

I have not applied yet for my Irish citizenship but based on the above reply your current passport should suffice for proof of ID I guess?

ShpirtShqipe

Thank you for your reply! I agree, it sounds like the current passport will be enough, along with the proof of residence for 5 years. I have also contacted the help desk but still waiting for a reply. Can I ask how long it took you to hear back?

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:05 pm

About 2months to get a reply

nh264
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by nh264 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:49 pm

Looks like I might be waiting a while then!